Switch to full style
Talk about your project car here
Post a reply

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:34 pm

scottjackson1209 wrote:Very nice! What rad is that? My Mishimoto rad is about that close to my 3rd gen swap in my 165


Think its an eBay knock off of a Mish lol. Very poor build quality. It came with the car and I plan on replacing it.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Did you put a gen 2 flywheel on? Is that why you had to get the flywheel bolts? That's awesome actually I thought it might have been more money. It seem to be faster and stuff than the stock 1st gen? Thanks

UtahSleeper wrote:
Anoo21 wrote:Hey, I commented on the wiring on the other posting. Did you just use the 4th Gen ecu? Great to see everything running man. How much all together may I ask did it cost. I'm going to do this soon.


I am using the 4th gen ecu. It's the AT ECU.

1050 for the engine shipped.
500 for the harness/including shipping.
20 for gen 2 flywheel bolts.

I have a few extra costs coming up just for intake and such, nothing special, maybe another 200(msd adapter for tach, intake, etc). I will admit that I did this in a way most wouldn't have, but I gambled and all seems well so far. My gamble was that I took what I received motor wise and installed with no maintenance aside from flushing where fluids go. I plan to do a tune up soon, but I really just wanted to get the motor installed and tested.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:02 pm

Anoo21 wrote:Did you put a gen 2 flywheel on? Is that why you had to get the flywheel bolts? That's awesome actually I thought it might have been more money. It seem to be faster and stuff than the stock 1st gen? Thanks

UtahSleeper wrote:
Anoo21 wrote:Hey, I commented on the wiring on the other posting. Did you just use the 4th Gen ecu? Great to see everything running man. How much all together may I ask did it cost. I'm going to do this soon.


I am using the 4th gen ecu. It's the AT ECU.

1050 for the engine shipped.
500 for the harness/including shipping.
20 for gen 2 flywheel bolts.

I have a few extra costs coming up just for intake and such, nothing special, maybe another 200(msd adapter for tach, intake, etc). I will admit that I did this in a way most wouldn't have, but I gambled and all seems well so far. My gamble was that I took what I received motor wise and installed with no maintenance aside from flushing where fluids go. I plan to do a tune up soon, but I really just wanted to get the motor installed and tested.


No, still the flywheel that was installed in the 1st gen, just for some reason the bolts were skinnier at the threads. Seemed a little odd, but got used bolts and all is well.

And the motor on the surface seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of the 1st gen. Smooth reving and seems to really want to go with the little I have driven her.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:43 pm

OK sorry if I am asking to many questions but you used the flywheel from your 1st Gen and bolts off a 2nd on the swap? Just trying to get enough info before i go head deep into the swap myself.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Anoo21 wrote:OK sorry if I am asking to many questions but you used the flywheel from your 1st Gen and bolts off a 2nd on the swap? Just trying to get enough info before i go head deep into the swap myself.


Yes. And no worries. Glad to actually have experience with something now that can be useful to the community lol.

And it did seem weird to me also lol. When I went to install the flywheel the bolts I had off the 1st gen just slid in. I was puzzled since I though all the bolts were the same.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:46 pm

So, here is a small update of Fiona.

Summary:
-She starts and drive fairly well for no exhaust and a dead wheel bearing.
-Need to get new seats as I hate how heavy the stock ones are.
-I need to finish reassembling the interior.
-Still have to mount the hood and cut a hole for the IC.
-Immediate plans - Get a DP from Prime MR2 and an ebay exhaust for a st185 as it seems thos fit my Alltrac.

And here are some unexciting pictures.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:51 am

Nice man. That engine looks clean but the hood will be a pain. I think I would go fmic if I ever do the swap.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:53 am

Ill be doing this swap along with a st205 trans and will definitely have a fmic. It will just make it easier to get to certain stuff having the intercooler off the valve cover.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:29 am

Agreed, I would prefer FMIC, but this is the quickest way to get it up and running and not start spending more and more money lol. I would rather address things like that after I address what is needed, which is exhaust, bearing and interior for me. FMIC can be done later and a hole in the hood shouldn't be too hard to do. With any luck, when it comes time to go front mount I can afford a FG hood lol.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:18 pm

Small update:

Finally replaced the bearing on my Alltrac with the help(read:I mostly sat there and let him do the work lol) of a friend.
Order a 3" DP and exhaust.
In the process of replacing the ball joints and outer tie rods on both sides.

Hope to have pics soon, just been spending alot of time on my oldest sons car, getting it ready for him to drive.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:39 am

Well, here is an up to date post.

Got my shiny new ebay exhaust. I didn't expect much from it, but I am happy with it.
Image

Prime MR2 DP. The cheapest one they sell, but I am happy with it.
Image

Old DP is gone.
Image

New DP installed and heatshield in place.
Image

All put back together.
Image

Test fitting the exhaust.
Image

Aeroform cut to make the exhaust fit. Need to make it look a little better.
Image

All in place.
Image

The hood, which is pre cut.
Image

Hood is cut and test fitted. Still need to trim and get a scoop.
Image

Starting to look like a real car again.
Image

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Awesome build.

I assumed you used an ST185 ebay exhaust. Any issues installing it or modifications due to fitment?

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:44 pm

zaluss wrote:Awesome build.

I assumed you used an ST185 ebay exhaust. Any issues installing it or modifications due to fitment?


Yes, 185 exhaust. Zero issues with fitment except for the muffler. That issue was caused by the bumper though, since its not the stock one. All the hangers matched up but I needed to use the ring exhaust rubber hangers instead of some other options.

I was just happy I could get a DP that mounted up to the exhaust system fine.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:55 pm

I've often thought the scoop from an early 80s Mustang would work well for a top mounted air-air intercooler on an ST165.

One like this:
Image
[pic stolen from this forum thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... -scoop-fit]

You would have to mount it forward a little from where it's mounted on the Mustang though.

Re: 1988 Alltrac - Fiona - 4th gen 3sgte enroute

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks for the pic. I may have to try and find one. Seems like it could be a good fit for the cars lines.
Post a reply