Father & Son's 185

Talk about your project car here

Re: Father & Son's 185

Postby Terracar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Congrats on the new house. So has there been any progress on the car since June or was that on hold?

-Terracar
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
'92 'trac - Demon - currently in need of some reconstructive surgery.
Terracar
Established Member

Postby AFCor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:32 pm

RedCelicaTRD wrote:I'm down there from time to time and tjdouble07 works on base. Maybe we'll have to meet up some time.

I would like that. It would be nice to see first-hand what you have done to your cars. I DD mine so you may see me around with my kids some time.

Thanks! We love having a home. Nothing beats having a spacious garage! It's not finished, but I'll fix that! I haven't really done much except general maintenance on the car. To be honest, I'm looking forward to getting some advice on the progression. I'm kinda at a crossroads... I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks everybody.
-Anthony
'90 All-trac - His
'98 Land Cruiser - Hers
'02 Jetta TDI - DD (50+MPG)
AFCor
Club Member

Postby UtahSleeper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Welcome to our great state!!!

If you get the chance to see tjdouble's car, you will be imppressed. That thing is a beast.

When cars and coffee kicks back up you should try and make it out.
80 Corolla Hatchback - Power (In Progress) http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3208
88 Alltrac - Snow (Waiting for the garage) http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43482

Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/id/chris52580
UtahSleeper
Established Member

Postby AFCor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:31 pm

I was here some years ago. Had some friends who moved here from Indiana and we worked at a Scout camp. I loved it and always wanted to come back. It's actually very similar to Alaska in many ways. My brother lives near Salt Lake so that makes it even better.

I am really looking forward to taking my kids to the meets. And yeah, I do want to see TJ's car. Pictures don't do it justice I'm sure.
-Anthony
'90 All-trac - His
'98 Land Cruiser - Hers
AFCor
Club Member

Postby AFCor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:50 am

Wayne I would love to meet up some time. I'd be nice to see what my car could be with some hard work.

Well we're all settled in for the most part. Lots of work organizing, cleaning up and getting to know the area. Usual moving stuff, you know? Well before we left I did a lot of stuff to the car. Haven't really done anything since. So most of the pictures you see will be from Alaska. There not in any particular order. Before I left I had to ship it and to do that it had to be in proper running order. That was an awful 2 weeks. I couldn't take the time to fix things the way I wanted. Oh, I hated that. I have to redo a bunch of stuff now.

How it sat for a long time. Poor thing.

Thing 1 and Thing 2. One great thing about using your kids is free labor. The problem with free labor is it's rarely good quality. But, I still love them and they have such a good time.

Sitting in the garage

Picked up some fog lights from ALLensTrac. Sandblasted the mounts, and applied POR-15. Thank you Allen.

Did the same thing to many suspension parts. Pretty much anything that was metal and could fit in the sandblaster.

Dismantled the rear end:

Jeez these spherical bearings were a pain to remove. I had to tap out and let a professional do it.

Diff. I wanted to have it cleaned and rebuilt, but time didn't allow. Had to go back up dirty. Not happy about it, but it happens sometimes. It was mechanically sound though.

See the difference! the axle is what everything looked like: dirty, rusty ugly. The control arm was blasted, and POR-15 applied. It's nice to know that I'll never have to worry about those parts again.

CF driveshaft from the group buy a while back.

Amazing that this weighs less than an axle.

Putting things back together.

Some things I got to make it a little nicer.

Changed what I could to LEDs. I like them a lot better.

Fixed both door switches. Now the lights work.

Oh, yeah. I know I mentioned this before but I don't think I posted it. This is the story of my car; the overflowing love of the previous owners:

Innovate A/F and boost gauge working.

#3 helping to clean up the car

Here you can see the work I have ahead of me with the body work. It's nothing big, but a lot of small stuff.

An F-22. It's cool, but after 3 years of living at the end of a runway with them flying everyday... well you can imagine :) This was during the Air Show which took place (you guessed it) right above our house.

My camera isn't very good at getting moving targets. They used to take their approach right beside our house and I tried to get a cool shot. If you look carefully you can see it flying into the tree.

I haven't taken one in the new home yet. They shipped the car to Seattle and we had a nice drive! I parked the car in the garage, cleaned up the house for two weeks and now the car turns over and won't start. Not gonna lie... kinda upset. From reading the forum and my small knowledge of cars it seems to be timing? Fuel is pumping. Now, if you had to explain the fix to a 5 year old... So I can... Uh... Explain it to my son... Yeah... How would you do that? 'Cause he doesn't understand how you are supposed to check the timing at idle if it won't run? If you could give some tips I -- I mean he -- would appreciate it. Thanks guys!

-Anthony
'90 All-trac - His
'98 Land Cruiser - Hers
AFCor
Club Member

Postby peteleetzor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:36 pm

AWsome awsome trac,

on a quick question, how did you remove the door switch? is it just that bolt on the bottom of the switch? also do you have the part number for it, my is broken as well :cry:
peteleetzor
Club Member

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby AFCor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks. We're working really hard to make it nicer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C7 ... 00_s02_i00

Here's a link to the switches I used. I had to modify a bit (the wire is a bit short), but it will work.
'90 All-trac - His
'98 Land Cruiser - Hers
AFCor
Club Member

Postby toayoztan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 am

You just remove the rubber from the bottom part, just peel it back, and you'll see a single bolt. That's it.

