Every time I make progress i hit a roadblock.

gt400

I have been slowly rebuilding my ST165 for about a year and a half after a friend blew it up. Originally bought a reman crank only to find out that it was a 6 bolt crank and i needed a 8 bolt crank. that set me back several months until i recently found a moderate mileage JDM motor. Opened the motor and everything looked awesome, no wear on the bearings, extremely clean, so i was pumped! so i start reassembling the motor, get everything cleaned up, ready to bolt to the trans. I had my clutch and flywheel re-surfaced and rebuilt as well. When i went to boly the flywheel to the crank, the bolts are a different size. The bolts i have are M12 x 1.25, and the crank is M10 x 1.25. What gives? how many crank options are there?

The main point of my post was not to rant, but thanks for reading. What im really curious about is drilling and re-tapping the crank. the holes are patterned correctly for my flywheel, what problems could occur if i just drill and tap it? or can i get ythe propper bolts and use some kind of spacer in the flywheel holes?

Thanks.
Daniel

88st165

I dont even know why you would consider drilling and tapping. Getting new bolts is ALOT easier! Very interesting that they are different sized though. Is the motor out of a 165?

gt400

I honestly do not know exactly what the motor came out of. I found the motor locally on craigslist, after someone had abandoned their project. it is definately a 1st gen all-trac motor, and came with the turbo and I/C and everything. the motor didnt have EGR, which clued me in that it was imported. the problem is i cant order parts from toyota because they dont list the size. So, if anyone has some M10 flywheel bolts, let me know.

gt400

Here is the new motor slightly torn down
DSCN1867.JPG

After checking the internals and swapping over some parts from the original motor:
DSCN1883.JPG

DSCN1887.JPG

And the difference in Flywheel bolts:
DSCN1896.JPG

DSCN1899.JPG

88st165

You might be able to use the flywheel bolts from a 4age as they are 10mx1.25. I see in your sig you have an 85 mr2 so maybe you have some flywheel bolts laying around somewhere. Though I have a feeling that the gap left from using the smaller diameter bolts will cause an issue down the road.

gt400

Are flywheel bolts any different then bolts you can pick up at lowe's, auto zone, etc?

yes, they are much stronger, akin to a head or rod bolt.

Though I have a feeling that the gap left from using the smaller diameter bolts will cause an issue down the road.

thats why i had considered drilling and tapping the crank. the other option is to find a spacer or sleeve of some type to fill the gap. I just cant figure where the difference in cranks keeps popping up for me. never had this issue on any other motor.

UtahSleeper

Ah. Didn't think about the gap.

So, wouldn't the better option be to get a new flywheel? With the gap I don't imagine getting the right bolt will help that.

CMS-GT4

Hey Daniel I got your msg on SCF. Sorry, I got rid of my old parts a while ago. I am curious why these bolts are different.

gt400

Ok, so i got the bolts sorted, and everything installed and in the car, now i have no fuel pressure, and cant hear the pump running. I have the BGB but if refers back to the general celica BGB which i do not have and haven't found online yet. I seem to have power everywhere, im just hoping to avoid dropping the tank if theres anyother things to try or test first. Any Ideas?

D

88st165

Do you have an afm hooked up? It also controls the fuel pump relay. Try jumping terminals T and E1 jumped in the diagnostic terminal.

gt400

i do have everything hooked up, but will be double checking connections today. I did jump the diagnostic terminals, and there are no engine trouble codes. I also tried jumping T and Fp to trigger the Fuel pump with no action at all.

gt400

update:

the fuel pump works when hotwired in the trunk.

There is also no consistent spark. I had no spark, then changed out to a spare distributor. Now i get a spark when i turn the key to the on position, but nothing when it cranks.

So it seems like a larger problem somewhere, hopefully something dumb and not a broken wire somewhere.

gt400

ok, i found a blown EFI fuse today, replaced it, hot wired the fuel pump and the car ran. turned the car off, went to restart it and it blew again. replaced it with a 20 amp fuse, instead of 15, and so far so good. still not getting power to the fuel pump, but at least everything else seems to be working better.

gt400

so the EFI fuse blows everytime i try to check the engine codes by jumping the Diagnostic port T1 and E i think, but whichever ones the BGB calls for. never seen this before.

on a positive note, i hotwired the fuel pump and drove the car on saturday, and the motor is strong and pulls hard. I'm very excited, but would love to work out the kinks.