Switch to full style
Talk about your project car here
Post a reply

Re: Jeff's 1989 Black ST165

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Got the engine out this weekend. It only took two months since starting! It sucks only being able to work on it a day or two every couple of months. Makes progress seem even slower than it is. Oh well.

Got held up taking the transmission off. I got it to separate about half an inch and now it doesn't want to budge. Need to read up. Starting to think I must have missed a bolt somewhere.

The passenger side motor mount is stripped out. Previous owner put a long carriage nut/bolt in there instead. Might be able to re-tap it and get the correct bolt in there. Drivers motor mount is pretty rusty, will see if I can get one in better shape from the junk yard. Radiator top mount/brackets are like that too.

If someone knows the specs on the bolts used to mount the trans to the block I could use that. I need to get some bolts for the engine stand and forgot to bring the trans bolts with me. Trans bolts are too short for my stand I think.

Glamour shots:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:35 am

Two weekends in a row! Holy crap!

Got the trans and engine apart today. Got the engine on a stand. Found a Clutch Masters clutch hiding in there...

Used a one man method I'm going to call the "reverse missle silo". Used the cross member mounts and lifted the trans off the engine with a crane.

The clutch:

Flywheel:

...and finally on a stand:

The trans/transfer/diff assembly just for good measure:

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:58 pm

Still tearing down... But had to stop to post this picture.

This is why you use RED Toyota coolant and NOT GREEN:

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:47 pm

One more of coolant sludge

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:53 pm

Also why it is very important you don't mix them...

Hopefully you can get it cleaned up! You'll have to do the radiator and heater cores too. :doh:

-Charlie

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:13 pm

phattyduck wrote:Also why it is very important you don't mix them...

Hopefully you can get it cleaned up! You'll have to do the radiator and heater cores too. :doh:

-Charlie

Yep! I wasn't initially going to do a full rebuild, but I'm glad I kept taking parts off... looks more than necessary. Radiator is getting replaced. Trying to find a place that'll dip the block or something. Will probably just flush the heater core myself, but we're a ways off from that right now.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 am

Wow ... nice work ... I'm assuming it was overheating ...

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:30 pm

88gt4DE wrote:Wow ... nice work ... I'm assuming it was overheating ...

Probably, but I've not had the car running long enough to know.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:13 am

No updates other than I bought a cover for it. A little more sitting shouldn't hurt it.

I've relocated to Maine while the car is still in Washington (in parts no less). Hopefully when things settle down a bit, something else will happen...

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:11 pm

Planning to trailer the car to Maine in September. Should be able to work on it a lot more regularly at that time! :D

Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:12 am

I need this fuel tank.do you sell it?

Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:12 pm

No I don't sell gas tanks.

To update this thread, I sold the car to user Tecker185 who had an engine ready to drop in. From what I've seen this car is driving around New York now :)

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Yupp took me about 6 months to get around to putting the motor in. Drove it up until we got snow. Next year think im going to put a gen4 in it. Here are some picsImage
Donor car
ImageImageImagemImage
Ill start a project thread next year if i find the funds to go gen4. If not ill just enjoy driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post a reply