Project: Black Trac- She's gone!

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project: Black Trac- Wash and pictures time.

Postby Landon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 am

Wow, it has been WAY to long since I've updated this. Quite a bit has been done so I will try and remember most of it. Mostly I have done some lighting work. Interior lights converted to LED(dome, doors), license plate lights to LED, 3000k HID fogs, and 5600k HID headlights with custom projectors and lens set up. The fogs I ordered from HID nation, I ordered H4 bulbs instead of H3, :doh: but I made them work and am quite pleased with the result. The headlights are cheap Ebay projector lens retrofits with a BMW/Mini project fitted in place of the crappy projector. Overall I am VERY pleased with the result. RIght now I don't have high beams, but I figured out how to wire it so that I can have high beams which will basically be the removal of the cutoff.

HID Fogs with stock headlights

With HID headlights

I will try and post a picture later of the beam pattern with and without the cutoff. So far so good, no tickets or police trouble. :oops:

Let me know what you guys think!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by Landon on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
White 1995 BMW M3
Black '90 st185 Sold :(
Landon
Established Member

Re: Project: Black Trac- Update! Lighting upgrades- Pg 11

Postby underscore » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 am

The interior looks nice, however I hate HID retrofits.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Landon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks man. You mind if I ask why you don't like them? I know a lot of people are touchy about being bright to other people or thinking they look funny in popups.. Just curious your opinion.
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby toayoztan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 pm

If they are a true retrofit from another car (like TSX or FX35) or a kit with a proper HID projector, I like it. I plan to do this with mine, however I'll try and integrate a shrowd.

If you just stuck HID bulbs in an ebay projector that is made for halogen bulbs, then that doesn't work too well.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 pm

I find them irritating enough even in vehicles that are factory equipped with them, any kind of retrofit job just shoots light everywhere, blinding everyone and actually putting less light forward that some good, normal bulbs.

Even retrofits that use the whole projector from a vehicle with HID's don't tend to take into account the outermost glass and light still tends to go everywhere. Then to top it off most people can't wire worth a damn so the result is a blinding pile of crap that makes me want to smash out their headlights.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby toayoztan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 am

Yeah I don't blame you for hating HIDs if you'd had bad experiences with them only, but I've had both good and bad.

If the outermost glass is smooth without any pattern to distore the beam or light in anyway, then there should be no issue. A lot of HID equipped cars also have black/darkened headlight housing to reduce any glare too around the headlights.

But to each his own!

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby Landon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:06 am

Bryan, I'm with you in that if I do a kit, it won't be slapped together. I will get some shots in the daylight so you can see whats going on. Like I said, it is a stock projector from like 2004 BMW 3 series' so it isn't just the cheap ebay ones. Only thing from ebay is basically the glass lens/housing. It is clear without a pattern to cause distortion. I also have a shroud, but it is painted flat black so it blends with the housing. I'll get some pictures up so it makes sense.

underscore- I can understand your distaste with them, each to their own for sure. But I have always wanted them in my car and this setup is actually really close to an OEM setup, so hopefully I don't find my headlights smashed out. lol.
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby Landon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 am

So I don't know if anyone else has had problems with a bunch of slop in their clutch pedal, but I did some diagnosis today and found the bushing between the pedal and the master cylinder rod was non-existent. All in all, today with two trips to Ace, I was able to replace it with a bronze bushing and some other hardware that took up pretty much all the slop. Combining that with adjusting the free-play on my master cylinder rod I was able to get my pedal back to feeling healthy again. It was engaging on the floor, almost to the point that it wouldn't fully disengage, now it grabs about half way up. I have to relearn it a bit, but it feels much better.
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby Landon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:33 am

Got some shots for those of you curious about the light pattern and shroud set up. Here's some shots of both. Sorry about the dirty lenses, its been dirty around here. lol.

Cutoff view from outside
Inside low
Inside high
Shroud and projector with clear lens
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby toayoztan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:30 am

Landon wrote:So I don't know if anyone else has had problems with a bunch of slop in their clutch pedal, but I did some diagnosis today and found the bushing between the pedal and the master cylinder rod was non-existent. All in all, today with two trips to Ace, I was able to replace it with a bronze bushing and some other hardware that took up pretty much all the slop. Combining that with adjusting the free-play on my master cylinder rod I was able to get my pedal back to feeling healthy again. It was engaging on the floor, almost to the point that it wouldn't fully disengage, now it grabs about half way up. I have to relearn it a bit, but it feels much better.

Nice, I'll have to remember this. Don't forget to turn the cube at the shifter levers on the transmission to reduce slop at the shifter.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby Landon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:54 am

I found that cube when I did my clutch a couple years ago, had worn through to the pin slightly it was so bad. definitely something to watch out for, thanks man.
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby Landon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:44 am

Picked up a set of Scion Tc wheels to replaced my green ones because one was pretty badly bent. Found this set for $120 on craigslist. Just light curbing on them, but I thought a pretty solid deal and I'm pleased with how they look. I'm not a fan of the fitment, but they work so I guess I'll deal with it for the cold season's.
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Re: Project: Black Trac- Rebuild, front mount, and ST205 tra

Postby Landon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Hey guys, I just recently graduated with my automotive degree and here is my senior project. I fabricated an Evo 8 front mount intercooler in and swapped over to a ST205 tranny. While doing this I found that my valve seals were shot, I had been burning a hell of a lot of oil, and leaking plenty as well. So I tore everything apart and ended up replacing the rings, main bearings, rod bearings, complete upper and lower cometic reseal kit, resurfaced head, Cometic metal headgasket, Mishimoto radiator, water pump, all timing components, ARP goodies (head studs, main studs, and rod bolts), down graded to an ACT sprung organic disk clutch (the 6 puck went waaaaay too fast), deleted both TVIS and TSVS, rebuilt my stock ct26, SS clutch line, poly motor mounts, and cleaned everything up. Anyway, pictures speak for themselves. Let me know what you all think.
Before
Wastegate bracket
Radiator fan fix

My splash guard found its way to the trash somehow, so I cut this out from a road sign we had laying around the shop. Pretty pleased with the out come. Ignore the spray paint, I'll be stripping that off.
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:58 am

Cool under panel. I am making my own myself, but just for the area under the bumper.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby brutekiller787 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Shouldn't have wasted time with the ct26 or the stock center feed manifold. Looks really good with the green though
brutekiller787
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project