Switch to full style
Talk about your project car here
Post a reply

Re: Jeff's 1989 Black ST165

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Im in yakima, WA, good to see another black st165 in the state, how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me askin? heres some shots of mine, i just got it running again, have an aluminum rad on its way, good luck with the build! are you going to stick with the stock drivetrain? or swap in a newer gen engine?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:12 pm

I paid $800 for the car.

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with the engine yet. I didn't get a chance to mess with it anymore this weekend. Eventually I need to really see what condition the current motor is in. If it's not torn up too bad I'll just keep it as I'm not looking to make tons of power or anything. If there is something big going on, I'll probably start investigating a swap to a newer 3SGTE. I just want a fun little driver.

From what I can gather about the car it was running with some sort of engine knock before the previous owner parked it about 10 years ago.

I wish I had your black interior! With my previous ST165 (red) one of my first trips with it was to Yakima with a couple buddies to autocross. That was a great weekend. That would have been in 2002 or so. We took Chinook over and did our best to stay out of trouble on those roads.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 pm

The new Toyo Matrix are AWD now but from what I've heard from a Toyota tech yet not full confirmed myself is that those cars have a weak driveshaft

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Awesome-Trac wrote:The new Toyo Matrix are AWD now but from what I've heard from a Toyota tech yet not full confirmed myself is that those cars have a weak driveshaft
AWD has been an option on all years of the Matrix.

-Charlie

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 am

Got the gas tank out today, lots of rust in the five our so gallons that were in there. I guess I'm looking for some place that can clean it up real good, anyone have suggestions? I should probably replace the fuel filter and pump while its out they look pretty gross too.

Found a 3inch cat back exhaust on there, crush bent, probably a homemade. Its nothing I'll want.

There's a plug on top of the transmission that has no wires, I'll post some pics later, anyone know what that is off the top of their head?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:30 am

I started today cleaning out the spare tire well, it was a little damp and dirty.

When I crawled under the car I noticed the exhaust was not stock so I measured it.

This is supposed to be gas.

Fuel pump... Gonna replace this.

This is the plug with no wires, right in the middle of the pic.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Yer plug with missing wires is the reverse light switch ... Be careful with the fuel pump hanger ( discontinued ) My fuel pump and inside of tank was actually worse than that. May wanna grab a fuel filter too ...

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Did you clean up your tank yourself? What did you use? I've been reading about using acetone. I've never cleaned a gas tank before. How were the results?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I would definately clean up the hanger, or better yet go to a welder and have a new one made. They are getting hard to come by. I paid 75 for one I had found.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 am

Always good to see more 165s on this board :D

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Definitely nice to see another 165. As for the fuel pump assembly, can the rust be treated/cleaned off or is it a lost cause? When it comes to the tank, I know someone who got their's professionally cleaned and treated. Turned out very well - the guys who did the work claimed it would outlast the rest Of the car...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm

I think the hanger can be cleaned up without too much trouble. It's dirty and gritty but it still feels solid.

I think I'm going to try and clean the tank myself, and if that fails take it somewhere. I've been doing some reading on how to approach it and I think I can handle it.

I'll probably just do the Walbro pump as it's cheap and easy to find. Is that a pretty straight forward swap or is there something I should know beforehand?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:10 pm

If you clean the rust off the assembly, I think you will need to treat it somehow as it will be even more rust-prone.
As for the fuel pump - here is where I'm a bit stuck. Putting in the new unit is plug-and-play. However, on an otherwise stock fuel/turbo system, you may have an over-fueling issue (running rich). On a turbo charged car this is better than running lean I suppose, but I'm not sure how to address it (assuming it needs to be addressed). I remember reading in the past about rising rate FPRs and other stuff, but this is all from memory and it's been years since I've had time or money to put into the Trac. That being said, if anyone can add to this or clarify please do so!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Hmm. I didn't think of that... I guess I could start looking for some kind of gas tank sealant and coat everything with it.

Once I get the thing running, the most I'll want to do in terms of power mods is a boost controller, so whatever fuel pump would be best for that situation (I assume stock would be just fine). Although stock looks to be around $300... about the same for the Supra pump. Unless someone knows a good place to buy...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 pm

That was my plan, get the Supra pump to support future mods... but I didn't want to be running pig-rich and fouling out plugs in the meanwhile.
Post a reply