Restore and Transform: 89 Celica GT

zaluss

Yes. Sadly I couldn't find someone to reproduce the dealer graphics to keep them. Next weekend is driver side cv and control arm sleeve that's torn. End of the month is rear main seal that's leaking badly.

88gt4DE

zaluss":1mz0qekb said:
Yes. Sadly I couldn't find someone to reproduce the dealer graphics to keep them. Next weekend is driver side cv and control arm sleeve that's torn. End of the month is rear main seal that's leaking badly.

Theres a guy on this website that reproduces all those decals and graphics ...

zaluss

88gt4DE":29wh1zaa said:
zaluss":29wh1zaa said:

Theres a guy on this website that reproduces all those decals and graphics ...

Who?

zaluss

Thanks! Will do.

IMG_20111219_113053.jpg

IMG_20111219_113104.jpg

IMG_20111219_113016.jpg

IMG_20111219_113000.jpg

IMG_20111219_112951.jpg

IMG_20111219_112939.jpg

New photos!

zaluss

Quite a bit has changed since my last post and I forgot I have a project thread here.

Lets revive this long forgotten thread with some new pictures!

IMG_20120130_112433.jpg

Cleaned and refreshed the engine. Replaced the VSV with a junkyard one. Added a few more grounding points and preparing for the Big 3.

IMG_20120130_112423.jpg

Brother in laws garage. Had to fix a few rain leaks in the interior. Found water under the passenger seat, underneath the antenna area, etc. Hopefully fixed all. Didn't see any rust though. Resealed the rear hatch also.

New gauge lighting.

IMG_20120130_202827.jpg

IMG_20120130_202835.jpg

IMG_20120202_130031.jpg

Put on original emblem vs the prefacelift. You can see my girlfriend's Honda behind my car.

I took a quick video of the jumpy RPM issue i've been getting.

http://youtu.be/MrTPyeDOXps

You can see between 30-35mph when I let go of the throttle the RPM bounces around 1k and I can feel it jerking the car back and fourth. This happened after I replaced my cracked radiator.

Car wash deserves new pictures

IMG_20120203_173004.jpg

IMG_20120203_173108.jpg

IMG_20120203_172856.jpg

IMG_20120203_172844.jpg

IMG_20120203_172724.jpg

Hotrodhendrix

Take the car to any local graphics shop. They should be able to copy them without much trouble. Price is a bit high for a one offs though.
~james

phattyduck

zaluss":33sqsnau said:

You can see between 30-35mph when I let go of the throttle the RPM bounces around 1k and I can feel it jerking the car back and fourth. This happened after I replaced my cracked radiator.
That's a normal 3s-fe auto thing... its deccel fuel cut turning on and off.

-Charlie

zaluss

phattyduck":lr18xwur said:
zaluss":lr18xwur said:

That's a normal 3s-fe auto thing... its deccel fuel cut turning on and off.

-Charlie

Could you explain this a bit further? I've never experienced this issue before. I'm getting an EGR low temp code (71) also so I'm wondering if its a vacuum problem at low speed.

phattyduck

zaluss":3mc6br5n said:
Could you explain this a bit further? I've never experienced this issue before. I'm getting an EGR low temp code (71) also so I'm wondering if its a vacuum problem at low speed.
First, the EGR temp code normally means you have a plugged EGR tube or a non-working actuator - its probably unrelated to the surging you are seeing (though it would be good to fix the issue).

While your foot is off the gas at high engine speeds, the ECU stops injecting fuel. As the engine speed approaches idle (coming down from higher speed with the injectors off), at some point it turns the fuel back on (say 1100rpm or something) so that it can 'catch' the motor before it dies. While you are driving, the engine speed is 'pulled' up by the torque converter when you are off the gas. So now, instead of just 'catching' the motor on its way down to idle, the start of fuel being injected bumps the engine speed up - in this case high enough to get it to where the fuel is turned off again - then the cycle continues.

-Charlie

zaluss

Interesting. Unlikely a plugged egr as I cleaned and tested it a few thousand miles back. Maybe the actuator or a malfunctioning vacuum.

Thanks again.

phattyduck

zaluss":vfc661li said:
Interesting. Unlikely a plugged egr as I cleaned and tested it a few thousand miles back. Maybe the actuator or a malfunctioning vacuum.

Thanks again.
Stupid question - did you plug the EGR temp sensor back in? :D

-Charlie