Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac Paint Work Starts 3-5-16!!!

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac!!! 3/23 Necro Update!!!

Postby Lamont » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Wow guys it has been way too long since I have posted an update. Well now that I'm up from hibernation :? :? and almost thawed out from the seemingly 8 month winter we just enjoyed. I thought I would give you guys a little heads up on Phoenix's condition. I have had a small steering fluid leak that developed once the weather really started to get cold, and I thought maybe it was caused by not using thread sealer tape or maybe some small metal shrinkage due to the cold weather. I watched the fluid level and added it as needed in hopes that the system would hold up until spring for proper maintenance. All was well until maybe 2 1/2 weeks ago when I completely lost all power steering on my way home from work :shock: :shock: . For those of you who don't know this is a very bad thing :bangshead: in such a heavy car. Once you are moving it's not too bad, but at slow speeds or stopped it was one heck of a workout :lol: :doh: . So without checking to see exactly what the problem was :doh: :nono: I assumed that the power steering pump went bad and needed to be replaced. Remember guys 2 1/2 weeks ago it was too cold to check in detail :roll: . So I ordered a remanufactured pump and new power steering and alt/ac belts from Rockauto and also a new power steering return line from 1sttoyotaparts (mine was dry rotted and cracked) in hopes that this would fix the problem :) . I was a little disappointed when I finally had a chance to look at the power steering pump area in detail. It was bone dry and didn't show any signs of wear, but I had a new pump so out with the old and in with the new :wink: . I have to say that the work itself is just awful. The space you have to work in is so small and you have to take the front driveshaft out which involves a bit to do. The brackets for the pump also have to be removed to make room for the pump to be taken out. The front bracket isn't too bad, but the rear bracket is a bear to remove. It is held in by two bolts that you have to remove by touch because once you have your hand in there you can't see anything. To install the pump is not as bad if you remember that you have to position the pump before you reinstall the brackets, all while trying not to break the oh so delicate vacuum idle up valve :pissed: :pissed: . To make a long story a little shorter :oops: it was great to finally get outside and get dirty 8) 8) . I enjoyed myself a great deal :D :D . Unfortunately the power steering pump did not fix the issue. I now have a very bad leak in the system and due to the leaks location I can't pinpoint it. So Phoenix has to make a trip to the shop in hopes that they can find the leak for me. So I'll drop Phoenix off in the morning and fingers crossed I'll be back on the road shortly. It’s been far too long guys, and now that the weather has finally broken, I hope :roll: , maybe I’ll have more updates. Thanks for following Project Phoenix guys :D :D and wish me luck that the fix won't break the bank :lol: :lol: .
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
90 Celica Alltrac (Project Phoenix)
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
My project: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33578&start=0
Lamont
Club Member

Postby UtahSleeper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Nice to see she is alive and kicking.

So, what are your hopes for her this coming summer in regards to work done?
80 Corolla Hatchback - Power (In Progress) http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3208
88 Alltrac - Snow (Waiting for the garage) http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43482

Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/id/chris52580
UtahSleeper
Established Member

Postby mike325ci » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:18 pm

oh no, sorry to hear about your troubles... don't you just hate that? chasing leaks just sucks... i hope you can take care of it soon...~ i have that intermittent starting issue that i have to look into as well, but just don't want to do it, haha...
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby Lamont » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 pm

3tcpower wrote:Nice to see she is alive and kicking.

So, what are your hopes for her this coming summer in regards to work done?

Man 3tcpower, talk about a late reply :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: . I am only planning on getting the paint and bodywork done this summer. I am being realistic and not going overboard :oops: . I would love to do more, but at this time I think it will have to do :shrug: . Phoenix is already at the body shop, but they still have a classic GTO that they have to finish before any work is started on Phoenix. The shop is close to my house so I will be stopping in after work and on the weekends to do a little work myself and to take tons of pics too.

mike325ci wrote:oh no, sorry to hear about your troubles... don't you just hate that? chasing leaks just sucks... I hope you can take care of it soon...~ I have that intermittent starting issue that I have to look into as well, but just don't want to do it, haha...

