Operation: DARKSPYRO ST204->AWD

Malek

Hey ya'll!!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Holidays and travels add up fast. Anyways..

I swapped out my 17 gal rci aluminum tank for a 12 gal FuelSafe tank. The rci developed a wicked leak and figured I could sell the aluminum for more than the tank was worth so yep. I still haven't constructed a full cover yet. I am thinking of ways to use the factory fuel filler and creative ways to maximize trunk space.

I now have two Walbro pumps. intank and inline. I am preparing to add the swirl pot sometime soon.

Thoughts on driving a swapped AWD 6gc:
It's a damn blast! I remember how driving the fwd 3sgte setup felt and commonly I compare the two when driving. The fwd is obviously a lot lighter (I can feel the added weight). However, the hook up and go on the AWD is far beyond any fwd lsd I've driven. Through the twisties, the weight is a bummer but what weight it does carry makes up in the apex exit. Hammer down right after the apex, point, and shoot. It's a wonderful feeling. I was worried about not having a rear sway bar (another chassis issue to overcome) but I like the way it handles as is. The subframe mounts stiffened the rear end tremendously.

quirks:
-the inline pump is loud as fak. Didn't think it would be that loud.
-Haven't found any issues with the drivetrain yet. Tracks excellently and was able to get it aligned damn near perfect.

I'll be getting some pics and videos up when it's cleaned up. :smokes:

GT4times2

That's great news!! Big ups for getting it done, and in such short time. I might go your route (versus floorpan cut out for mounting subframe), although having the factory floor pan was the way I wanted it.

Keep up the good work. Let us know when you load up some videos. I'd love to see it action.

Id imagine that most front clips from an st205 have almost all pieces required, aside from the custom mounts that were fabricated.

I love this build/idea. Awesome job bud

sMARTINside

Nice to read that you have fun with it! You should try a rear sway bar. From my experience, on the Celica 4WD, it really is day and night! :)

Malek

Hey Everyone! (Completely forgot about this site :shrug: Don't kill me!)

Anyways, some updates since I last posted!
-1,100 miles! Not much, I know. It's my daily now so miles will go up faster most likely.
-I now have AC AND HEAT!
-Welded a rear floor pan and mounted the tank straight to it. I got fed up with the dropping it and covering idea. Ordered some filler hose so I can run it to the stock fender filler. Tired of filling my gas tank through the trunk haha

-Installed the front GT4 brakes and SS lines. Will be swapping the rotors out with WRX ones for better fitment.
-Welded up a temporary exhaust. Goes under the rear subframe. Looks terrible. Might go side exit for the proper one.
-7gc seats with seat heaters and OEM buttons (because Colorado)
-Welded the proper length hood latch lol
-Sourced a black 2 post hatch for GT-FOUR ness reasons
-New windshield coming up

As far as a weld in kit..call up Hank at Hanksville Hotrods to talk about it. I don't really have the time or drive to be the liaison and set all that up haha

Only pic I have..lost all my other ones when my phone crashed. :doh: Also, don't mind all the dirt lol it's been cleaned up since then.