St215 motor + st205 gearbox into St165 JDM build

bmt

Update! Surge tank

DSC02046.JPG

The other alloy plate is to cover the bigger hole that I cut out above the fuel tank. I can pull everything out of the tank without dropping the tank. I just thought it would be easier!

DSC02048.JPG

You can just see it poking out from behind the surge tank. So behind the surge tank and in the cavity above the wheel well is a prefilter from the surge tank into the high pressure pump then through a post filter and onto the motor.

bmt

Oh I changed something.....

Before,

DSC01991.JPG

After,

DSC02054.JPG

Another view,

DSC02055.JPG

I just wanted something different. It came up on our version of ebay . If you dont know it's from a St162 Corona. I had the grille dechromed and painted it black as were the indicator lense surrounds. I saved a bunch of weight by getting rid of the pop up lights as a bonus.
I have plans for the bonnet including a colour change!!

Rick89GTS

Great build. And I thought my stock 165 engine bay was tight! Nice headlight conversion. We don't get the ST162 Corona in North America, so it's not an option for us.

GT4times2

bmt":1qs9xz7q said:
Oh I changed something.....

Before,

View attachment 2

After,

View attachment 1

Another view,

I just wanted something different. It came up on our version of ebay . If you dont know it's from a St162 Corona. I had the grille dechromed and painted it black as were the indicator lense surrounds. I saved a bunch of weight by getting rid of the pop up lights as a bonus.
I have plans for the bonnet including a colour change!!

Looks cool, although I prefer the pop up lights on the ST165. I always said, if I got a (88-89) Celica GTS coupe, I'd look for that front end conversion. Always keep the original in case you want to change. Keep up the good work.

bmt

Rick89GTS":1jbyu9cy said:
Great build. And I thought my stock 165 engine bay was tight! Nice headlight conversion. We don't get the ST162 Corona in North America, so it's not an option for us.
Tight indeed!! My next project is definitely gonna be NA and rear wheel drive for sure!!!

bmt

Update time!

I installed a coolant swirl pot. For those that dont know a coolant swirl pot is installed to give a high point in the cooling system and due to its action, (Swirling), it allows the air in the cooling system to bleed off.

DSC02064.JPG

The pot is on the left, you can see where one supply comes from the water neck. The other supply comes out of the radiator neck. The radiator cap is just a blanking cap so there is no inner seal on it. The cap on the swirl pot is just like a normal radiator cap and thus has a overflow back to my overflow bottle. On the bottom of the swirl pot is the exit back to the bottom hose on my radiator. Clear as mud??

I have also been working on my dash stuff. This my altered stock dash cluster. I removed the oil pressure gauge, water temperature gauge and the diff lock light.

DSC02060.JPG

I replaced them with, (Left to right), a water temp light, a oil pressure light and a voltage meter. Oh and I swapped out the old 180 kph speedo for a 240kph one. The amber light will come on when the water temp gets too high and the red light will come on if the oil pressure drops too low. I cant remember the settings, but both offer a degree of safety. Nice and bright so they will get your attention!!!

bmt

Of course I still need to have proper Oil pressure and Water temp gauges, so where to put them? I dont really like rows of gauges screwed to the dash, I did want them where I could see them easily, so down in the centre console was out. I wanted somthing that looked factory, (ish), so a plastic generic gauge pod wasn't really my style so I came up with this.

DSC02059.JPGDSC02058.JPG

Dont worry about the holes as that plate is just there so I can screw on a pretty fascia plate that will actually have the gauges attached to it.

Here it is in place,

DSC02057.JPG

Sorry it's a bit dark but you see that it continues the line of the factory binnacle in both planes. I did look at centering the middle gauge on the vent but it just stretched everything out too far for me. Oh the third hole will be a boost gauge. My pod will be screwed to the original dash and the whole lot is going to be recovered so it should look awesome when finished!!

klue

From a fabricator to another, your skills and attention to detail are inspiring. Looking forward to the next update.

Can you make up a simple diagram to explain the plumbing of the swirl pot, and maybe some points on its design. Im looking to do this for the next build

Luke

MWP

bmt":28h0af17 said:
I installed a coolant swirl pot...

No you didnt. Youve made up a simple bleed tank.
A nice looking one though :)

A swirlpot looks like these:
eNpVjc0OgjAQhF_F7APA9odat0fPJiZ6J7UiVNGSFqPG-O5KgINzm28yM5Y0vRMJgs47MIkKJNjYeEn52sbF1ruUb3xyi314hd7muz3TRZ4ePrZd6EsmS5adu3poSoKTb1swnnAYInDWNdXg2ej75n49zDkjeA6137VGhJG8JqIm8kNtqEPpQrxVcZ7SE-1cD-ZImEn8F-ccpVQoV7xAwQRq1HLJlRBCMc2URMUL8_kCNRpGJA,,.jpg

eNpVjkFuwjAQRa-C5gBkxh4bZ7LsGgmp7CNjDLhNcRSnUlHF3UlEWPB3743m63tx8l9EC_QpQFPEosDWD9-l-vDDapdCqbaphNU-3_Loq889OVMZJsKakTdtDIpUHY9Rt4f1V3-eO1jglLoOmiQ4oREIPlzizPTk8fL7c3jdSeBvfptGOER4mtti7GIm1eVzbkMernF4VbnF9mGE5ii4ZnyPUgqZLXKtDGrS6NDxRlmttSVHltEq09wf4zVHZw,,.jpg

klue

mwp whos engine is that?
Im interested as to what the pot looks like inside if you can help out

MWP

No idea. Just photos ive found around the net.
The pots will be hollow on the inside though.

bmt

MWP":fbdhlspu said:
bmt":fbdhlspu said:
I installed a coolant swirl pot...

