My 88 alltrac- It never ends

LegacyofDan

glad i could be of some help man....i'm sure you will get to enjoy the car 100%, soon :)

but yeah i sent ya a pm, about the plate :)

siralys

Hey Rob, I looked at 1st toyota parts and a few other places and I didn't find the O rings. Where did you find yours? Do I have to get those from a dealership?

siralys

Awesine, I think I'll have this all fixed soon. My neighbor said I can use his shop and hooked me up with a new boost controller and a fresh set of spark plugs.

siralys

Drove the car home today! Engine feels great as does the clutch and trans, no unusual noises. I do hear a drivetrain related noise at certtain times, sounds like the driveshaft or that area. I noticed when putting my exhaust on that the midpipe is REAL close the the driveshaft so I think it hits sometimes, that would explain why it only does it sometimes and I don't feel anything when the noise happens. She was also running pretty hot coolant wise and when I got home I saw coolant leaking so I'll have to work that out this weekend. Couldn't be happier with the clutch or trans though. The 185 gear ratios are a little more in synch with my driving, don't hav an explanation it just feels right to me. I think the coolant is coming from the heater hose that goes into the firewal. Anyway my neighbor said I can bring it to his garage and work on it without getting in his way so it looks like another week of fixing the 165. Its like I can get close but I'll just never have it perfect. Oh yeah the new hub, wheel bearing and axle make the car drive sooo much better. So again some good and some bad but its gonna be so worth it in the end. I'm now 100% sure that this is the car for me.

88gt4DE

good news Seth ! funny i just put better clamps on my heater hoses too this week ... get used to the working on the 165 every week .. I am .. haha.

siralys

quick update- car is inspected now and running great. got a new boost controller that finally works so thats awesome to me lol. Also on a bad note the spring broke in my BOV so its stuck closed (better than stuck open) So yeah looks like I'll be upgrading to a recirc setup in the near future.

LegacyofDan

glad to hear that everything is going rather smoothly man :)...well with exception of the BOV but still glad to hear its going good :)

siralys

Thanks Dan, I'll be going to the oaks tomorrow. If you plan on going I'll see you there. So I'm thinking I'll be working on my car alot in the near future, me and my girl broke up. I'll be needing something to take my mind off of everything and the car makes me happy so I guess thats what I'll be focusing on

88gt4DE

Hey Seth , Good news on your car ... Im right behind you as soon as i fix my idle issue ... Put ten miles on mine and i heard that same noise you described earlier under the car .... havent searched for mine yet ...

siralys

Ok well heres the new update on the 165. So I got the motor back in all codes are now off and car was running great. I always had a little oil in the intercooler core but it wasnt enough to condemn the turbo seals... things change lol. So last week as I was driving the car the bov stopped working, soon followed by blue smoke in the exhaust at idle. Looked into it and now I know its the turbo seals, must have gotten worse since I pulled the motor. So I just bought a turbo from klue, did my research and went with a ceramic twin entry. So I'm putting that in, fixing the oil cooler o rings and putting in some new silicon couplers and bov next week hopefully. Thats it for now!

siralys

So started the new project. Took the old turbo off and I know why it took a crap. Everything was completely rigged. The 2gen trubo was held on by two studs with a cracked 1st gen manifold to turbo gasket. The oil feed line is pinched because it looks like it was bent to fit and instead of a gasket for the oil lines there was blue goo shit all over it, pretty much completely blocking the oil feed hole. Great, off to a good start. Then the ex manifold studs came out... with the threads, prolly got overtorqued when put in. So by now I'm really pissed, everything we took off was just terrible. The turbo I just got in the other week has more shaft play then the one I'm taking out, I just hope it lasts long enough to figure out another one or rebuild the ct26. If the seals are bad in this one I'm gonna flip shit. I just spent 300 for this turbo and now I prolly need another one. My instructor keeps making fun of me by pretending to dump bolts into my intake because he thinks the compressor wheel is gonna hit the housing. FML!