My 88 alltrac- It never ends

siralys

Ok so for those of you who don't know me my name is Seth and I bought Bori's 88 alltrac. I didn't know it would turn out to be such a big project but I guess thats just how it goes with these cars. Heres a list of what I did so far,
-Pligs, wires, cap and rotor
-Foil taped the intercooler and a few other things
-Changed all the fluids
-7" i/c fan and 16" rad fan- its a beast
-New hub, wheel bearing and axle on front left side
-New oil pan gasket
-New clutch, resurfaced the flywheel and put in a jdm 185 trans
-Evap can/ cruise control removed
-New fuel filter
-New lugnuts and painted my gts wheels
-Cleaned almost all of the black paint from the valve cover and intake manifold (Dan knows about this one lol)
-New rotors on the front and resurfacing rear rotors next tuesday
-New pads too

Well I think that about sums it up, I've done all that in the past 3 weeks. The car is at school still and all I need to do now is put the motor back in on monday. Then tuesday I'll finish the brakes and put it on the allignment rack. Luckily I get to do all this stuff in my toyota training program that has everything I need. I wish I could show some pics but my school is pretty strict about not taking any, so the best I can do is before and after pics that I'll get up next tuesday or so. Hopefully I can talk to my teacher and get some pics of the motor before it goes back in. Anyway thats about all for right now, Dan saw the car before the motor was out and how it sits as of today so he can vouch for the hard work I put into her so far. Hope this thread lets me get to know most of you better. I'll be at the philly meet on sunday even without the trac so I'll see whoever shows up then. Take it easy and good luck with everyones' projects' -Seth

siralys

If you ever look at a 165 hood from the bottom the cuts match the welds exactly. I'm running the stock hood now, traded the hood to legacyofdan for a nice sunroof

88gt4DE

Damn man ! you got all that done in 3 weeks :doh: , good looking 165 , I wish my seats looked that good .... :(

siralys

Actually I just picked up some real nice supra seats that are blue cloth, I got some awesome toyota patches for em and then I'm gonna see how those look but yeah 3 weekends and one full week I got everything listed done. Well I still have to put the motor in lol so I'm not done., but thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm getting my neighbor to weld a fake cat from silicone intakes into the mid pipe. We're also talking about going megasquirt but we'll see what cash allows, kinda gotta get a new coil first.

LegacyofDan

naturually you know how i feel, keep up the hard work man :)

YerRandO":358vfoiq said:
Looks good, but whats up with the vents cut into the hood? Are they ment to be cut so uneven?

i have the hood now, they look even to me...the way bori(assuming it was bori) cut it is like if you look at the suppourt framing(assuming its for support and stuff like that) under the hood, he cut around that and just glued in some sort of chicken wire...but yeah they are really even and porportional to one and another from what i can tell...but yeah i have big plans for the hood, once i get money

you should post pics of your motor all cleaned up man :) have a before or after, assuming you got some before shots lol

again man, keep up the good work! :)

siralys

So, I'm going in to school today and I'm getting the motor back in the car, and doing a few wiring repairs. My goal is to get it back in and everything hooked up by tonight. So then tomorrow I just have to fill all the fluids, set timing, finish the brakes, get the pads in and get the rear rotors with the on car brake lathe. Test drive tomorrow if all goes well, and then I can go to this local meet with neighbor. My neighbor Steve is like a local legend. He's an amazing tuner and an absolute genius, its aweseomt to watch. His car is a fully built sr20 in an s13 hatch. Its got a tomei crank, HKS cams, Independant throttle boides with a plenum welded on, 1000 cc injectors and a HUGE holset turbo. This car is making over 500 hp on 22-28psi. We plan on doing a megasquirt conversion soon on the alltrac.

Check out Steve at http://www.RomIsBurning.com
Doesn't have a whole lot on it yet but got some videos of the 240 on there
Oh yeah it was nice to meet everyone on sunday at the meet, I got my pictures up at http://www.photobucket.com/sariatoss
I'll have pictures of my 165 up tonight of the motor and just how it looks at the moment.

siralys

Ok so monday we got the motor in. Today we connected everything and did a few wire repairs. Thanks for all the help Dan I really appreciate it. So tomorrow it should be all finished, we just gotta get the hood on and fix one more connector. Its breaking up real bad though and I replaced the spark plugs.wires cap and rotor. I'm gonna check timing tomorrow because it was doing it before I pulled the motor, thought the plug wires would correct it but I guess not. Other than that I just have to get my fan back in place and we should be in business. On a bad note I have court tomorrow for a ticket I got last month. I hope I can beat it because I had a perfect driving record and I'm trying to get in a local lexus dealership. Wish me luck and pics come tomorrow.

LegacyofDan

oh damn dude! i didnt know that you were dealing with a ticket yesterday, hope it all went well man :)

and no problem, i'm glad i was of help to ya :)

remember proper coolant in the IC and replace those temp vac caps, with real vac caps :)

good job again bro, keep up the good work :)

siralys

Got proper caps on there and coolant in the ic. Fixed the speed sensor too. Got the vacuum leak fixed and my rad fan in. Compression test was good- 160's all the way across. All thats left is to fix the knock sensor issue, put the hood on and get it inspected. Trans shifted good and clutch feels great. I hope to drive it home today! Pics up tonight, I left the camera in my glove box.

siralys

Should be man, its just about finished. Just a wiring issue with the knock sensor needs to be fixed and then its good to go.

siralys

Well fixed the knock sensor and then some other shit started going wrong. Got codes 51 and 54, TPS sensor and IC pump. So yeah Dan came by to pick up the trans and helped me out again. The tps ohm'd out ok but I never put too much faith in resistance tests. Hooked up an oscilloscope to it and there is a spike in the pattern. So now I need a new tps sensor. As for the pump i think since it wasn't getting a signal from the tps, the ic ecu wasn't turning on the pump. Dan hooked me up with the constant run mod so atleast I could have the pump on and drive it. I know some people found that its not gonna help in traffic or at lights but atleast I got a pretty strong fan on there so it can't be too bad. Oh yeah to finish off the night the oil leak is back and it wasn't the oil pan gasket like Bori said its leaking between the block and the plate that the oil filter goes on to. So if anyone has any advice on what to do there it would be appreciated. I know I saw a thread where someone had the same problem so I'll look for it but if anyone knows how to fix it just post it here too in case I don't find it. I'm exhausted but I'll have the new pics up as soon as I eat something and relax. Oh yeah if anyone has a good tps sensor let me know and I'll buy it. Sorry for the rant lol something new has come up every day since I got the motor back in. But the tps does make sense since I've had a hesitation problem since I had the car, it just started to get worse.

88gt4DE

Good stuff Seth .... Get the new O rings for the oil filter housing ... they are cheap ... prol dried up ... there is TWO , a small and a big ... get them both ...

siralys

Thanks man I'll get on that right away. I need this beast on the road! With my vw gone driving the hyundai is so boring! Thanks for the advice, looks like I'm not too far from having everything fixed up right. Clutch and trans fealt great on my test drive too.