FC Zach's AllTrac

FC Zach

Thanks! The next projects on the list are to repair/replace the passenger fender if I find a good paint match, if that happens I can then have the carbon CS style hood painted too. I would also like to get the leather seats either reupholstered or find good used seat covers from someone here on the forum, this will be a waiting game I guess since it seems everyone's seats are in similar condition to mine. Upholstery may be the way to go but is expensive!

88gt4DE

Next on my list too ... I found reasonable supra seat covers but I'm sure they won't fit right and I'll have to get my Upholstry guy involved to straighten them out. Waiting for a garage then they are getting donw. Sun can eat the old ones for now ;)

FC Zach

The most dreaded failure happened to me last week and that was my clutch going out for good. I was very confused as to what it could be since I had already repaired/replaced all the hydraulics the last time this happened (I did double check this, not ruling it out and confirmed it was functioning properly). I never once suspected the clutch was the issue since I have receipts and service records from the previous owner showing it was replaced.

A few days later after I borrowed my dads inspection scope, I looked inside the bell housing through the fork hole. Prior to doing this the only thing I could imagine was the cause of all this was possibly a damaged throwout bearing :shrug: since the previous owner/mechanic used the supplied bearing with the Exedy kit (this seems to be no no here) so I had convinced myself that was the problem but once I saw the bearing was there and intact I had a major WTF moment. . .

The only thing I saw was dust and convinced myself that the disc had failed. .

Over the entire weekend, up until yesterday morning I worked diligently to remove the engine/transmission from the car and also separate the transmission (which was a PITA!! !), I used the "Missile Silo Method" by myself and it worked much more efficiently than my friend and I moving the damn thing around all over the place for over an hour without any luck.

So after I got it apart I found this:
10311776_867899833231497_5802580358012875277_n.jpg

This was surprising to me since there were only ~11,000 miles on this clutch!

I have an Exedy stage 2 on the way and will be ordering preventative maintenance stuff like cam/crank seals, water pump, timing belt and tensioner bearing.

Oh yeah, gotta order the damn power steering control valve too since I neglected removing it and of course broke both vacuum nipples off the stupid thing! So for anyone doing a removal/install of the engine, take everyone's word and remove the valve because no matter how careful you think you are shit happens, that's what toilet paper is for :D

In this thread I see that someone else also had a Exedy stage 1 failure, I wonder if the metal piece that broke off of mine did the same with his but caused more damage? ?
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44138
2012-05-02_071423.jpg

CSAlltrac

I would contact Exedy and see if you can get a warranty replacement. Even if you dont use it you will have some parts to sell. On your crank seals, from my experience use the "if its not broken dont fix it" mentality. I wouldn't mess with it if it is not leaking. I did that once and could never get it sealed like factory again.

FC Zach

Ha ha, I'm glad you mention that because I was considering the same thing. I believe that most if not all the oil leaking is coming from the cam seals and just like you I attempted to replace the crank seal on my previous celica and I believe I made it worse.

FC Zach

I'm emailing exedy now, my first response from them regarding the pics I sent leads me to believe that it may be a lost cause.

"Zach,

From the pictures you provided it looks like there was side plate failure on the clutch disc assembly. This could be a result of :

1: failing input shaft bearing, causing too much play in the transmission input shaft
2: Overpowering ( exceeding the torque limits of the clutch disc assembly )   the clutch disc assembly causing the side plate to hit the stop pins that hold the damper assembly to the clutch disc lining.
3: Abusive driving ( dropping the clutch, side stepping the clutch , clutch kicking … etc. )
4: missed shift (I.E 5th to 2nd gear )

I have attached our fault finding guide, on pages 32 & 52 it explains that type of failure.

If you would like to have the clutch kit inspected we can do that, just let me know and I’ll be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,"

I simply replied

"1. There isn't an input shaft bearing for my transmission.

2. The car is a stock other than exhaust, no major power adding parts.

3. This is my daily driver, I do not a abuse it.

4. No missed shifts.

I would like something to be done but honestly if it takes much of my time and or requires money out of pocket to get something done we'll just consider this a write off. I've already purchased a new, more expensive Exedy clutch. Was really just inquiring to see if some reimbursement could be made if this is a manufacturer defect and warranted."

