Insanity-74s ST205 Rally Hybrid build

Insanity-74

Finally started to weld the roll cage in....man its taken alot of measuring, cutting, remeasuring, etc etc I cant believe how difficult it has been!!!! I collect the rest of the cage in a week or so when I can get time to go and get it. My poor welding machine has been working overtime, with 2.7mm thich steel its on full blast to get good penetration. looking forward to getting it all done.

cleaning up the standard rear suspension towers

Photo0259.jpg

making a template for the reinforced suspension tower tops

Photo0260.jpg

the fabricated tops

Photo0271.jpg

Welding the cage together, getting it measured and cut to size

Photo0276.jpg

its coming along nicely.....still think it will take a few years to finish, I work too slowly.

celigts

So pumped to see more of this. This will be amazing when it's up and running. I need to do this type of restor on mine. So much rust :(

Quality looking work tho.

Insanity-74

Thanks :) its a good job things are going slowly, one of my problems is I tend to rush things and it all goes wrong, its a good job I cant rush this.......prime example yesterday, taking out the rear side windows, spent about 2 hours cutting through the glue to get the windows out........with about 2 inches of glue left I thought "I'll just pull the window, the glue will let go"....well it didnt and the glass shattered. Luckily getting another shouldnt be too hard, but for the sake of 2 inches of glue I should have kept going with the hot cutter. I'm definitely not cut out for removing screens/windows...I will leave it to the pros when putting them back in. It took ages to vacuum all the broken glass out the shell and off the garage floor. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Filled in the standard aerial hole which is about all I have done this weekend.

Insanity-74

A bit more roll cage done, what a pain to do.......But coming along slowly now that I have picked up the remaining bits.

P1000121.jpg

Also gives you an idea of the small amount of space I have to work in.

Insanity-74

A bit more done today, the bit of the roll cage that ties in the rear sub frame bolts to stiffen up the rear end a little

Welded uprights to the sub fram bolts (that go under the rear seats

P1000134.jpg

Tied the two together

P1000135.jpg

I just need to add the triangulation to the rest of the roll cage, and add in the main hoop diagonal

P1000137.jpg

RallyX-GT4

Dang, I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress... And, of course, am totally jealous. You've got quite the skills. Do you work with cars for a living, or is this just a hobby for you?

Insanity-74

Thanks :) It is just a hobby, working with cars would be nice as a job, but there just isnt the money in it, maybe something I would like to do when I retire. I have however worked on cars more or less my entire life, and I have had my GT4 about 10 years. I used to pester my Dad when he worked on his cars (could never afford to take them to a garage so did all the work himself) so I guess thats where I picked it up from. I did train as an aeronautical engineer but most of what I have learned about cars I picked up from by doing, or by watching tutorial type videos on youtube :) :lol:

Insanity-74

More or less finished the cage for the time being until I decide what I want to do with the car, either continue with the hybrid evolution build, or build a full on rally car...until I make my mind up I decided its best I put everything on hold.

P1000215.jpg

Insanity-74

Small update. I had to remove one of the bars to make access easier. I have been dressing all the welds on the cage

Photo0316.jpg

Its now primered up, the yellow is a high build primer. Just need to weld the last bar back into the cage.

all the interior seam sealer has now been removed and I have started priming the interior which will be painted the same colour that the outside will be. Once that has been done the cage will be painted black and I can start doing the custom interior parts.

it will then be sent off to get the bottom media blasted then I can start rebuilding 8)

Insanity-74

I have been busy recently, but have found some time to spend on this project.

I stripped down the petrol tank

Photo0331.jpg

gave it a good paint

P1000742_zps97d014fe.jpg

the obligatory walbro fuel pump

Photo0345_zps3ae87dda.jpg

all back together with some stainless steel bolts

P1000756.jpg

rejuvenated the fuel tank straps

P1000745.jpg

Photo0347.jpg

started rebuilding the rear axels

Photo0360.jpg

managed to rescue the rear brake disc backing plates

P1000819_zps29be4b1d.jpg

they came up well

P1000823_zps96c9dad2.jpg

Found a product called Deox C which is great at getting rid of rust, bought the rear hub carriers up a treat

P1000830_zps8fc70010.jpg

and I got alot of bolts zinc plated

P1000769.jpg

P1000839_zpsfb32b994.jpg

and the door catches chromed

P1000842_zps3b2c002f.jpg

things are starting to go back together now, the rear subframe and suspension parts are all half built, just waiting for the paint on the rear hubs to dry and cure and they can go back together, need some snap rings for the rear axels, then they can go back on. Rear diff can be completed tomorrow if I get time.

toayoztan

Looking good!

What did you do to strip the Fuel Tank down?

I'm about to work on mine and get it coated too.

I was also thinking of taking it to a shop to get the inside treated and sealed.

Bryan

Insanity-74

The tank was in pretty good condition to start with, on the inside the tank was near perfect, the outside I just attacked with a wire brush drill attachment, got rid of all the rust, then painted with POR15 although I think Eastwood paints are just as good if not better to work with.

Insanity-74

Its been a while, but a bit of progress this weekend.

I got hold of an ST202 front bumper, an old knackered GT4 front bumper, both of which I have cut up to make into one. I also managed to get hold of a TOMs front lip which I think suits the car very well.

had to use the parts car to line the bumper up.

still so much to do and it seems like two steps forward one step backwards all the time. i might have retired by the time I finish this rebuild.