ZeroDrift's 1988 All Trac. Engine Overhaul Project!

Talk about your project car here

Re: ZeroDrift's 1988 All Trac. Anyone have a 3sgte block?

Postby Terracar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:21 pm

ZeroDrift wrote:Had the block inspected this morning and it turns out the block is bored out to its maximum. With the scuffing on the walls means I'm now in the market for a new block ASAP.

I have a 2nd gen block sitting in the garage with crank/rods/pistons - still assembled. If you want to pay shipping +$10 for a six pack, it is yours.

-Terracar
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
'92 'trac - Demon - currently in need of some reconstructive surgery.
Terracar
Established Member

Re: ZeroDrift's 1988 All Trac. Anyone have a 3sgte block?

Postby ZeroDrift » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Terracar wrote:
ZeroDrift wrote:Had the block inspected this morning and it turns out the block is bored out to its maximum. With the scuffing on the walls means I'm now in the market for a new block ASAP.

I have a 2nd gen block sitting in the garage with crank/rods/pistons - still assembled. If you want to pay shipping +$10 for a six pack, it is yours.

-Terracar

You have a PM sir! :D
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Re: ZeroDrift's 1988 All Trac. Anyone have a replacement bl

Postby ZeroDrift » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Anyone have experience with a 5S stoker motor? It seems the Camry motors are much more plentiful, and for that reason alone I may consider it. Any links/sources on what needs to be done to use this block would be greatly appreciated! Only thing I know of the conversion is the crank needs to have the rod journals machined to fit 3S rods.
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby MWP » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 am

My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby ZeroDrift » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Thank you for the information! After discussing everything with the wife, I think we may be better off going with a used JDM engine for now. I'm half tempted to get a front clip from a ST205 to ensure I have all the parts I need.

That being said, anyone have any interest in ST205 body parts, brakes and a spare ST205 transmission?
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby ZeroDrift » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:32 am

Recently made some progress on the engine project. First off, I'll be rebuilding the motor with a new block and head thanks to the Alltrac/MR2 community. Next the OEM hard lines and brackets have been ceramic coated and should be ready to handle and photograph whenever I make it out to my shop next.

Also have done some investigation into the TVIS system and the diaphragm was torn and the unit was not functional and a likely source of a vacuum leak. Hopefully I can figure out a way to have the rubber diaphragm serviced, or replace the mechanism with a newer electrical means of control such as a linear actuator or a solenoid of some sort.
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I think there's a diaphragm for a Supra that can be made to fit the TVIS setup.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby ZeroDrift » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks for the intel! I'll have to do some searching on that, however I did find an alternative in the form of a mini pneumatic cylinder. In other news I've put in an order for some parts the other day! As for engine management I did opt for the Megasquirt MS3-Pro, their newest ecu that is not a 'DIY' build. Just need to wire that in as I overhaul the wiring harness.

Decided top modernize the intercooler system with a new pump as well. Going with a Bosch SVT Cobra WTA pump and am currently searching for a Ford variable fuel pump module, which should allow the ECU to adjust flow according to the need.
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby UtahSleeper » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:53 pm

I am looking forward to your build here as I am going to do the same thing MS wise to my alltrac. I assume you are going to base the IC pump on the temp of the IC temp. Or other plans?

Also, you better document the shit out of this!!! lol.
80 Corolla Hatchback - Power (In Progress) http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3208
88 Alltrac - Snow (Waiting for the garage) http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43482

Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/id/chris52580
UtahSleeper
Established Member

Postby ZeroDrift » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Parts arrived today! First up is the new pump: A Bosch SVT Cobra WTA Pump. (Part Number: 0 392 022 002 [058])

Dismantled the pump to inspect everything:

ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby ZeroDrift » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Engine management showed up today as well! Going to make some progress this weekend routing some of the leads. Still waiting upon shrink wrap, plugs and the insulation for the harness.

This is Megasquirt's new MS3-Pro ECU with an 8' flying lead. Its rated for a wide range of temperatures compared to some of the other offerings on the market.