Chuck.hudson

Hey Zach you can fix that idle up power steering piece of junk. If I remember right it's pretty expensive I broke mine and after seeing the price I just fixed it. I took two drill bits of the appropriate size and pushed them into the nipple and into the housing to hold the nipple in place then used resin to bond them back on. I actually used fiberglass around them then put sealant around them after the resin kicked just to make sure there were no pin hole leaks. For what it is you could use the same stuff you fixed your cup holder with. Just make sure you remove all oil and grease before laying it up.

FC Zach

Man, I thought about that but just decided to purchase a new unit. Got it from Rock Auto for ~$65.

FC Zach

After reading the attachment sent in the last email from Exedy, I now know that stage 1 I had in the car isn't warranted. That model and the stage 2 only have a 60 day (from purchase date) warranty.

Anyways, little update. .

Since getting the engine out of car and separated from tranny I have been cleaning everything, I've used a lot of Purple Power. At a stand still till remaining parts arrive. I ordered a timing service kit but for the wrong type 3S, other style on the way.

10806492_870865549601592_363770824368389078_n.jpg

934889_870865579601589_6550375829403460241_n.jpg

My OEM timing cover was busted and needed to be replaced, I couldn't find a used one for a decent price so I just got one of these off eBay for only a little more than what others were asking for used pieces.
1939886_870865619601585_680164996796851698_n.jpg

FC Zach

I used the brilliant idea from another member here, using casters on the crossmembers so the tranny can be moved around easily since I didn't have a furniture dolly. This helped tremendously, so I could get the assembly outside for cleaning.
10406387_874717625883051_6985337943576360613_n.jpg

Also I got the bay cleaned and prepped for paint. .
10849969_874717539216393_2952725344252978834_n.jpg

Duplicolor wheel paint was a very close match, very happy with the results!
10849937_874717545883059_3724722494581146454_n.jpg

Still waiting on the timing belt kit. . . On the third one now, the last one that came in was missing all the water pump seals :bangshead: I can't wait till this is over with, really getting frustrated and patience is wearing thin :shoots:

FC Zach

The third timing belt kit arrived :x and without the damn seals again! I specifically asked that the box be inspected prior to shipping but somehow that request slipped through the cracks. . Anyways I had RockAuto send me a partial refund to cover the price of the missing seals from the local dealership. I got a different belt too, I didn't like the one in the kit only because it was a generic brand that I didn't want to gamble with. . So the front of the engine is freshened up and hopefully leak free! :| crossing fingers.
10433109_878050782216402_578195154669973487_n.jpg

Exedy stage 2 mounted.
10845962_878050765549737_5654031895101251616_n.jpg

I did what was beginning to feel like the impossible, I attached the engine and transmission. Sounds simple enough but as many of you know is really a chore. After many colorful four letter words were yelled along with throwing things I accidentally joined the two somehow without effort. Anyways, engine is in car now and I hope to have running tomorrow. .
10401524_878049472216533_1275180162243163723_n.jpg

Street_Chally73

My previous Exedy clutch dropped a piece after only having around 11,000 miles on it, too! It sounds like you went through the very same steps that I did while trying to get everything working again (all new hydraulics went on mine).

Keep up with the progress & good luck with not having any leaks!

FC Zach

So finally after almost a month of having the car down for repair, I got her back up and running yesterday! :D

Pics from last weeks work:
Water pump seals that delayed progress for way too long. .
1969158_878962462125234_1709006111402135768_n.jpg

New replacement parts:
-XIIImotorsports Crossmember Bushings.
10846223_878962482125232_7762003204319796617_n.jpg

-XIIImotorsports PTFE Lined Spherical Bearing Shift Cable Bushings.
10392424_878962478791899_7859698291663800399_n.jpg

FC Zach

I drove the car around the block today after finishing and very happy with the feel of the stage 2 Exedy, I was worried it was going to be too harsh but it's not at all. So far there are no leaks, still crossing fingers. . .

Chuck.hudson

Hey Zach how do those shifter bushings feel? I don't know how your shifter is but mine is ridiculously loose I was thinking about buying some of those hoping to tighten it up a bit.