ST165 Daily Beater Project

Talk about your project car here

Re: ST165 Daily Beater Project

Postby Awesome-Trac » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:25 pm

I remember a guy in the norcal who had the same two tone color Alltrac as you but I highly doubt this is the sameone, still a unique color tho. I wonder if this was a special order type color?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
-1988 Celica Alltrac (white) Sold
-1988 Celica Alltrac (black) new project
-1990 Corolla sedan (sky blue) totalled by my brother :(
-1990 Celica GT-S hatchback (sky blue) daily driver

•Daniel
Awesome-Trac
Established Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 pm

I'm pretty sure it's just faded, not two toned. There are more spots that match than spots that same two toned. It could definitely use some tlc on the exterior.

Slight update: it turns out the timing is a little off. It was really struggling to get moving, so the timing covers came off and sure enough, it looks like its a couple teeth off on the timing. Hopefully we will have it straightened out by the weekend, but we'll see.

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll try to get some better photos in the daylight soon!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Hey guys! I got up to the shop this weekend and put in some hours on the little car. It's running and driving, but not running that well. It has a really high idle (around 1300-1500) but it's steady. The biggest problem is that it has a stutter when you hit the gas. If you rev it up slowly, it is smooth, but if you try to punch it, it falls on it's face. That made it really tough to drive!!

The turbo spools nicely and it's set to the factory settings. I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, and distributer cap. The timing is dead on as well. My brother and I replaced the O rings for the injectors and they are all fresh and clean. It has great oil pressure and the temperature is perfect.

I'm not sure what to check next, but I'm going to order a fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. It feels like a fuel issue and when we pulled the plugs to replace them, they were pretty white. That means it's running lean, right?

Any thoughts? I'd love to fix the idle and I definitely need to figure out that stutter. On a more fun note, I did weld up my exhaust, mounted and welded my HKS SSQV. It sounds nice and loud (which may get annoying, but it's fun for now).

Here's a quick engine bay photo:

Everything on the inside works, aside from the passenger window. Even the cruise works! My parts car has leather interior, with the leather door panels and stuff, so I started swapping that over too. It's coming along alright, but I'm a little bummed about the way it runs. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks for checking out my little build!
Last edited by jspeedrifter on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Check carefully for vacuum leaks. I'm also assuming that the timing (mechanical and ignition) are set correctly...

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm

phattyduck wrote:Check carefully for vacuum leaks. I'm also assuming that the timing (mechanical and ignition) are set correctly...

-Charlie

The timing is dead on, both ignition and mechanical. I checked that over and over because there were some issues with it before, so we cleaned that one up. I don't think there are any major vacuum leaks. One of the injectors had a bad O ring and that was creating a vacuum leak, but that's straightened out now.

Is there any adjustment on the throttle body or anywhere else to mechanically adjust the idle?
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby underscore » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:51 am

try disconnecting the BOV
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby jspeedrifter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:23 pm

underscore wrote:try disconnecting the BOV

Both issues were present before the BOV installation. It didn't affect the car at all. It does sound really mean though and I like that a lot :)
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby 88gt4DE » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:39 am

jspeedrifter wrote:

Both issues were present before the BOV installation. It didn't affect the car at all. It does sound really mean though and I like that a lot :)

I have the same BOV , I know what ya mean ... scares the hell out of people sometimes !! LOL
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:57 pm

88gt4DE wrote:
jspeedrifter wrote:

I have the same BOV , I know what ya mean ... scares the hell out of people sometimes !! LOL

It really is fun! I had a Greddy Type S on my 240sx (with an sr20det) and I always thought the whistle was cool at the end. The HKS is a really clean sound, so I'm definitely pleased with it. Now, if I could just get a couple issues ironed out and drive the car, that would be great!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey guys! I'm really stuck here! This high idle thing is really driving me nuts. I haven't driven the car any major distance yet, but I'm at a loss. My brother and I have used starter fluid and propane to check for vacuum leaks and we can't find any.

Is there a manual adjustment on the throttle body or anything to adjust the idle? What should I check next? Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jaydog82 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Yes there is an idle idjustment screw on the tb, but I would check other possibiltys first. Have you tried swaping out the maf? What about the other sensors did you get them sorted out? Did the car have egr before, did you block it off?
mine is the red one on the left

authorized AMSOIL dealer @ www.jpautomotive.org
jaydog82
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:09 pm

jaydog82 wrote:Yes there is an idle idjustment screw on the tb, but I would check other possibiltys first. Have you tried swaping out the maf? What about the other sensors did you get them sorted out? Did the car have egr before, did you block it off?

Thanks for the reply! I haven't swapped out the MAF yet, but I have another one to try. The EGR should be all blocked off as well. I'm hoping the MAF fixes it, but I'm not counting on that for sure. I saw something on the bottom of the throttle body that looked like an adjuster, but I wanted to make sure that's what it was before I started messing with it. I changed the throttle body last week and it was the same, so I don't know.

It should have a new fuel filter on it in the next few days, so hopefully that fixes the stutter issue. Thanks for the feedback!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 pm

Hey guys!

Quick update: My brother took the gauge cluster apart and replaced the check engine bulb, and sure enough, it came back on. He checked the codes and it only returned two: one for the intercooler (no coolant in it yet) and one for the knock sensor. He went digging for the knock sensor and found the wires going to the connector frayed and not making any connection.

When he went to the parts car to take a look, he found the wiring to have already been replaced with a shielded wire from some sort of kit. He rebuilt the plug and put it together on the grey one and cleared the code. It still idles a little high, but no more code, no more missing, and no more stuttering!

I think the last thing to do before I head up to get it this weekend is to fill the transmission with fluid. It apparently was pretty much empty and making tons of noise when he drove it around the block. Hoping it's only low on fluid and not messed up :).

Alright, that's all I have at the moment. Thanks for looking!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby jspeedrifter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Hey all!

So I went up to Fort Wayne and picked up the car this past weekend and put a quick 150 miles on it. The idle is still around 1400, but I think it is probably a problem with the TPS. It cruised down the highway at 75 mph and did great :).

When I got home, I test-fitted the wheels. It definitely needs spacers in the rear because they rub pretty badly. I ordered some 5 mm spacers to see if they'll help. I know I need more, but I don't want to extend the lugs yet. Here's a quick photo of the test fit:

I also snapped a couple photos while I was swapping the rear seats out of the parts car:

There is still a lot to finish, but it's good to get it on the road. The knock sensor trips every now and then at start-up, but it never stays on. I'm really happy with the way that it runs and drives! The exhaust sounds great and it pulls pretty hard in the first 3 gears, but the highway pulls leaves a lot to be desired.

Next on the to-do list: swap heater controls, install stereo/speakers, install boost controller/turbo timer, and recover the front leather seats. Definitely a long list, but it's getting there!

Cheers!
jspeedrifter
Club Member

Postby 88gt4DE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:38 am

MY idle it stuck at 1500 ... most likely and bad IAC valve. I unplugged mine for now and if yer not too snappy with the throttle it will keep running. Fast on and off and it may stall. I have seen other people post issues with the ecu causing it ... I havent dug deeper yet ...
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
88gt4DE
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project