300kw ST185 that if sex looked like a car it would be mine!

NZgt4

Hello. So quick run down.... I had a ZR Celica, sold it, got a white narrow body GT4 with to many km's on the clock and did some mild mods to it then I happened to come accross another GT4 (red) with a bigger turbo, injectors and stuff. So I bought it and sold the white one. Currently I have quite a spec list...

Heart:
Engine: 3SGTE 2015cc 4cyl
Block: JE Forged oversized pistons, Eagle Forged con rods, ARP Studs throughout, ACL bearings (still currently at the engine rebuilders so is subject to change), new pumps/cambelt etc
Head: Kelford 258 cams, Kelford springs, port and polish
Intake: custom plenum, front mount intercooler, ST205 throttle body
Exhaust: Proposed Sinco made 3" system with external wastegate venting all the way to the back of the car
Turbo: Comp Turbo CT3 Turbo (custom turbine set up for more response), Proposed Sinco manifold
Wastegate: 40mm Turbosmart
BOV: Tial Q
Fuel: Walbro pump, Speed Source rail, 850cc Sard injectors
Ignition: Undecided
ECU: Undecided, either a Link G4 Storm or a MegaSquirt item (can you shed any light on the differences?)
Cooling: Fenix radiator with push/pull fans, transmission cooler

Drive:
Gearbox: Standard (until it breaks), TWM Short shifter
Clutch: NZAD custom set up, 6 Puk unsprung disc and 2100 pound pressure plate
Flywheel: NZAD 5.2kg light weight
Diff: Standard

Support:
Struts: BC Golds coilovers
Braces: Whiteline front strut brace, Whiteline rear adjustable sway bar
Brakes: ST205 four pots front and two pots rear, braided hoses, slotted front discs

Shoes:
Wheels: Rota G-Force 18x8.5
Tyres: 215/35R18 Achilles ATR Sport

Exterior:
Paint: Proposed satin black
Enhancements: Despoilered, debadged, new Summit Racing roof spoiler, proposed tints, USDM Wing Mirrors

Interior:
Seats: NZKW fixed drivers seat, NZKW reclinable passenger seat
Steering wheel: Smaller black one, proposed quick release hub
Gearknob: Custom made stainless steel (weighted... a lot)
Instrumentation: Boost and oil pressure gauge
Ice: JVC Head unit, 4" Boschmann fronts, 8" Fusion sub's in the doors, Boschmann 6" rear, Boschmann 10" sub with amp, new amp(s) to run the lot plus the Sony Live ported speaker boxes that came from factory
Other: Stripped bare interior, proposed half cage with side intrustion bars.

NZgt4

I haven't fully installed the new brake set up just yet. I'm waiting for some new discs to turn up first then I will tackle fitting the calipers. My plan was to machine the disc's and put a spacer behind the disc and grind a little off the ball joint. I will put up on the board of what I do when I get it done.

deecee

That's some pretty plain missionary position sex you got at the moment. Keep going young buck, I'm sure you'll learn some new moves in time.. hahahahah

Jokes aside, should be a good little project. Its very similar to mine.
What disc are you using? May I recommend using an altezza disc, redrill to 5x100 and grind the mounting points on the hub carrier to space the caliper properly.

ST205 disc offset is a pain to deal with and you'll be grinding down a consumable instead of easily re-drilling one which would more than likely cost less.

quieter

get st205 discs, buy 4 mm spacers(or a 4 mm sheet of steel), reduce the disc diameter to 306mm, cut the spacers (or steel sheet) to fit inside the rotor. you will also need extended studs.by the looks of it your rims will probably clear the caliper, worse case get a 10mm spacer

deecee

NZ certification rules required spacers over 10mm to be fixed to the hub with independent retainers/screws.
10mm spacer would have to be engineered while 4mm, I believe, comes under the requirements. Also we are not allowed double spacers so the wheel would have to have enough room for the caliper once mounted.

NZGT4 - not sure how commited you are to having Celica st205 brakes at the front, but as I've been through the options, I went with a custom wilwood setup made by Barry at MRP Ltd. Its around $1400 the wilwood superlite kit + cost of subaru Sti 324x30mm discs. Included braided hoses, so the price is variable.

NZgt4

Haha DeeCee, don't forget missionary is the most reliable position haha. Your build gave me some inspiration but I'm not going as hard out as you as I'm too impatient. I will be driving down to Wellington later in the year so might have to compare.

