1992 GT-Four

Brad_91

Little update, I got my hood scoop and vents re-painted! They were not painted when the rest of the car was about 3 years ago.

Added a special touch to match my general colour theme and I'm pretty happy with the result!
rsz_2014-08-13_180828.jpg

Brad_91

Car is away for winter. Just leaving little updates for my own historical purposes I guess.

Went away early October after an inspection at Toyota found coolant/oil leaking around my timing belt cover. I had noticed it once before, and was told it was excess from the previous bad seals etc.

Timing belt was done by a shop I thought I could trust about 2 years ago, but it sounds like I get to pay to do it again. :cry:

So much for coilovers/upgrades this spring! :bangshead:

Brad_91

Well, car is out!

rsz_1dsc_1038_noplate.jpg

Timing belt job was done on May 4th, 2016. Replaced the pump, belt, tensioner, and every seal possible! Also had my valve cover gasket replaced. The tensioner was getting loose which was what I could hear a bit, and the water pump was leaking, as well as a seal or two (don't remember which ones). The last shop to do BOTH of these jobs had not replaced the faulty tensioner (and didn't tell me about it), as well as not properly sealing the valve cover gasket and various gaskets under the timing belt cover. they also stripped one bolt terribly and left it which caused some headaches for the Toyota mechanics. Needless to say the last shop will be getting negative feedback from me, if I can hold back from burning the shop down :shoots:

I find it a little bit noisier than it was now at startup, however it seems to be running great after warming up! The Toyota guys recommended Mobil-1 synthetic 5W30 which was different than what I've used in the past.

The timing belt job was done at Toyota for a painful price, but I can rest assured that the two year warranty will cover any potential issues in the near future. 2 year/ 40'000km warranty on their service jobs!

Overall the car is running well again! Can't wait to start saving for something other than maintenance xD

Brad

Brad_91

Finally got my tachometer working! Shout out to TheNubkins write up on removing/ repairing the tachometer! viewtopic.php?f=49&t=48848
Now that the engine is running well I wanted to know where my redline was so I got to fixing the issue!

I had picked up a spare cluster a while ago and after plugging it all in I found out that the speedometer was dead on the spare cluster. Since my speedometer still works, I swapped the tachometer out of the spare cluster into my original one and everything works great! I was happy there was no need to replace capacitors, although I will be attempting to fix my spare as a project if ever I get the chance.