The shop traced down the leak to the power steering pressure hose. It’s the one that snakes down the firewall and is half hard-line and half high-pressure hose. Mike aka ToyLextech works at a Lexus dealership and got me a good deal on it. When it was first installed it still had a little air in the lines and would get tight at times, but now it’s fine. It is our fate to constantly repair our cars :doh: :doh: , but it is fun to get dirty :rofl: . Thanks for following Project Phoenix guys and fingers crossed I will have updated pics soon :D :D
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Postby mike325ci » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm

hey lamont, good to hear about the update... :) i've been away for a bit, i know... been "daily driving" my ST185 a lot lately, and fixed a few things here and there (clutch system, fixed my starting/electric problems, a/c), so things are going well... hope to see you around soon~
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Re: Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac Restoration Begins 10/19/12

Postby Lamont » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Hey guys, it’s been over a year since I last updated my progress on Project Phoenix. To be honest there hasn’t been much to update really. Phoenix has been sitting at the painters for over a year now. Not all due to the painter either. I have been dragging my feet as well. Well my painter is finally ready to get started, and so am I. It has been a long road to get Phoenix were it is today and I know by looking at it you can’t really see all that it took to get to this point. I have done most of the mechanical work just to get Phoenix up and running now it’s time to get the cosmetic work started. To give you guys an idea of the scope of work that will be done during the exterior restoration. My body guy will be replacing the upper and lower radiator support, cutting the rotten rear quarter panels from the car and replacing them with rear quarter panels from a Celica GTS that are in excellent condition. They are completely wrapped up and being stored in the rafters at the shop or I would have snapped a few pictures of them to show the condition, but all in due time. I will be replacing the following parts with new Toyota parts: front fenders, CS/RC hood, CS/RC front bumper, grill support (ties both fenders together and is also the bar that you attach the front grill to). So the entire front end pretty much will be getting replaced with new Toyota parts including all new hardware. I know it may sound like overkill, but I think it will really pay off with the final fit and finish to have all new parts installed where possible. I will also be replacing all of the trim pieces as well. I’m really excited to be starting on the exterior restoration. I took a few pictures while I was at the shop. Not much has been done, but just wanted to show the state of the car as it sits. The rear fender wells especially are in pretty bad condition. Here are some photos of the progress so far.

94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Postby 88gt4DE » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Good luck with her man ... I hope to get there someday myself ...
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby Lamont » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 pm

Hello guys so the restoration has been on hold for a while. Well it recently started again with the replacement of the upper radiator support and also the removal of the rusted out rear quarter panels. Unfortunately I was unable to make it down to the shop to get pictures of everything being done been a little busy. Also the front end was in pretty bad shape and needed to be straitened quite a bit. I have a few photos of how the front headlights and hood line-up now compared to how off things were in previous photos. I also had the seat reupholstered and took a few pics of how they look now. Hopefully things keep progressing smoothly and I can have Phoenix nice, straight, and painted soon. Here are a few snapshots of the progress thus far. Thank you for following Project Phoenix and I hope to post new progress pics soon.

Here is my van filled with all new Toyota Parts :D

These are the reupholstered seats.

This is the replaced upper radiator support, and the hood and fender alignment.

Here is Jeramy removing the rear quarter panel.

Here are a few pics of the donor rear quarter panels.
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Re: Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac Restoration Continues 6/13/

Postby 88gt4DE » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Keep it up man ... Those seats look incredible. Thats what I'm suppose to be doing to mine right now ... GRRRRRR engine
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby LegacyofDan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:19 pm

I am super excited to the progress from this! its been a while lamont :(
Hope all is well man!!
LegacyofDan
GTFour God

Postby Lamont » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:16 pm

LegacyofDan wrote:I am super excited to the progress from this! its been a while lamont :(
Hope all is well man!!

Hey Dan, all is well on my end, progress on Phoenix has been slow as you know, but things should be picking up pretty soon. I was hoping to be further along at this point, but I still have plenty to do once the paint is done so I have just been collecting parts lately. I should have some new progress pictures shortly. I will admit that I am chomping at the bit :lol: :lol:

Lamont
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Re: Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac Paint Work Started 12/12/13

Postby Lamont » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Hey guys, I have some great progress to report. Last week the paint work started. Unfortunately I was unable to get photos of all the parts in primer. The paint work looks very nice, but it hasn't been finish sanded and buffed yet. I also like how my painter did the underside of all the panels, very nice touch. The rear hatch and doors will be painted next. Here are the photos of the parts that have been painted so far. The pictures are not the best quality, I had to borrow a camera in order to take these. My camera was left at the shop with my painter for him to photo-document the process of replacing the rear quarter panels.

Thanks for following Project Phoenix guys!!!
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Postby 88gt4DE » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:13 am

Holy crap ! :notworthy: Dewd I hope you have a bubble to put that thing in when yer done !
Rob
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby Lamont » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:03 pm

88gt4DE wrote:Holy crap ! :notworthy: Dewd I hope you have a bubble to put that thing in when yer done !

LOL, I may get a pole tent and car cover since I don't have a garage. I don't know yet still trying to work storage out.
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
Lamont
Club Member

Postby spitfiremk16 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Paint looks good! Cant wait to see it all put back together!
spitfiremk16
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to My Project