Camry all-trac 5 speed

CamryAWD

Finally got back and was able to pull my project to it's new home. The 3sfe motor knocks hard so i'm hoping someone here can guide me a bit. It's been a long while since i've had a motor apart (Cam upgrade to my Evo back in 05) and though it should be pretty straight forward, if anyone has any pointers for me i'd greatly appreciate it. Short term, getting this thing drivable is my goal. I'd prefer not have to pull the motor if I don't have to.

Long term, i'm trying to secure a location for an ST205 swap. I'm basically doing all my work in the street until I can move so i'm trying to avoid storing any big parts or pulling the motor until I can do it in a garage. My landlord would blow a gasket if she saw a Celica clip laid up in the parking lot! :D

Attachments

• 2012-06-03 14.52.36.jpg
    2012-06-03 14.52.36.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 2012-06-03 14.53.02.jpg
    2012-06-03 14.53.02.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1,417

CamryAWD

The door tag says "Made in Japan #763". How many of these were sold in the US?

And then here is the 3sfe. The previous owner says it's had a pretty steady dose of new parts as things got worn out, but the knock was more than he wanted to tackle.

Attachments

• 2012-06-03 15.30.23.jpg
    2012-06-03 15.30.23.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 1,414

AFCor

I saw you driving around some time ago. It's nice to see a familiar face around here. My car has been in the garage all winter so you may have not seen me. Good luck on the fix.

phattyduck

Knocking, eh? Probably bottom end bearings. You MIGHT be able to just do the mains from below the car with the engine in place, but it could be rod knock, in which case you are in trouble, though I suppose that could be done from underneath as well.

Best bet would be a used replacement 3s-fe, probably. That would require garage space though.

Have you thicker oil to see if you can quiet it down for a bit?

-Charlie

CamryAWD

AFCor":v10udg7a said:
I saw you driving around some time ago. It's nice to see a familiar face around here. My car has been in the garage all winter so you may have not seen me. Good luck on the fix.

Wasn't me, I just picked this thing up and it's not been running since i've owned it. Though I'm about to leave in a few minutes to go pick up an 89 celica to steal the motor and breath new life into the trac! Probably use the 3sfe while I sort out the build on the st205. I'd hate to just have this thing sitting around for months and not be able to drive it... Even if the motor is just factory.

CamryAWD

Picked this up yesterday for $200. Probably could have talked the guy down to $100 but I didn't care to talk to him anymore than I had to. I figured even if the damn thing doesn't run, I could still get my money back out. He claimed this was full time 4x4 but a sensor was out so it won't engage anymore. He also "upgraded the motor with performance parts and didn't just slap stickers on the windows like most people do". I asked him how he knew the timing had slipped a tooth and his response was because he could feel a lot more horse power so he knew it jumped.... After 10 minutes of looking it over, I figured enough was enough and I just took it away shaking my head.

Anyway, here is the FWD beat to hell and back ST162 celica that will hopefully breath some life back into my Camry while I gather the parts needed for the 205 swap this fall. Crossing my fingers it will run or at least run when combined with my current 3sfe that doesn't.

Attachments

• 2012-06-13 06.36.49.jpg
    2012-06-13 06.36.49.jpg
    908.1 KB · Views: 1,353
  • 2012-06-13 06.36.25.jpg
    2012-06-13 06.36.25.jpg
    866.8 KB · Views: 1,353

CamryAWD

Tell me about it! :doh: But it's not a total loss I guess. Could have just as easily wound up crushed for scrap metal so the fact it's living on in a much cooler trac makes it a little better.

UtahSleeper

So, you didn't feel the need to correct him on the drivetrain it had?

Poor car, but it will get good use out of it's parts.

CamryAWD

UtahSleeper":f8xm5dg0 said:
So, you didn't feel the need to correct him on the drivetrain it had?

Poor car, but it will get good use out of it's parts.

If you had been there, you'd know why. Place was sketchy, dude was sketchy, nearby pitbull was sketchy... I just wanted to give the man $200 and get the hell out. It was obvious he had no clue what he was talking about from the first text I sent him after finding the car on craigslist. He told me it had a 22r motor and I made a comment to him something to the effect of that being the craziest swap i've ever heard of and if he still has the original 3sfe, I want it. Few minutes later he called me and said it actually did have the 3sfe... Anyway, i'm glad to be done with it. Some people should not be aloud near any worth while objects. Cars or otherwise...