Jeff's 1989 Black ST165

sinerasis

I started today cleaning out the spare tire well, it was a little damp and dirty.
IMG_20130119_123522.jpg

When I crawled under the car I noticed the exhaust was not stock so I measured it.
IMG_20130119_124218.jpg

This is supposed to be gas.
IMG_20130119_152344.jpg

Fuel pump... Gonna replace this.
IMG_20130119_152812.jpg

This is the plug with no wires, right in the middle of the pic.
IMG_20130119_133501.jpg

88gt4DE

Yer plug with missing wires is the reverse light switch ... Be careful with the fuel pump hanger ( discontinued ) My fuel pump and inside of tank was actually worse than that. May wanna grab a fuel filter too ...

sinerasis

Did you clean up your tank yourself? What did you use? I've been reading about using acetone. I've never cleaned a gas tank before. How were the results?

UtahSleeper

I would definately clean up the hanger, or better yet go to a welder and have a new one made. They are getting hard to come by. I paid 75 for one I had found.

RallyX-GT4

Definitely nice to see another 165. As for the fuel pump assembly, can the rust be treated/cleaned off or is it a lost cause? When it comes to the tank, I know someone who got their's professionally cleaned and treated. Turned out very well - the guys who did the work claimed it would outlast the rest Of the car...

sinerasis

I think the hanger can be cleaned up without too much trouble. It's dirty and gritty but it still feels solid.

I think I'm going to try and clean the tank myself, and if that fails take it somewhere. I've been doing some reading on how to approach it and I think I can handle it.

I'll probably just do the Walbro pump as it's cheap and easy to find. Is that a pretty straight forward swap or is there something I should know beforehand?

RallyX-GT4

If you clean the rust off the assembly, I think you will need to treat it somehow as it will be even more rust-prone.
As for the fuel pump - here is where I'm a bit stuck. Putting in the new unit is plug-and-play. However, on an otherwise stock fuel/turbo system, you may have an over-fueling issue (running rich). On a turbo charged car this is better than running lean I suppose, but I'm not sure how to address it (assuming it needs to be addressed). I remember reading in the past about rising rate FPRs and other stuff, but this is all from memory and it's been years since I've had time or money to put into the Trac. That being said, if anyone can add to this or clarify please do so!

sinerasis

Hmm. I didn't think of that... I guess I could start looking for some kind of gas tank sealant and coat everything with it.

Once I get the thing running, the most I'll want to do in terms of power mods is a boost controller, so whatever fuel pump would be best for that situation (I assume stock would be just fine). Although stock looks to be around $300... about the same for the Supra pump. Unless someone knows a good place to buy...

RallyX-GT4

That was my plan, get the Supra pump to support future mods... but I didn't want to be running pig-rich and fouling out plugs in the meanwhile.

88gt4DE

sinerasis":1umelo64 said:
Did you clean up your tank yourself? What did you use? I've been reading about using acetone. I've never cleaned a gas tank before. How were the results?

Lets see , 1st one was so rusty I trashed it. A semi local member gave me one for free which I appreciated greatly , threw it in and it cracked up top. Not really sure why. Same guy had another one that wasnt in great shape but it was something to work with. I sent that one out to a retoration company in MD and its been in the car ever since with a litetime warranty on leaks :D and they WILL get it back if it does. $500 for the job ...

v7fqxk.jpg

88gt4DE

New tank is discontinued ... looked high and low before I made the call on the restore ... 185 tanks are also no longer avail. Nothing aftermarket unless you go fuel cell and wasn't doing that since my girl rides in the car most the time , One good rear ender and you know what happens ...

RallyX-GT4

88gt4DE":2w2qcjz7 said:
New tank is discontinued ... looked high and low before I made the call on the restore ... 185 tanks are also no longer avail. Nothing aftermarket unless you go fuel cell and wasn't doing that since my girl rides in the car most the time , One good rear ender and you know what happens ...

Sorry to sound naive, but what happens...? I though fuel cells were "safe."

underscore

Fuel cells live inside the cabin. So if it gets damaged during an accident, you've got gas inside the cabin.

sinerasis

Ah, I wish Trademotion sites would let you know that kinda stuff (discontinued/out of stock/etc)... instead of showing an item that isn't actually available exactly the same as any other item.

88gt4DE

Yeah , you know Murphys law. I'll be messing around and some jackhole will rear end me and my girl will burn to death ... i would jump off the nearest bridge ...

celigts

The plug with wires might be a cruise control sensor?

Nice job so far tho. I'd like to see what you do with the fuel tank. I have to drop mine yet to see its damage.

88gt4DE

Plug with the wires if def the reverse light switch. I just had to replace it a few months ago ...