Wife's 92 Restore

Hotrodhendrix

Well the wife decided she wanted one after I finished Satan. Sooooooo. I picked up a project 92 St185 which I had talked him into purchasing 4-5 years back I think. The motor is Satan's original motor which another buddy purchased and then sold to the other buddy haha.

It was a roller which was in a front end accident years back and left for dead in a junkyard. Some guy in florida purchased it and did his "best" to replace the radiator support. We will get back to that shortly. Which is when my buddy picked it up and eventually brought it to his fathers hunting ranch 3 years back.

Day we picked it up
IMAG1302.jpg

fenders got crunched when removing it from the shed

After a quick bath time at the local car wash it was time to toss her in the garage
IMAG1304.jpg

IMAG1303.jpg

Up on rollers to make it easy to move around
IMAG1305.jpg

IMAG1306.jpg

The first few days were spent cleaning and removing most everything from the engine bay.
IMAG1322.jpg

Previous previous owner had cut a hole for a "cold air intake".. he used a drill bit over and over until he could punch a whole. Cut a patch panel piece from one of the bad fenders to repair.
IMAG1323.jpg

I cant seem to find the pictures of the welds on the radiator support before but itss hard to explain how bad it was. fixed those up
IMAG1325.jpg

Deleted door guards. rear wiper. rear spray nozzle. Welded holes.
IMAG1326.jpg

IMAG1328.jpg

IMAG1329.jpg

Found a bit of body work previously done on the passenger door. A bit of rust was found behind all the door guards which seems to be common.
IMAG1327.jpg

One week into the build
IMAG1330.jpg

88gt4DE

Awesome ... his and hers ... I plan to do the same thing someday. House and garage is next on list though :doh:

Hotrodhendrix

yep it will be a stock build for the most part. Other than a 3' down pipe which I already have for it she will probably just have basic things. Boost controller, bov, suspension upgrades.

~James

AFCor

James, I will be following this project very closely. Your car (Well your wife's) and mine share very similar damage albeit in different locations. I'm looking forward to seeing your solutions. I love to do this stuff, but it seems you have a lot more experience than I do. Good luck!
-Anthony

Hotrodhendrix

83841":kjyjj3vp said:
Do you work? Where do you find the time to do all this stuff?

Haha yep I work. I even drive 1 hour and 15min each way to work. One older daughter and a baby. Usually I spend about 10 hours total on the weekend and 1 hour per night during the week. Now I dont sleep as much as I should but it all works out. Once you have done this a few times it gets MUCH easier.

AFCor":kjyjj3vp said:
James, I will be following this project very closely. Your car (Well your wife's) and mine share very similar damage albeit in different locations. I'm looking forward to seeing your solutions. I love to do this stuff, but it seems you have a lot more experience than I do. Good luck!
-Anthony

Thanks, I try to take as many pictures as possible to show some of the basics behind what I have done. If any information is missing that you need just let me know and I will try and help out. This one will be a fairly quick restore.

~James

CSAlltrac

That's cool dude. My girl is starting to get the bug as well, it's awesome. Throw me a PM, might be moving to TX soon.

Bobbyx661

Good luck man! i think the " His and Hers " idea is fucking awesome btw.

and even in the condition its in now,its still better then a honda !! lmao

toayoztan

Like the his and hers thing too.

My wife loves cars too, but I think she's sick of the alltrac since it's still not together lol. Especially since it's at my parent's garage. That'll change when we get our own house next Spring.

Keep up the good work!

Bryan

Hotrodhendrix

Well I forgot to update this haha. Some more work has been done since but not much. The rust repair on the body is just about complete but we have been at a stand still for the last few weeks. Our house sold and we are waiting to close on it over the next month or so. This of course means we are rushing to find another place and pack haha. I also have been searching for a new job and will be interviewing for a new position this thurs. Busy busy but I did snatch up a few new toys for it.

New toys:
18x8 OZ rally superlaggara's
--Traded them for an old ebay turbo maybe worth 50 bucks if I could even find a buyer and 100 cash. Currently they are gold but they will be blasted and most likely be nickel plated when I take all the bolts to be done. Either that or I will "chrome" reflective silver is actually what it is powder coat them and use a tinted clear powder over that.

Gallon of ultra high gloss wet single stage black urethane, 1/2 gallon mid coat clear (for the purple pearl), 1 gallon ultra high gloss wet clear and new gun to shoot the 2k high build primer with. Only thing left is the actual purple pearl powder.

Body work is about 90% done as there was not much. Im sure more small low areas will be found during the block sanding process though. As for the rust I will upload pictures but surface rust was treated with ospho. Engine bay and floor pan location will be rust primer coated and then painted. Exterior was ground smooth then skim coated with body putty.

Thats about it for now :)
~James

Hotrodhendrix

toayoztan":2u9xwih9 said:
Are you looking to still stay in the DFW area?

Bryan

Yes. Just much closer to the city. Currently im about 45 min north west of Fort Worth and drive to Irving for work (1hr 15min each way average). We offered on a place in west Arlington but would rather be in north Fort Worth Keller area. If all goes well this position im trying for is in Bedford so would only be about 15min from Keller.

Closer to Joe and Keri thats for sure.

~James

Hotrodhendrix

Well looks like the wife is now wanting me to finish her alltrac to sell it and purchase her an old vert car. Most likely late 60s mustang... Blah. If so I will stick with the stock wheels it has on it and sale off the Bronze Oz rally ultralaggeras I picked up for it and stick with the stock forest green color.

This hurts my soul. :cry:

~James

Hotrodhendrix

Im willing to bet she never really wanted it in the first place other than just to make me happy. Its ok. Variety is good and I will still save an alltrac. Progress will continue in mid April once the big move has been completed.

toayoztan

Hotrodhendrix":k141plbc said:
Im willing to bet she never really wanted it in the first place other than just to make me happy. Its ok. Variety is good and I will still save an alltrac. Progress will continue in mid April once the big move has been completed.

Where have you moved to? Wasn't sure if you said you found a place yet.

Bryan

Hotrodhendrix

Well it basically ended up getting tossed in a barn. Then I purchased a 64 honda dream that I ripped apart and am still restoring. Complete resto on it has taken far longer than planned. This alltrac will be back in line within a few months. Parents want it out of their barn haha

~James