No you didnt. Youve made up a simple bleed tank.
A nice looking one though :)

A swirlpot looks like these:
eNpVjc0OgjAQhF_F7APA9odat0fPJiZ6J7UiVNGSFqPG-O5KgINzm28yM5Y0vRMJgs47MIkKJNjYeEn52sbF1ruUb3xyi314hd7muz3TRZ4ePrZd6EsmS5adu3poSoKTb1swnnAYInDWNdXg2ej75n49zDkjeA6137VGhJG8JqIm8kNtqEPpQrxVcZ7SE-1cD-ZImEn8F-ccpVQoV7xAwQRq1HLJlRBCMc2URMUL8_kCNRpGJA,,.jpg

eNpVjkFuwjAQRa-C5gBkxh4bZ7LsGgmp7CNjDLhNcRSnUlHF3UlEWPB3743m63tx8l9EC_QpQFPEosDWD9-l-vDDapdCqbaphNU-3_Loq889OVMZJsKakTdtDIpUHY9Rt4f1V3-eO1jglLoOmiQ4oREIPlzizPTk8fL7c3jdSeBvfptGOER4mtti7GIm1eVzbkMernF4VbnF9mGE5ii4ZnyPUgqZLXKtDGrS6NDxRlmttSVHltEq09wf4zVHZw,,.jpg

Fair enough, the coolant will swirl in both my tank and the one you showed. They both enter the tank tangentially and create a whirlpool inside the tank. The difference is the volume of fluid and the immediacy of the bleed. Your one is very quick to deaerate the coolant as it is part of the main flow of the coolant. My one takes the high points of the cooling system and separates the fluid and air off. Which ever you choose it do it should help more effectively cool your motor by eliminating air which stops hot spots. That's my take on it any way :wink:

bmt

klue":aerx0oo0 said:
From a fabricator to another, your skills and attention to detail are inspiring. Looking forward to the next update.

Can you make up a simple diagram to explain the plumbing of the swirl pot, and maybe some points on its design. Im looking to do this for the next build

Luke

1221255814_2_FT2942_breatherdsm.jpgDSC02064.JPG

Sorry it's in japanese but you should be able to follow it with a look at my set up as well. I hope!!

MWP

bmt":2etqch9z said:
Fair enough, the coolant will swirl in both my tank and the one you showed. They both enter the tank tangentially and create a whirlpool inside the tank. The difference is the volume of fluid and the immediacy of the bleed. Your one is very quick to deaerate the coolant as it is part of the main flow of the coolant. My one takes the high points of the cooling system and separates the fluid and air off. Which ever you choose it do it should help more effectively cool your motor by eliminating air which stops hot spots. That's my take on it any way :wink:

You wont have a whirlpool in your tank because there will be no where near the coolant flow required to create one.

Swirl pots are used to remove air bubbles from the coolant flow out of the engine.
Your setup may help by removing some of the air that would normally sit at the top of the radiator, but not much more than that :(

You'll see swirl pots like in my photos above in many race/rally car setups because thats the way its done properly.

Sorry if i sound like an ass, but you've got the fab skills, you should do it right :)

Another two good examples...

The Fensport Celica:
4872152443_b07df14703_b.jpg

Milner's Celica:
IMG_8671.jpg

bmt

MWP":2tl0pr1p said:
bmt":2tl0pr1p said:

You wont have a whirlpool in your tank because there will be no where near the coolant flow required to create one.

Swirl pots are used to remove air bubbles from the coolant flow out of the engine.
Your setup may help by removing some of the air that would normally sit at the top of the radiator, but not much more than that :(

You'll see swirl pots like in my photos above in many race/rally car setups because thats the way its done properly.

Sorry if i sound like an ass, but you've got the fab skills, you should do it right :)

Another two good examples...

The Fensport Celica:
4872152443_b07df14703_b.jpg

Milner's Celica:
IMG_8671.jpg

Nope you dont sound like an ass to me!! You are being helpful to me and others, nothing wrong with that. :D

So I should be able to put it into my top hose and run the bleed off to my original tank correct? My little tank can then be a ,(very), small header tank as well? If I can do it like that I will whip one up!! I guess the size is about 75mm dia and about 120mm high, a cone on the top to help funnel the air off. I imagine that the inlet and outlet just have to have a decent vertical gap between them to promote flow?

The little tank does have a cone on the bottom but the outlet doesn't come straight off the very bottom. It protrudes into the tank about 40mm. My guess is that the idea is the fluid that does come in will swirl as it is the easiest path for it to take until it reaches the height of 40mm and can then escape out back to the bottom radiator hose. I did do some research but as with everything on the web it can be contradictory and sometimes confusing. I did see a photo of my tank set up with the cap off and the motor running, it was full to the top and was clearly swirling. :shrug:

bmt

Punknoodle":10l8s95u said:
Very impressed with this build mate!

Where abouts in NZ are you from? I grew up in Invercargill :)

Thanks!! Originally, the Naki, then BOP, now Dorkland. :lol:

I have had some time in the South on holidays, love it and not just Qtown either! Tuatapere and Stewart Island were/are awesome.

I know, I know, :eek:fftopic: