Warracer's mild street project.

CMS-GT4

Have you measured bump steer with that much caster? I assume you maxed out the caster on the plates. Did you get the alignment checked at a shop or with your own tools? I got around 3 degrees off my home tool measurements but I had not taken it in to verify my measurements. There is a good chance my measurements were wrong.

MWP

No i havent.
I'll get a proper wheel align sometime soon.
I just did a string-align to 0deg up front.

CMS-GT4

I am curious on the bump steer with increased caster. Some chassis can take a lot of caster, like the sti, and some increase bumpsteer issues when adding a little. Sadly there is not enough published info on our chassis to know what will happen. Are you running fender liners? I had to take mine off after adding the t3 tops since it caused my larger tires to rub them. I am considering additional caster by moving the lower arms out to keep the wheels more in center with the wheel well, which will minimize fender liner modification and potential rub.

bajallama

CMS-GT4":c9867mfz said:
I am curious on the bump steer with increased caster. Some chassis can take a lot of caster, like the sti, and some increase bumpsteer issues when adding a little.

I'm hesitant to think that it will cause more of an issue then that is already present. Your steering angles should technically change slightly (become shallower) but I think whatever downside you can think, the benefits of added caster will definitely overcome. I found it very hard to believe at first that these cars come with almost zero caster. Maybe to offset the steering effort of heavy front end possibly??

The only way I can see to avoid the liner rubbing is to move all of your suspension back or get a narrower/different offset/smaller dia. wheel or lift the suspension :D

MWP

Im definitely not noticing any bump steer issues.

If im visualising it in my head correctly, adding caster should help fix bumpsteer thats a result of lowering the car.
Adding caster lowers the position of the tie rod end.

warracer

camry90":18996wzr said:
hi!
i'm glad to find someone local. you go to St-eu race track?

Yup, I went once but since Im still in college I don't have that much time on my hands, and the lapping is pricey + time consuming but hey Im graduating in May, then we''ll see some major change and alot more update on this project. But I do go to iCar quite often at the Tarmac Attack event (10$ sprint A to B, unlimited run from 18h-22:30h) that I can afford and its quite fun with friends and comparing our time etc...

http://www.circuiticar.com/evenements/124-tarmac-attack.html

Ill also be attending some Snow Attack events:

http://www.circuiticar.com/evenements/318-snowattack.html

So yeah Ive put around 125'000km on the car in 2.5years of ownership and I definitely plan to add more to that :D

turboms

That's a very nice project. I'm glad someone made a good use of those parts I fabricated for my car a few years ago (manifold, I/C plumbing, exhaust). When are you planning to put the VF28 back? :)

I like ihi turbos. Just made a twin scroll manifold for my RC and installed a bettered version of the IHI VF36 to which I grafted a larger billet wheel. That thing hit full boost (15psi) at 2300 rpm and keep pulling like a raped ape all the way to the redline.

warracer

I don't think ill go with the vf28 I might go with a Tomei Arms M8265... Who knows at this point I can't buy anything until summer so I still have plenty of time to think about it :D

warracer

MWP":3elmokcd said:
CMS-GT4":3elmokcd said:
Like warracer said, the TTE 185 is SS and 205 Mac.

They most definitely are not.

Factory 185 is mac, factory 205 is superstrut.
TTE 185 is mac, TTE 205 is mac.

underscore":3elmokcd said:
Either way the TTE setup is pretty far off from what we would want on the street.

Why? What makes you say that?

Because its too stiff? ... but its softer than you guys run, and is probably more comfortable too.
Because its too low? ... isnt that what most here aim for?
Because it has 100's of hours of development by world class racing drivers & mechanics and handles too well? .... errrrrr.

But anyway... all this is way off topic, this thread is about youre awesome build... back to it.

This is the only picture I got from a wrc tte st185 front suspension... :|

aNhyQZL.jpg

And the source of that shot is from that video

http://youtu.be/6XblrFPdkwM?t=15m49s

Looks like a Mac setup to me?

warracer

Well, the car isn't dead, which is good. In fact its still kickin!

Runs good aside from a pretty bad vacuum leak :shoots:

But yeah, just hit 250K on the clock, decided to do a compression test and the yearly maintenance

Turns out, the car is in better shape than I thought, 180psi on all cylinders and spark plug are absolutely normal

11246509_916751001731095_400393999_n.jpg

So for now, I change all my silicon coupling, try to fix my vac leak, valve cover gasket is leaking, I have a broken
exhaust manifold stud, exhaust needs some tlc and the front brakes have seen much better days.

So i'll fix all these minor issues and I will also change the fuel pump for a Denso Supra TT one because my 25years old
stock oem one could fail at anytime...

But aside from that im very happy with the car.
Also, for the winter I will store it so I needed a new car, I settled for a 1990 Toyota Hilux 22Re 4x4 5speed

11313399_1611588015779927_820440464_n.jpg

So yeah, I have a 1990 only Toyota lineup in my driveway haha...

Anyway I felt like I should update even though not much is happening, I really just enjoy driving right now. :D

msanders2

Good call on the "hilux" or as we call them in the U.S. Toyota pickup lol. I had one for many years and drove it in Alaska for 3 brutal winters. Never got it stuck once. I upgraded to a double cab tundra now but I still miss the little guy.

warracer

msanders2":1dff29h4 said:
Good call on the "hilux" or as we call them in the U.S. Toyota pickup lol. I had one for many years and drove it in Alaska for 3 brutal winters. Never got it stuck once. I upgraded to a double cab tundra now but I still miss the little guy.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how it performs in Canadian winter, we get -40 temperature and over 40 inches of snow depending on the area, then again the Gt-Four performed perfectly for the past 4years without any block heater or booster pack it shouldn't be any different with this one... :D

msanders2

I never had a block heater on my pickup either. Started every time no problems! I did have a 4" lift and 33s though. That truck would blast through snow

My alltrac photobombing the pic lol

warracer

Awesome truck man ! wow very clean too! :D

Alright, small update to my project, I removed the fuel tank and swapped out the fuel pump for a Denso Supra TT (950-0155) 280LPH pump. It fitted perfectly, no issues removing the tank or the pump either, everything went smooth like butter. Couldn't be more happy with that, tomorrow I'll reinstall the whole thing :)

11909214_991569997574468_716632583_n.jpg

11993004_10205153492736582_35812444_o.jpg

:D

warracer

So quick update, I drove the car all summer,

Bought some Advan RG1 wheels:

11821650_1647533235526875_2095394883_n.jpg

5pEFtDU.jpg

All was well,
but in the last week of august I started having afr issues, turns out I have a massive boost leak behind the intake manifold. Tried a boost leak test, couldn't hold 2psi... :| I didn't have the time to really diagnose it, but now its in storage.

Luckily,
I finished the pickup on time.

Gt4grey

Hi there, bought a similar car myself, so far I've added a 3" straight through exhaust, decat, L&N filter and ct20b turbo, cars in the garage at the moment, having a engine overhaul, with your background it will be interesting to see what mods you carry out.

warracer

Just an update after a couple years,

I never sold this car, and I moved to my first house 2 years ago and the Celica sat in the garage for almost all of that time...

I finished my 1990 4Runner overhaul recently so now it was time for the celica to get some love...

No pics for now since im at work , but with that said I did alot of things to it.

It now sits at 260'000km original engine (arp studs , cometic mls hg) and RC transmission with now over 150'000km on it.

I re-intalled a new 3inch exhaust, went back to the original exhasut manifold but with a 50trim clocked CT26 to keep my FMIC and intake piping.

New st205 rear diff since my original one had a bearing whine.

New motor mount , oem since I don`t plan on big power nor do I wanted vibration in the cabin.

Poly shift bushings , new slave cylinder and im sure im forgetting alot of things.

It ran great for about 80miles before I started to get a lean condition randomly , then I figured it was because I didn`t do the 12v fuel pump mod on my Supra TT pump...

Well, I messed up the jumper because I wanted to get that done quickly and now I get no power in the ON position of the key... So im now diagnosing why that is the case. Suspecting maybe the car alarm is to blame ? not sure yet.

Anyway, aside from that the car has been doing well :) Taking my time with it since im not in college anymore and I have to do adult things like work and taxes...

In the medium long term id love to get a proper ECU like a Haltech Elite 550 or even the 1000 if I have the money. But thats for another day and ill keep the terrible VAFM for now haha.