I fitted the rear brakes in half a day, they were literally a straight swap. I think on the front I'm going to get the 4mm spacer and get the discs cut down to 306mm. I've already got some brand new slotted discs and I can get them machined at work. I've also got extended wheel studs already in so thats not an issue. My wheels are frigin huge so clearance isn't an issue at all and i won't need to run a 10mm spacer.

I am running a 5mm spacer on the back which is the max before it has to be fixed to the hub. I don't need any bigger as my rims are wide enough/good offset to give it the stance I want.

deecee

oh - you actually think I'm going to be finished later in the year?? We'll see ;)

Keep it up and we'll see you later in the year :) We'll compare mods..

NZgt4

Got the motor back from West Auckland Engine Reconditioners last Friday. Check this out for a decent spec list....

• Eagle Forged con rods
    CP 86.5mm Forged pistons
    ACL Race big end bearings
    Cometic 60thou head gasket
    Kelford 258 cams
    Kelford valve springs
    DPR Adjustable cam gears
    ARP head studs
    ARP Main Studs
    ARP flywheel bolts
    Head Port and polish
    Extensive valve/retainer work to get good valve clearance
    Engine balance
    New seals everywhere
    New water pump
    refreshed oil pump
    Gates cambelt/tensioner/idler
    And its all painted black

Should be good enough for a few galloping horses to come out at the wheels!
Now to finish off preping the engine bay for paint then it can all go back it.
Not to much more to go, once the engine and gearbox is in it will be a short trip down to Hamilton to get the guys at Sinco (Best exhaust/fabricators in New Zealand. Over half the cars at the big car shows had Sinco manifolds on them!) to make me a whole exhaust system including manifold, down pipe, mid/rear pipe and screamer pipe to the rear of the car so it's legal-ish. Once that is done I've found a bloke that can wire in a Link G4 Storm and tune it for me. Just need to find a 4wd dyno to borrow....... VERY EXCITE!!

NZgt4

Pics

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 3,981
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 3,981
  • engine 3.jpg
    engine 3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,981

deecee

why not just get the wire in and tune at a place that has a dyno instead of chasing around trying to buy time on a dyno?
If this person is a tuner, then they would have access to or know where they can go to get dyno time.

As for the turbo setup, make sure all your ancillaries like fans and big rad etc are in. Tight engine bay and Mike will need to work around the oil filter, clutch slave cylinder and thermostat/rad water pipe etc.

The st185 engine bay has less depth than st205 or st215. He has a st215 jig, but it positions the turbo low, so he's going to have to put in more work to get the turbo into the bay with the limited room available.

You've got a +1 in that you are taking the car to him instead of buying something off the shelf. Shouldn't be too much of an issue. Get him to send it all out to get ProCoated as well.

NZgt4

Painted the engine bay, gearbox and motor are having sex together so not much more to do now, just need to get the motor in. Getting very very excited and I'm pretty sure I'm having driving withdrawal, I took my mums Sports Swift out the other day and thrashed it! Can't wait to drive my car again! Any way, photos.....

NZgt4

So close to being finished now. Just dropped the car off to a mates place that is making up the entire exhaust and installing the Link G4 storm ecu as well as doing heaps of other small jobs. I'm going away tomorrow for work until the end of August so fingers crossed by the time I'm back up its running. No promises though. I have a track day with the New Zealand Altezza club in Taupo at the end of September so my dead line for the car to be running, warranted, regoed and certed was two weeks before the race. Hopefully thats enough time to get a road tune to then let me run the motor/clutch/brakes in and then just before we go away I will go get a high power dyno tune. VERY EXCITE!!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 2,433
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2,433

NZgt4

I finally have some progress. My exhaust guy is doing a fantastic job of fabing up the entire system out of stainless steel.

Specs are....
-3"dump pipe
-3" front, mid and rear sections
-2 resonators and 1 end muffler (I think)
-40mm screamer pipe that runs the length of the car
-Steam pipe rams horn manifold

Looking awesome I thought!

Attachments

• 9912_716957008333941_1204527977_n.jpg
    9912_716957008333941_1204527977_n.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2,356
  • 1375645_716080768421565_568746776_n.jpg
    1375645_716080768421565_568746776_n.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,356
  • 1377085_716957051667270_1973507030_n.jpg
    1377085_716957051667270_1973507030_n.jpg