Here is a complete list of the MS3-Pro's features:

Hardware features:

Freescale MC9S12X 16 bit, 50 MHz asymmetrical dual core processor
10 saturated injector drivers
8 logic level ignition outputs
3 high current (5 amp) general purpose outputs - 2 can be reconfigured as additional injector drivers
3 medium current (3 amp), high frequency general purpose outputs
All unused injector and ignition outputs can be used as SPARE outputs. This ECU has a LOT of I/O!
1 stepper H-bridge driver
Camshaft and crankshaft differential inputs - supports VR, Hall effect, and optical input
12 volt tach output
Fuel pump output
8 analog inputs (5 dedicated sensor inputs, 3 spare/general purpose)
4 spare digital on/off inputs
3 spare digital frequency inputs
2 knock sensor inputs
RS232, USB 2.0, and CAN communication
Onboard 8 gigabyte SD card for internal data logging
Internal ECU temperature sensor
Real time clock
Temperature range: -30 to +80 degrees C (-40 to +85 without battery for real time clock)

Software features:

Supports speed density, alpha-N, or MAF based fuel and spark tables
1 microsecond injector pulse width resolution
Tables for nonlinear injector behavior at small pulse widths
Allows blending multiple load types, including specialized mode for independent throttle bodies
Supports a wide variety of OEM cam and crank position sensors
Individual cylinder trim tables for fuel and ignition
Accelerator pump or model based acceleration enrichment
Closed or open loop idle speed control
Closed or open loop boost control with gear or speed based tuning options
On/off or closed loop continuously variable valve timing control - supports up to 4 channels
On/off or progressive nitrous control
Traction control
Rally anti-lag
Rotary support - can run up to 4 rotor engines with separate leading and trailing spark tables
Staged injection
Table switching
16 x 16 fuel and spark tables - can be reconfigured to function as 30 x 16 or 16 x 30 by switching tables based on RPM or load
2 or 3 step rev limiter with no-lift shifting
Wideband AFR target tables
Flex fuel sensor input
Allows repurposing injector or ignition outputs as general purpose outputs, or high current outputs as injector drivers for 12 cylinder sequential applications
Real time barometric correction
A/C and cooling fan control with idle compensation
Safety shutdown based on AFR or EGT input
Sequential shift cut and air shifter control
6 General purpose on/off or PWM inputs

ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby UtahSleeper » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 pm

Oh, you got the expensive one!! Should be good.

Also, I recommend tuner studio when tuning and such. Great software.
80 Corolla Hatchback - Power (In Progress) http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3208
88 Alltrac - Snow (Waiting for the garage) http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43482

Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/id/chris52580
UtahSleeper
Established Member

Postby ZeroDrift » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Some minor progress the last few days. Intake manifold is cleaned and ready to inspect. May still opt for the newer ST185 manifold I have. The cold start sensor area will be modified to suite the air temp sensor. It will be bored out and a threaded plug inserted or possibly welded in. Also took a picture of the manifold with the TVI-S plate against it. Castings don't line up all that well and I will be cleaning up the ports just a bit.

ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby ZeroDrift » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:41 pm

Few more parts came in the mail. Only waiting on three more packages, then time to start assembling the harness! Parts to arrive: Flex fuel sensor, injectors and connectors, replacement wire, shrink wrap. Anyways, on to pictures!

Insulation: Have a large variety of sizes, but all of it should be great protection to the harness! Rated for use up to 650 degrees C.

Coil pack from a Yukon: One of the strongest coils on the market from what I have seen.

Sensors! From the top: Hall effect sensor, GM 3 bar map sensor, GM intake air temp, and a pair of GM coolant temp sensors. And a stainless bung for one of the coolant temp sensors. Going to use the second coolant temp sensor to monitor the WTA intercooler.

Here is the Ford Fuel Controller (AKA: variable relay) This will be used to control the Bosch WTA pump. Currently trying to find a plug for this on the second hand market as they sell for $45 new.

Finally a few extra parts for the flex fuel plug. Going to be using a high quality solder for the important bits!
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby ZeroDrift » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Not much progress on the car besides working the intake manifold ports and some shuffling on parts for the engine. Hopefully will have some engine pictures coming along shortly.

Few more pictures of misc parts:

Pneumatic actuator for TVIS control.

Pump once more:
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to My Project