Looking good there though man! Too bad it doesn't run right now.

If you don't want to take the motor out, check the cam timing by removing the valve cover (if you have stock cams). There will be match marks on the cams that'll line up with the head. If not, remove the valve cover and top timing cover to check. The cams should line up with the head match marks when the crank is on ZERO.

For the distributor, just put it smack in the middle. It'll get you going for the car to actually turn over and fire.

If it's not firing but is turning, check to be sure the fuel pump is working...pull the EFI fuse. Pull the fuel return (easy to remove as it's just a rubber hose over a metal line) and see if any fuel is coming out from cranking. Or you can also jump the FP terminals to bypass the relay to check fuel pump operation.

Check for spark...start at the plugs and go backwards to the igniter.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby MWP » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:32 am

:bangshead:
You guys all treat POR15 as if its some miracle paint. Its not!

Under the car, itll suffer from stone chips, just like any other chassis paint.
If it gets chipped, it wont protect from rust any more.

Powder coating is FAR better!
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby toayoztan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:36 am

MWP wrote::bangshead:
You guys all treat POR15 as if its some miracle paint. Its not!

Under the car, itll suffer from stone chips, just like any other chassis paint.
If it gets chipped, it wont protect from rust any more.

Powder coating is FAR better!

Personally I've heard and had more good experience with it than bad. Por15 has been on my bros datsun for 2 years where the front subframe is. It's been exposed to all weather and oil and coolant. No issues and looks good still. I do agree powercoat is good, that's why I coat my own parts where I can and like but I don't think por15 is awful either when applied correctly.

I've noticed you're one of the very few on here that has been very adamant in making it known how much you despise por15. Do you have any pics? I'm not questioning you, just wanting to see what you've experienced.

And for powder coating, it isn't flawless either. Factors such as the powder used, proper prep, proper mil thickness, and skill of the coater can give an awesome result or just plain shitty coating. With any coating, proper prep goes a long way.

Por15 does make a chassis black paint top coat for uv protection for anyone interested.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby MWP » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:07 pm

toayoztan wrote:I've noticed you're one of the very few on here that has been very adamant in making it known how much you despise por15. Do you have any pics? I'm not questioning you, just wanting to see what you've experienced.

I dont have any photos of it in bad shape. Ill take some next time im working on those parts again.
Ive been using POR15 on cars for ~8yrs now.

Powdercoating wins because of its thickness & its fairly soft.
POR15 has a tendency to chip/flake off from an impact, where powder coat will survive from the same hit.

POR15 does make a chassis black paint top coat for uv protection for anyone interested.

I dont remember hearing of anyone using POR15, then tie-coat and a top coat on the types of parts it gets used on here (under car).
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby Overtriped » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Nice car man, mine is black as well. I had those same wheels on my tercel and I liked Em. If you want more exterior mods get the RC hood and front clip. I like all the work you did with the bushings nice
Job keep it up!!
90 ST185~205
04 Tundra V6 5spd 2wd
TOYOTA JUNKIE
Overtriped
Club Member

Postby toayoztan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:21 pm

MWP wrote:
toayoztan wrote:I've noticed you're one of the very few on here that has been very adamant in making it known how much you despise por15. Do you have any pics? I'm not questioning you, just wanting to see what you've experienced.

I dont have any photos of it in bad shape. Ill take some next time im working on those parts again.
Ive been using POR15 on cars for ~8yrs now.

Powdercoating wins because of its thickness & its fairly soft.
POR15 has a tendency to chip/flake off from an impact, where powder coat will survive from the same hit.

POR15 does make a chassis black paint top coat for uv protection for anyone interested.

I dont remember hearing of anyone using POR15, then tie-coat and a top coat on the types of parts it gets used on here (under car).

And what's your point? No one, including myself said it's been done. Just said it's available.

Powder coat does win....again, if done right, which I've seen plenty of crap jobs. But no need to reiterate that point.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby celi_wabbit » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 pm

If I ever use POR 15 under the car, I would probably also rhino line it! can never be too safe. :evil: These cars rust very easy.
1993 MR2 N/A - Sold
1995 Tacoma - Sold
1991 Celica Alltrac - Sold
1994 Celica GT - Project
2010 Mercedes-Benz

celi_wabbit
Club Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby AFCor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:06 pm

I've used POR-15 on a friends Jeep and it holds up very well. He did apply a top coat inside the wheel well, but not to the bottom. It has a bit of elasticity to it which is nice. Plus it is simple to apply and has rust inhibitors. The biggest factor was cost. For me and my project this works best.

I also found out what was wrong with the car. Since the battery died and it's snowing, I had to remove it and charge it inside. I guess when I did that some wires from the fuse box came loose. :doh: That was it. I attached them and it fired right up. Thank goodness that was it! I was about to replace a bunch of stuff. My wife punched me in the arm.

-Anthony
'90 All-trac - His
'98 Land Cruiser - Hers
AFCor
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project