$400 Surprise Part Deux

wakkjobb

That's right people, $400 buys 165s here in Colorado. :D This baby is rust-free, stock as crap, fairly straight, non sunroof/ABS, last four of VIN are 4684 (or around there) and is waiting to be delivered to my work Monday. Ran out of time tonight and we're taking a day trip tomorrow, so Monday will be the Day For Pics.

Name: Charlotte the Harlot

Plans:
tune-up
brakes/suspension
fresh fluids/belts etc
twin-entry CT26
side-feed intake (3SFE or 5SFE---I forget?)
smaller battery (Dyna-Batt or Odyeesy?)
Saab FMIC
remote oil filter
external oil coolers--engine and trans
A/C delete (maybe)
matching size tires :doh:
repaint
fancy BOV
MBC
HKS TT
shave antenna/trunk lock/rear wiper/rear decals
maybe pre-facelift lights just to screw with people/because I can.

Basically make it stock-ish but with a few basic upgrades.

>>Dan

UtahSleeper

Congrats!!! Bout time you get back in the game.

Isn't it the 3sge manifold though since it has the 2 runner's per cylinder?

wakkjobb

I forgot which side-feed intake is "the one" to get; 5S or 3S. Both are at the yard but you may be right about the 2 runners/cylinder deal. I dunno anymore... we'll find out.

I'll get daytime pics tomorrow; don't worry. :wink:

>>Dan

edit: found some pics from when we (me and Legacy of Dan) checked it out back in June:

east165.jpg

east1651.jpg

engineclose.jpg

inside.jpg

And I do miss my first 165:
ebaycelica005.jpg

wakkjobb

Yep, after going through my other build thread, it's the 3SGE intake that fits these 165 heads. I don't know why I was thinking the 5SFE would fit... who knows. Now to spend a few hours pulling it... at the yard, in the sun, no power tools and so on. Hooray. :twisted:

I'll do that later; first I have to get this red pig off the trailer, return the trailer, get the car celaned out and put some anti-rodent goodies in there for the winter since it's going to be stored outside. Nobody likes to see chewed wiring harnesses.

>>Dan

wakkjobb

Hey, I drove the blue one a whopping 10 miles up and down my street... :?

Got it to work today, but our new GM said "storage for only a week" so I'll have to get it moved in a week... or just move it around the big-ass lot. I'm thinking "B".
Hooked up a battery jump box and all systems are go: wipers, lights, windows, horn, power antenna motor, ray-dee-yo, A/C and fan stuff (has auto climate control)... didn't try to crank it over though. I don't want to get the timing belt all jammed up in the cam gears or something. I also heard the fuel pump buzz and it has a full tank of ??-year old fuel. Everything is bone-dry underneath, needs CVs (as usual), some bodywork on the roof (about 1 sq ft on the right rear) and fresh paint (maybe) and still no rust! :D

It also has a BGB!! Score again!!

I am farting with the idea of trying to do the timing belt this weekend on one of the lifts at work; I forget if it's easier to completely drop the engine or just lower/raise it some to get in there.

>>Dan
camera died, no pics tonight... but I did take pics today!

And the Link of The Day: http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/2630309431.html

Terracar

Holy chit, welcome back to the land of 'trac Dan!

Camera died, my ass. Get your lazy ass out there and take some pics or I will continue to write slanderous yet mostly true statements about you!

Congrats my man, she looks good and no rust is always a key. Was this the one with the drama trying to get the title or did you get it worked out?

In closing, congratulations on a good looking $400 'trac. Now get some pics up and get the thing running!

-Terracar

wakkjobb

It's good to see it at work; now to get time to fix the dang thing!

Pics as promised:
10-11659.jpg

10-1165.jpg

10-11651.jpg

10-11652.jpg

10-11653.jpg

10-11654.jpg

10-11655.jpg

10-11656.jpg

10-11657.jpg

10-11658.jpg

Oh... oh... it's so SO stock! Still has all the front air dam stuff intact! The bumper was removed for trailer-loading; it is also in good shape and the fog lights did not fall apart when I removed them.

>>Dan

wakkjobb

I've been thinking about keeping the peeling paint but re-doing the roof where the old bodywork is crappy. The "ultimate seeper" look... the goods are under the hood. 8)

>>Dan

Maybe some window tint to replace the bubbly crap it has now... maybe.

LegacyofDan

dude i saw that car in person, there is sleeper look and then there is the beaten down puppy dog covered in dust loosing most of it's fur. it is a sad look for car with such potential... :p

wakkjobb

Oh c'mon, it's not THAT bad... now let's check out the interior:

10-61653.jpg

...on second thought, let's not.

Clean-out goodies:
10-616515.jpg

10-616512.jpg

10-616511.jpg

"some" dirt from the floor mat (ONE floor mat):
10-61656.jpg

10-61655.jpg

Did I mention it is stock as crap?
10-61652.jpg

Cooling duct for the trans:
10-61658.jpg

10-61659.jpg

Free rocks! :shrug:
10-616510.jpg

Soon it'll be parked closer:
10-61651.jpg

99% legit fog light grille:
10-61657.jpg

Some dents here and there... no big deal:
10-6165.jpg

>>Dan 8)

wakkjobb

$400 seems to be the "right price" for me; the first 165 was $400 and the engine/trans had been removed, it came with a few $$$ goodies too. Second 165 was about $95 to get it towed home with a slew of parts/second engine... sold that for $800. This puppy... well, they wanted $800 for it and had it listed as an 89 GTS with the "2.6 turbo engine" so I realized they didn't really know what was up. The weather didn't cooperate today for working on it and I had a list of chores to get caught up on so nothing else has happened. I did grab the battery to charge it (it's "just" 3 years old...) in case it still has some life in it.

As for only storing it a week at work, I'm waiting to see what happens from the new management. I don't think it will be an issue but I still want to get the t-belt and water pump in before the real cold crappy weather gets here... plus it'd be a blast to drive/drift around the lot once the snow hits.

>>Dan