my 88 celica project

st165-alltrac

so i had a jeep cherokee that i got for a first car and after awhile i noticed it was smoking alot so i figured it needed rings and so i put it for sale on CL and had no luck but then i seen an 88 celica alltrac for sale and offered to trade. and i got the all trac not knowing exactly what i got. its got quite a few problems so it definetly isnt perfect having NO rear interior, idleing at 1500-1700, leaking oil into the turbo,having to rewire the starter relay, the egr valve and charcoal canister are no where to be found and it bounce like it has no shocks, and needs a lil body work so its definetly a project. but id take it over that dam jeep cherokee any day. heres some pics of the trac062411213311.jpg2011-07-22 16.33.31.jpgIMG_4172.JPG

88gt4DE

wow man ... I would have traded in a second too ... floaty boat suspension huh , sounds like mine before I just re-did all that crap :roll: / leaking turbo , yup done that too , the list will never end ... but its all worth it !!! :smokes:

st165-alltrac

yeah definetly a great deal. And yeah the suspension is starting to tear up my tires so I need to get that fixed. Do you know what the fix is for the leaking turbo?

88gt4DE

st165-alltrac":3u39wdn7 said:
yeah definetly a great deal. And yeah the suspension is starting to tear up my tires so I need to get that fixed. Do you know what the fix is for the leaking turbo?

I replaced mine ... external leak or leaking into the intake and burning it out the exhaust ?

st165-alltrac

Into the intake and burning it through the exhaust. I've heard on here that I need a "catch can". Is that the best way too fix it?

UtahSleeper

Nice score and good luck with the build. Sounds like you have alot to get done, but atleast you have one upgraded goody on her.

88gt4DE

st165-alltrac":23h7cqed said:
Into the intake and burning it through the exhaust. I've heard on here that I need a "catch can". Is that the best way too fix it?

For a little oil it will help but not solve it ... alot of oil and looks like a crop duster ... turbo issues ....

st165-alltrac

Is the bad turbo damaging the engine at all? Can I replace just the intake side of the turbo w/o replaceing the exhaust side of it??

88gt4DE

Can you physically do it ? ... yes , Can you purchase replacements that way ? ... i doubt it.

88gt4DE

other than fouling plugs prol not ... thats how mine started too and then shortly after started leaking badly. That will be a bigger ...

st165-alltrac

Ok so one last question. How is the turbo drawing in oil in the first place. Isnt it coming from the crankcase vent? How would a new turbo fix it?

88gt4DE

st165-alltrac":33jn6824 said:
Ok so one last question. How is the turbo drawing in oil in the first place. Isnt it coming from the crankcase vent? How would a new turbo fix it?

you will naturally get a little oil in the intake side ( air cleaner to turbo ) , oil is run directly to the turbo and if seals are leaking internally then it will burn out the exhaust. Little bit of oil is normal , throw a catch can on it and it will help a little ..... alot of oil and looks like a crop duster then you got a bigger issue ...

st165-alltrac

Oh ok. Well it doesn't really smoke unless I hit high rpm. Like the other day I did about 120 and hit 5000-5500 rpm and it started drasticly smoking. So if I were to replace it all together what would be a good way to go? If I'm gunna replace it I might as well get a good turbo rather than stock. Or would I need to get forged pistons and all that if I go with a aftermarket turbo?

88gt4DE

st165-alltrac":1ha6g7y0 said:
Oh ok. Well it doesn't really smoke unless I hit high rpm. Like the other day I did about 120 and hit 5000-5500 rpm and it started drasticly smoking. So if I were to replace it all together what would be a good way to go? If I'm gunna replace it I might as well get a good turbo rather than stock. Or would I need to get forged pistons and all that if I go with a aftermarket turbo?

Shop around for turbo's but make sure you check you exhaust housing for cracks and replace both ... smoking at high rpm could be rings and other things too so I would condem turbo just for that reason ... piston upgrade is a plus but not necc to put another turbo on the car unless you planning on putting a monster turbo on the car ....

st165-alltrac

well i dont think its the rings because i bought the car from another member on here, timco, and i was lookin at some of his post about the car, and he was sayin the car wasnt boosting right and how it doesnt have as much power as it use to. which i can agree with the car dosent have much pull for being a turbo. he also said he did a compression test and it was like 200 on all the cylinders. but that sounded kinda high i thought the compression on these motors were lower. :shrug: But theres a guy here in washington parting out a couple 165s but i have a 2nd gen motor would a turbo from a 165 fit a 185 motor???? ill probably look through parts for sale on here too and see what i can find.

88gt4DE

if you have a 185 motor then you will have issues mounting to the manifold and downpipe if you try to use a 165 turbo housing ... better off staying with what ya got since those 165 manifolds are very hard to get these days ... might want to look at fuel pressure for power loss ... fuel tanks rot inside ... i just went through fuel tank round 4 two nights ago ... 1st was rotted so bad it would plug the fuel filter ...

st165-alltrac

Well I've finally got an idea of where I'm going with my all-trac. My turbo is shot and I think the rings are gone too. So I've decided to store my car for the winter and save up money for a complete rebuild of my motor. I'm going save up as much as I can until april or may and drop some cash to replace pretty much everything. I figure I should do it right the first time and not have to spend any more money on her for awhile...hopfully, but from what I've seen it doesn't work that way with all tracs lol. Its a long ways off but I'm still very excited and glad I didn't sell my trac!! :D Well how it goes and ill post some more recent and better pics in the next couple days.