SCCA ST165 finally begins

https://youtu.be/-DTOQN_aPX8

Fought hard but P2 was the best I could manage. The 800lb difference and understeer were the deciding factor as my front tires began to melt by half distance... Not bad for a 30 year old ST165 w/ a 35mm restrictor vs an Exige cup...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The pic with the E30 was from the previous weekends race... Still a good shot of two 80's group-A pedigree's together.
278e576b43e89431281c0556ebfee822.jpg
b673b23835024201428a44d17f347712.jpg
16cd176a39ca605d0e2975faa9c58cd5.jpg

CMS-GT4

I watched your race the other day. Good work. That lotus went wide into the grass. Did he ever recover or did that ruin his race.

CMS-GT4":300mheae said:
I watched your race the other day. Good work. That lotus went wide into the grass. Did he ever recover or did that ruin his race.

He did recover unfortunately.... twice actually. He went off on lap 1 and again about half way but was able to chase me down both times... there's obviously a huge difference between our cars, something like 800lbs, so my tires don't hold up well by comparison. Especially when it's almost 90 degrees out like it was that day.

I'm still very happy with 2nd place even though my son doesn't look too thrilled up there with me. lol

Short Indy RunOffs recap... showed up 2 days late for Quali so only had 2 days left. Qualified 18/34 in STU and 19/22 in T1. My last STU quali session wouldve placed me 9th the previous day but everyone went faster... I should've showed up on day 1!
The car is not built for T1, I run it to sort things out mostly, but since I made it to the big show of course I'm gonna race. Finished P15 in T1 and had a great race with a newer Mustang. Had a decent STU start but traffic sucked. Was up to 12th by lap 3 but a Rotary Miata blew an oil line in front of me at the turn 6 braking zone... i hit the brakes and went straight into the gravel trap. The front splitter dug in and got ripped off. RACE OVER! Was super bummed, screamed profanity's at the corner Steward for letting the Miata come back on track and onto the racing line which is actually how I got caught out.... but such is racing. We worked out some kinks and the plus is that it was 5th fastest in a straight line when looking at the lap charts post race.

Sonoma is the 2018 RunOffs location but the travel expense may be enough to count me out...
f665b59cb6fde5377c9ca3bde143bf7d.jpg
88772758481cb0939420dece9c6b5130.jpg
f39cb73cf8e214ca315ab41863c452a6.jpg

Was back on the Dyno Wednesday since it only had about an hour of Dyno time before Indy, I wanted to see what the new motor spec could put down...
11:1 Compression, 290/274 cams, Billet Supra CT26A but stock wheel size of 46mm, P&P cyl head and port matching much improved over first build...
STU 35mm restrictor - 275whp/330wtq
T1 46mm restrictor - 399whp/340wtq

Not too shabby for basically stock CT26, shit log Gen1 manifold, and nothing too special built 2.0 motor...
704526a0c6ac2691a3c0bd8f7fd08e07.jpg
d95caac3a1c57b8341ca1ec89d281a76.jpg

GT4_DRED":1bparg17 said:
Really liking the torque curve with the restrictor. Are you running the Quaife unit(s) yet?
Not yet. The KAAZ has held up well. The real mental block I'm having with running the Quaife is retaining the factory VC... The only solution I can come up with is to lock the VC somehow to full-time 50/50 split and let the front and rear diffs do their jobs.
I'm open to suggestions and/or solutions [emoji16]

GT4_DRED

eric thompson":1fn001t8 said:
GT4_DRED":1fn001t8 said:
Really liking the torque curve with the restrictor. Are you running the Quaife unit(s) yet?
Not yet. The KAAZ has held up well. The real mental block I'm having with running the Quaife is retaining the factory VC... The only solution I can come up with is to lock the VC somehow to full-time 50/50 split and let the front and rear diffs do their jobs.
I'm open to suggestions and/or solutions

I just picked up a quaife unit myself and I'm now in the same boat. I'm contemplating either rebuilding the vc to a higher torque rating, locking the vc (jbweld) or doing a spool to remove the vc altogether. No real-world experience at this point, but jbwelding the vc has been done before, but I don't think those cars ran on a road course. I'm also looking to swap out the rear torsen diff to something more reliable, so looking at my options at this point. On that note, I'm not sure which of the three (1, 1.5, or 2 way) would better help to get the rear to rotate?

As a note, I was looking at this a few months back, as a much cheaper solution to the quaife. Agile Performance

underscore

eric thompson":3heoy03j said:
We had also fitted some Highlander rear knuckles as they were also 26 spline axles

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but were they a fairly direct fit or was there a bunch of custom work involved?

underscore":2ygrnj5f said:
eric thompson":2ygrnj5f said:
We had also fitted some Highlander rear knuckles as they were also 26 spline axles

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but were they a fairly direct fit or was there a bunch of custom work involved?
We never saw it through. It was surprisingly close in fitment initially but would definitely require a bunch of customization to make work...

3SDNA":5f733qrt said:
At what boost pressure did you get those two dyno numbers for your different racing classes?
Both at 20psi on 100 octane. Keep in mind with the 35mm restrictor in STU that 20psi dropped to 12psi by 6500rpm.

underscore

eric thompson":18uuii6t said:
underscore":18uuii6t said:
eric thompson":18uuii6t said:

We never saw it through. It was surprisingly close in fitment initially but would definitely require a bunch of customization to make work...

Gotcha, thanks!

GT4_DRED":1r44ycuw said:
eric thompson":1r44ycuw said:
Thank you sir! It has definitely not been easy or cheap... Lol

CMS-GT4":1r44ycuw said:
Got to be one of my favorite 165s.
X2.. Really nice to see a 165 setup proper..

Any changes to the steering rack to improve the ratio?
Not really... I would've liked to have tried something but it's really not bad at speed with proper grip... The only time I'm really turning the wheel more than I'd like is in slow corners after the front tires have begun to overheat and understeer.