Awesome Project ST165

88gt4DE

The norm for all of us. Don't feel alone. Mainly why I don't daily drive mine ever ... I may drive it to work two days in a row sometimes but that's more to charge the battery up since I haven't moved to a house with a garage yet.

Awesome-Trac

88gt4DE":1g8mbg6f said:
The norm for all of us. Don't feel alone. Mainly why I don't daily drive mine ever ... I may drive it to work two days in a row sometimes but that's more to charge the battery up since I haven't moved to a house with a garage yet.

Before my car use to sit in the garage at work 5 out of the 7 day week which was great in the beginning up until I gave my GF my 90 Celica GTS DD cause I was able to take company cars home or the train but I got another job and hours changed with no more Perks so now she's my money pit daily :(

88gt4DE

Just grab another inexpensive daily ... Or get a another car for yer girl to drive. Either way its a better plan. These cars will never be trouble free ever ...

Awesome-Trac

Update of the month: At the end of this month my Trac will be getting a new transmission and clutch installed which will be awesome "I'll finally have third gear again" I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that the transmission is fully functional and my speedometer will finally work lol BTW this time ill be paying a shop to do it which he said it will be done in a day "he even know about these cars" so I trust him PLUS my company has been doing business with them for over 25yrs. As for general maintenance and problems my passenger front wheel well atleast around that area is still Making grinding noises which I'm still lost about where its coming from and every time I bring it to the shop the noise disappears but for now I will tend to the transmission so I can FINALLY move onto adding performance parts :D

wakkjobb

Fooled me! They look pretty badass from here. Where's you get the film? I've been trying to find lenses for my 6" Hella slims; no dice. The website wants me to buy whole new lights but I just need the glass. Damn.

Awesome-Trac

wakkjobb":1ea867eh said:
Fooled me! They look pretty badass from here. Where's you get the film? I've been trying to find lenses for my 6" Hella slims; no dice. The website wants me to buy whole new lights but I just need the glass. Damn.

I picked it up from fleabay which it turned out great so no more buying yellow bulbs

Awesome-Trac

Ok guys my Trac will be in taken to a shop for a transmission swap. Ill be going with the 185 transmission running with a EXEDY clutch kit and Toyota OEM throwout bearing, hopefully with a easy removal "which I doubt" the car will be back in my hand by Friday. The shop I took it to has experience working with Alltracs so if things go smoothly ill have a place I can recommend and take to. They are charging $800.00 for the R&R on the trans which I hope is considered cheap

wakkjobb

$800? Hell yeah; I think Mitchell lists labor to do a clutch around 12 hours... so if a normal shop's labor rate is $100/hr, that'd be $1200 plus parts just to start.

$800... shit, I'd pay that so I wouldn't have to do it. However, that may be a starting price before they tack on for all the stuff that's going to break. Brittle vacuum lines, random sensors, rusted stuff... y'know.

Awesome-Trac

wakkjobb":2h4qdecd said:
$800? Hell yeah; I think Mitchell lists labor to do a clutch around 12 hours... so if a normal shop's labor rate is $100/hr, that'd be $1200 plus parts just to start.

$800... shit, I'd pay that so I wouldn't have to do it. However, that may be a starting price before they tack on for all the stuff that's going to break. Brittle vacuum lines, random sensors, rusted stuff... y'know.

I told them specifically to just work on the trans cause I can do the rest which I hope they heard me say

Awesome-Trac

Transmission Update: so I just got my Trac back from the shop today and what a big difference! Shifts like butter and even my speedo works now, I'm so happy I finally have 3rd and 4th gear back. Total for labor was $760.00 and it was a great deal but I order $157.00 worth of parts from Toyota which they got for me then installed so grand total was $950.00 overall if your in the Bay Area California I would high recommendation them

88gt4DE

How was their mood after and as you were picking up ? Sound like they wanted more or glad it was leaving ? LOL

Awesome-Trac

88gt4DE":107anq9l said:
How was their mood after and as you were picking up ? Sound like they wanted more or glad it was leaving ? LOL

The owner and the mechanics said it wasn't as bad to remove and install "then again they had lifts" plus one of the mechanics use to own a 88. I dropped it off on a weds afternoon and they were pretty much done by sat but wanted to double check everything on mon so I got it back tues

88gt4DE

Awesome-Trac":22wtqpif said:
88gt4DE":22wtqpif said:

The owner and the mechanics said it wasn't as bad to remove and install "then again they had lifts" plus one of the mechanics use to own a 88. I dropped it off on a weds afternoon and they were pretty much done by sat but wanted to double check everything on mon so I got it back tues

Sounds like you at least had someone around there that knew the deal so that's good. Most look at the dollars and don't realize what the got themselves into ... :twisted:

Bryon

Hey I was reading this post on your 185 trans swap. I am having similar issues with my 165. I found a 185 trans for a decent price, but I am not sure the finer details on how compatible the trans are. If I were to buy this 185 can my mechanic just put it in the place of the original? I read somewhere about the need for a different flywheel . . . yaddaayaddaa.
Anywho Any info would be helpful.

Awesome-Trac

Bryon":374bsjdl said:
Hey I was reading this post on your 185 trans swap. I am having similar issues with my 165. I found a 185 trans for a decent price, but I am not sure the finer details on how compatible the trans are. If I were to buy this 185 can my mechanic just put it in the place of the original? I read somewhere about the need for a different flywheel . . . yaddaayaddaa.
Anywho Any info would be helpful.

So far so good the swap went well and the 185 trans was completely compatible

Awesome-Trac

Its been awhile since i updated the things ive done lately to the alltrac so here it goes. So last month i made a custom rear roof spoiler for the 165 and picked a new set of 18x8 SSR wheels which i think looks amazing and pretty much got most of the attention at Toyotafest 2014

10446409_10152172788383517_1010417536_n.jpg

974352_10152167707553517_163261754_n.jpg

Awesome-Trac

underscore":3c0dnxaf said:
Looks good! How did you make the roof spoiler?

I actually used a Nissan S13 hatch spoiler but it did required some measuring and cutting to make it fit. It's not perfect yet but since I have a somesthing to work with now and can perfect it alittle better so I might be able to make them for the 165 guys now but we will see