Rust restoration/suspension up grade

Talk about your project car here

Rust restoration/suspension up grade

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:19 am

I bought a 91 all trac little over a year ago in Erie pa. I randomly bought the car hoping to have a soild car. My plans was to make it into a street car. The craigslist add said the car had a blown head gasket. I figured I would go check it out. A blown head gasket wasn't going to stop me from owning a all trac. The guy wanted 3500 dollars for it. I drove out to Eire after renting a car hauler. Yeah stupid me rented a hauler with out seeing the car in person. :oops: Well needless to say Eire is about 2 hours from Pittsburgh. So 180 dollars later I reach my destination. While talking with the guy I gathered some information on the car. He tells me just a little rust has started nothing major tho......... :bs: I started walking around the car looking at this so called little rust to find it was worse than he said. What a surprise.... I had a magnet with me to make sure nothing was fiber glassed. The car checks out and I work my way to the underneath of the car. I discover lots of issues.. 1. sway bar mounts rotted off. 2. rigged up brake lines/fuel lines. 3. Floor starting to rust thorough. :bangshead: After questioning him about his (little rust) he tells me he had no ideal... I ask him to take me for a ride the car was very low on power. He tells me once again it's the head gasket. I checked for signs of head gasket failure ( exhaust smoke,coolant leaking in oil/around head,over heating) I didn't find any of that. The only thing I found was small amount of coolant going into the over flow once at operation temp. At this point I'm starting to get real upset over this whole trip.. I just said screw it and seen what was going to be his lowest price. After stating the fact he basically wasted my time and my money. He lowered the price to 3000. Long story short I wasn't leaving without it. I got the car for 2000 with out the rims. Here is the add check it out guys. http://www.celispeed.com/forums/sale-fo ... 5-gt4.html Nice looking car in the pictures. But let me just say that looks can be deceiving. After unloading first thing I did was a comp test. #1cyl-184 psi #2,3,4-180 psi. Amazing for 158k miles. So I checked plugs wires cap and rotor to find all in great condition. I decided to take it for a little ride. Throughout the 45 min drive the car got worse i barely was able to make it back home. The next day I took the timing covers off to find the timing belt was super lose. I put every thing at TDC. It was off by 3 teeth unreal I still don't know how I got it home.. The belt looked fairly new so I took the tensioner off. It was so shot the push rod fell clean out of tensioner. I took off the tensioner off the gen4 motor I have. The only thing I modified was the metal timing cover to clear the longer tensioner. Slapped everything back on turned the key and boom she's alive.. :D The coolant over flow issue was due to a faulty rad cap. That's about the only luck I had with the car. I took the car apart winter of 2012 to discover the rust damage was just sickening. Words can't even describe the damage. Like the saying goes pictures are worth a 1000 words.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Ron

DD:06 F150 FX4(aka the gas hog)
Street:91 celica all tac(In the making)
Drag:95 celica GT 4linked ford 9"(project on hold)
AtracYota91
Club Member

Re: Rust restoration/suspension up grade

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:52 am

ImageImageImageImage
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby MWP » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:11 am

:shock: :doh:
Thats amazing.

So what are your plans for it?
I hope you are not considering repairing it?
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:17 am

Heres some more small rust.Imagenotice the body work done. some one pop riveted galvanized sheet metal then fiber glassed over!!!!Image I also like the fact the sun roof drains right into the rockers that's what I call custom. The end result of the driver side is this....Image This is what happens to a rare beautiful piece off rally history in the hands of a guy that don't know body work.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 am

by MWP » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Thats amazing.

So what are your plans for it?
I hope you are not considering repairing it?

Yes I plan on restoring It. The driver side is done already. I have a amazing body guy doing this for me. He welded in rockers of a st. The only reason I didnt use gt-s or all trac rockers is the fact the plastic flares collect water dirt ect. I will post the finished driver side shortly. Check out my intro new member from pittsburgh pennsylvania in the (new member forum) There explains a lot of why I'm doing it and has info on what I did to make this project happen.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby underscore » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:09 am

Well at least it sounds like you had about the same mechanical luck I had, shame about all that rust though. You're certainly a braver man than I am, but I certainly hope you can save the car.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:39 am

Driver side finished. :D This side was worse than the passenger. Let me know what you fellow all trac owners think. Does this project look solid now?Imagethis was the floor that had the huge hole in it. That hole you see is for a rubber plug. I just need to round off the other side.ImageImage Image this picture is the inside of the rear quarter.Image spot welded in and straight as a arrow. Image this picture here I need to join the two supports and that will be finished.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:55 am

underscore wrote:Well at least it sounds like you had about the same mechanical luck I had, shame about all that rust though. You're certainly a braver man than I am, but I certainly hope you can save the car.

If I didnt have my friend doing this body work I would have never even thought about restoring this car. I'm more into mechanical and wiring than auto body. She's looking like a solid car piece by piece she is going to be better than factory. I'm making the car a tank she's gonna be builet proof when we are done. :shoots: :smokes:
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 am

Here are some more of the finished driver side.ImageImageImage Image Every weld shown will be easily ground down flush. There is no over lapping steel at all. So only a small amount of body filler will be used. This is very good considering the huge amount of body work done. 8)
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:17 am

Here are some pictures of the passenger side. Like I said the driver side was worse. Enjoy..ImageImageImage front of rear wheel well on the bottom of rear quarter. Beautiful eh?ImageImage This is the only hole in the passenger floor pan. Located in right corner.ImageThe good old sway bar mount this area never rusts out...... :roll:
Image a better picture of the bottom of rear wheel well.
ImageImage It's hard to tell but this is rusted roof flashing with expandable foam... I guess lows has a automotive section! :shock:
Image Top view of hole in floor pan.
Very oily and greasy. Soon the under side will be sprayed with thick truck bed liner. As well as the whole inside of the car. This should help with heat seal against water and help with cabin noise. The main reason is purely to protect all of the new steel. Every thing is also going to be seam sealed inside and out. I'm going as far as seam sealing over factory sealer.
But be for I even think about paint/sealer. I plan on welding every seam/joint and brace on this car. This is going to be a lot more work but who cares.. This alone will strengthen the chassis 25% or more over the factory chassis.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 am

Here is what the rocker looks like off the st..
The passenger side will be pieced together piece by piece. Every spot weld drilled out and every brace in side the rocker will be welded into its origanal place. I'm sure most people see a car in this bad of shape and think. Wow this car would never be soild enoff to drive not even as a daily driver.. I trust this chassi reconstruction with my life. I will be putting that to the test with the beast of a motor I will be building next year. :evil: Here are the braces I will be buying once the other rocker is complete.
I will be using 3 of these drop sections flipped upside down. One up front as close as I can to the fire wall with out interfering with the transfer case,heater and air conditioning. I can fab up new mounts for clutch/brake/gas peddles if need be. The second one will run rite under the rear mounts for the front seats. I plan on bolting the seats to it. Then the 3rd section will run along the bottom of the rear seats. It will be counter sunk into the backing plate behind the passengers heels. Off subject but drive shaft loops will be mounted to theses drop sections. I may buy theses.
ImageImage
I will probably make my own tho.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:27 am

Here is a few pictures of all my suspention parts I blasted and primed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I lost a lot of my pictures of what the suspention parts looked like before here's a few that I have left.
ImageImageImage
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Bushings all new oem suspention bolts from toyota and more.
ImageImageImage
Off topic but here is the rebuild I did it's all stock but very clean. :wink:
I sand blasted and painted the engine parts just with high temp spray paint for now. I just want clean and stock untill next year.
I lost a lot of my engine build pictures to. :x
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage that's about it for now. So let me know what u guys think about my project. It's nice to read other peoples thoughts on a project I am dumping money hours and love into.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby littlemissalltrac » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Nice! Im glad your restoring it. Im in the same rust boat with my all trac and we will be starting to repair it very soon. I was up in the air about doing it but after seeing yours come back to life (your rust is worse than ours) I have alot more faith i can restore this. Did you guys run into any issues with the body needing any straitening or repair just because so much of the unibody was gone? I was worrying myself about structural integrity when having to replace so much metal.
littlemissalltrac
Club Member

Postby mx6er2587 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:39 pm

you're in pittsburgh? where abouts?
mx6er2587
Established Member

Next

Return to My Project