92 GT-Four rebuild AKA ST1x5 project #4

Flyin' Bryan

First a little background. After selling my '89 Gen III swapped '165 in Oct 07 and the black '92 GT-Four in Dec 09, I was seriously considering selling off the remaining parts and '88 '165 shell this fall. It has been sitting torn apart now for 6 years and almost not worth putting back together. Anyway, this June while doing my weekly scan of the gov. auto insurance salvage listings I see "1992 Celca gtf" [sic]. With a bit of 'wtf' I looked and what do ya know, a GT-four, with nicely smunched left quarter and buggered up front bumper. Also this gem "Will not start, engine seized". So now I'm thinking cheap, real cheap, $621 cheap. So a week and a half after the bid close date I get a call from SGI asking if I want the car. OK, road trip! 800 some odd KM later, sitting at the farm.

Not too bad!
june11003.jpg

Errr, wait
june11008.jpg

So after a little poking and prodding(and a huge tractor battery) I came to the conclusion that something is effed in the bottom end of the engine. So what does that mean? Bobcat.
July11052.jpg

I spy something that begins with 3. It was much easier to kill some trees and pull the back off the insto then to unload it ALL!
July11054.jpg

The Gen 1.5 from the '89 (left). A 90-91ish MR2 bottom end, oil cooler, water lines with rest Gen 1. Didn't build it, just bought it that way.
July11046.jpg

Back to the shop...
July11056.jpg

...for extraction.
Aug11010.jpg

Back out to the farm with you.
Aug11b026.jpg

The remnants. This was Aug 1st.
Aug11b019.jpg

Due to work I couldn't get a start on the car 'till Sep and even then it has been very off and on. Into the 'Healing Lodge'.
Aug11b062.jpg

A few days later
Sep11007.jpg

Yep, it's a lump of fail.
Sep11009.jpg

And there's your problem. #4 rod bearing. The other 3 were distorted as well.
Sep11029.jpg

Sep11034.jpg

Well that was up to the end of Sep, I managed to get the head all cleaned up this weekend so I hope to get the long block back together this week at least.

Flyin' Bryan

Thanks guys. I got a little more then the head assembled yesterday.

IMG_1652.jpg

Now waiting on the timing belt and steering rack boots I ordered almost a month ago. :shoots: