PNW project 165

Status Sean

Hello,

I figured this would be a good place to log the progress on my little car. I had a introduction thread in the PNW forum, but this looks like the right place to document the cars build. The plan is to finish the car in the next 3 months. With the help of the good people at AMD handeling the drivetrain, and JMI Motoring covering chassis fab and paint.

So lets start:
IMG_0702Large-1.jpg

Here's the car 1988 all trac. I purchased the car not running from a member on this forum, the car came w/ a ton of spares(junk). At this point I wanted to turn the car into a daily driver.

IMG_0716Large-1.jpg

Got the car running(not pictured) fixed the headlights. This was my first "all-trac" experience, everything else was just youtube lust lol. Popped the engine about 3 months later, it was a used 1st gen that was pretty tired from the start. BTW what's up with the open diffs on this thing?........Boringville!!!!!

sitting.jpg

So the car sat for a bit while I was working on other cars. Then we decided to just go all out on it, this idea came from looking at the wiring mess the old owner had on the car (boost controller, Uhaul tow kit, etc). So we decided to start fresh.

interior.jpg

Started stripping the interior down.

windows.jpg

Had the windows pulled.

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Bare shell :shrug: Powerwashed the 20 years of junk that was all over this car.

IMG_0171.jpg

Which brings us today, the all trac and a coustomers car are on their way to Oregon to get acid dipped.

I'll try to keep this thing as updated as possible. I got some big plans!!!!!!

Thanks for having me.

CMS-GT4

Wow. Its cool to see that this much work is just going into body prep on one of these. I am curious to see what your final plan are.

Status Sean

LegacyofDan":xbi6nxlv said:
oh wow that is some serious prep work...i really look forward to seeing what you have in store for it....exciting!
CMS-GT4":xbi6nxlv said:
Wow. Its cool to see that this much work is just going into body prep on one of these. I am curious to see what your final plan are.

Yeah I get a bunch of bizaree looks from the guys around the shop for monkeying around on this car. Plans are just to make this car more fun to drive: make it lighter, faster, safer,....better looking? :shrug:

BNZ":xbi6nxlv said:
Meantime tell us more about the "headlights work" with pictures,details ! 8)

I dont have any detailed pictures but it was pretty simple, you just have to cut the headlight bracket and reposition it from aiming downwards to aiming forward. It had a fiberglass bezel, however I think i'm going to build an alluminum bezel next time. I'll post detailed pictures of that when I re-do them. IMO it makes the old car look a bit more modern/angry? :shrug:

I'm pretty sure we threw away about 8 lbs of stuff getting rid of the pop-up feature.

Here's some pics from Hideki's site:
ogieg.jpg

kotei.jpg

Terracar

WoW - I think I got wood just looking at the tear down and prep. I can't wait to see the shell after acid dip.

-Terracar

bloodMoney

The pics of the pressure wash made me shudder... I need to tear mine down to that point and just start all over... Big props!

~bloodMoney

BNZ

Status Sean":3hi9kq7v said:
I'll post detailed pictures of that when I re-do them. IMO it makes the old car look a bit more modern/angry? :shrug:

Thanks for the info,please do detailed pictures :p

bloodMoney

Is it structurally safe to lift the cars from the roof like that? I would be worried about deformation.....

I can't wait to see more pics though!

~bloodMoney

Status Sean

bloodMoney":rbmxddzw said:
Is it structurally safe to lift the cars from the roof like that? I would be worried about deformation.....

I can't wait to see more pics though!

~bloodMoney

Yeah I don't think it would be safe if the car was complete (especially w/ this sunroof) but the car weighs maybe 300lbs? you can lift it up with two people. To be honest I was worried too, but it didn't budge.

LegacyofDan

i can only imagine how different that picture would be if the trac was complete... :rofl:

god i excited to see the end result of all this!

93cc

Cool... looking forward to the finished product... Hope to see you at some of the local PSTOC events/meets

Status Sean

93cc":174y0qgl said:
Cool... looking forward to the finished product... Hope to see you at some of the local PSTOC events/meets

Thank you sir, I'm quite the admirer of your Celica project as well, :notworthy:
However I might sneak into your garage one night and slap on a CS bumper on j/k :twisted:

LegacyofDan":174y0qgl said:
i can only imagine how different that picture would be if the trac was complete... :rofl:

god i excited to see the end result of all this!

Convertible all trac :doh: