ST165 Daily Beater Project

Talk about your project car here

Re: ST165 Daily Beater Project

Postby underscore » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 pm

First check the bulb...
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby UtahSleeper » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:12 pm

underscore wrote:First check the bulb...

Lol, yea, that is probably the best option first.
80 Corolla Hatchback - Power (In Progress) http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3208
88 Alltrac - Snow (Waiting for the garage) http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43482

Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/id/chris52580
UtahSleeper
Established Member

Postby phattyduck » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:45 pm

UtahSleeper wrote:
underscore wrote:First check the bulb...

Lol, yea, that is probably the best option first.
Actually, the fuse is the first place to start... labelled 'EFI' in the engine bay.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Alright, ECU from the other car and a replaced relay = SPARK :). No fuel though, but I'm pretty sure the car is completely out of gas. Going to throw some gas in it and see if it fires up. My brother couldn't hear the fuel pump kick on, so hopefully that's not an issue, but we'll see.

What sort of boost levels are you guys running? This has a stock turbo, with stock fuel delivery (i.e. injectors, fuel rail, and fuel pump), but it does have ARP head studs and a fresh thick head gasket. I don't know what factory is, but I want to be conservative with the boost level. This thing isn't going to be a racecar :).

Thanks for all of the input! I'm going to have a lot of questions on how to fix different CEL issues once it's on the road, so I hope you guys are patient with me!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby 88gt4DE » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Stock Turbo and fuel system without any boost controllers prol around 6 psi ...
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:19 pm

I have a Blitz electronic boost controller that's hooked up right now. I'm just not sure what to set it at for daily driving. I'd be surprised if that turbo could put out much pressure for too long, but I was hoping for more than 6 psi ;)
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby UtahSleeper » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:40 am

Honestly, I wouldnt go much over 7 or 8 till you see how she handles running right now :)
80 Corolla Hatchback - Power (In Progress) http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3208
88 Alltrac - Snow (Waiting for the garage) http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43482

Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/id/chris52580
UtahSleeper
Established Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:26 pm

UtahSleeper wrote:Honestly, I wouldnt go much over 7 or 8 till you see how she handles running right now :)

Right on! That's good advice :). I'll set it in that area and see how it does. I'm going to run the water-to-air intercooler until I get some bugs worked out. I'm getting my parts together for the FMIC project, but I'm thinking I might do some electric fans and an aluminum radiator when I do the FMIC. I don't really like the idea of taking all that apart to do the front mount and then putting all of the stock parts back in it.

What are you guys doing for suspension on ST165s? It doesn't seem like there are a lot of parts available...

Thanks for all of the input!!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Hey guys! Little update for you:

It fires up and runs pretty well. It sounds pretty mean when you rev it up a little bit, but the idle is still a little rocky. It sounds like there is a little vacuum leak from the throttle body, so we'll be throwing another one on soon with a fresh gasket and hopefully that will fix that problem. The driveshaft is in and both crossmembers are in.

I've started gathering parts for the FMIC project as well. I ordered an HKS SSQV BOV and some U-Bends, so all I need now are some couplers, t clamps and the front mount. Hopefully I'll have that done within a few weeks. I plan on building a DP at that time too, but we'll see if that gets done :).

I'm pretty excited to drive it and winter is right around the corner. Should be some fun snow drifting!!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 pm

I think I scored a set of Enkei RPF1's for this little beater :). I'm not sure how they'll fit, but I'm going to make them work somehow. The size is 17x7.5, 48mm offset with 6.10" of backspacing. They have 215-14-17 tires on them right now, so hopefully they won't take too much effort to get them on there. I'm thinking I'll have to put a little spacer in there, but I got a great deal so I couldn't pass them up.

Any thoughts on fitment?
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:44 pm

WRX offset! Those will fit great with a 10mm or 15mm spacer all around. Maybe a bit more on the rear if you want it a little more flush back there.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 pm

phattyduck wrote:WRX offset! Those will fit great with a 10mm or 15mm spacer all around. Maybe a bit more on the rear if you want it a little more flush back there.

-Charlie

Right on!! Thank you! I'll order some spacers before I throw them on there. I'm pretty stoked because I wasn't looking forward to putting tires on the stock wheels. I don't think they look so good :).

Here's a pic I snapped in my garage of the new shoes:

Tires are a bit big for my liking, but I'm sure they'll ride nicely. The guy threw in new hub-centric rings and lugs too! All that's left now is to finish bleeding the clutch (which is proving to be a major PITA) and to source the vacuum leak that's making it idle rough. Not thoroughly worried about the vac leak though.

I'll post some more photos soon. Thanks for everyone taking a look at my little build thread!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello everyone!

A quick update today. It's running pretty well, but still seems like there is a vacuum leak somewhere because the idle is rough. The downpipe is the factory one, but from there back is 2.5" through a flex pipe and resonator before it hits a universal muffler. It sounds pretty mean, but it is only tacked together so it's not finished yet.

The suspension is swapped over from the red car. It had Eibach Sportline springs, but I'm not sure what struts it has. They're different from the factory ones, so hopefully they're alright. My brother swapped the whole front passenger side hub, control arm, and rotor because pretty much everything was bad on the grey car. The caliper was seized as well. After a TON of work, the brakes are done and he threw some spare 17" gunmetal wheels on it for me. I totally dig the way it looks, but I forgot to take a picture, so he had to text me one. Here's the only shot I have:

The clutch won't bleed out, so I ordered a new clutch mater cylinder and slave cylinder, so hopefully that cures it. They should be in next week, so we'll see. Other than that, all is well! Thanks for taking a look at my little build :).

Cheers!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey guys! My brother got it out of the garage and took it around the block. Alternator isn't charging, brakes need to be bled and clutch needs to be bled. Also, it felt like the timing was off because it wouldn't run all that well. He did snap a quick photo though, so here you go:

Hoping to bring it home next weekend! Cheers
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby Rick89GTS » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:37 am

Is the bodykit a lighter colour or is just the lighting? Looks 2-tone to me... :shrug:
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

PreviousNext

Return to My Project