Rust restoration/suspension up grade

Talk about your project car here

Re: Rust restoration/suspension up grade

Postby wakkjobb » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:19 am

Holy hell, that's some serious rust repair there. :shock:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
MFIC at Rainbows and Unicorns Fabwerkz :D
Old build:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=27648
New build:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=42305
Go-Fast parts:
siliconeintakes.com
wakkjobb
Established Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:40 am

wakkjobb wrote:Holy hell, that's some serious rust repair there. :shock:

Ooo yeah it's for sure not the average body job. :bangshead: I can't let her go to waste. The good part about this repair is its 100% steel no fiberglass at all.
Ron

DD:06 F150 FX4(aka the gas hog)
Street:91 celica all tac(In the making)
Drag:95 celica GT 4linked ford 9"(project on hold)
AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:31 am

Pictures of last nights work. Drilled out spot welds on the ST rocker to remove the rear rocker/quarter panel. It came out beautifully.
Rocker/quarter off. Picture of rocker supports.
Before
After ( This is just a mock up.)
here's a shit ton of spot welds on the rocker drilled half way done with it. I'm going to finish it when I get home from work in another 2 hours. I will keep the pictures Rolling.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:07 am

Who needs to carve turkey on thanksgiving when you can carve rocker panels. :smokes:
Once I sand off the surface rust and coat it I will weld it.
I have only 27 hours into this rocker and she looks great.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby Tecker185 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:30 am

Is that a New York State inspection sticker I see?
93 ST185 2grfe swap in progress
89 ST165
89 SV25
86 AW11 2zzge swapped
86 AE86 GTS Swapped
02 Tacoma TRD Supercharged
15 Corolla S
86 Toyota 1 ton Dually
Tecker185
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:33 am

Tecker184 wrote:Is that a New York State inspection sticker I see?

Yes. The guy I got it off of was from NY but lived In Erie pa.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Main rocker supports cut fitted and ready to weld after they get primed. I been busting this out fairly fast for doing this my self. No help from friends on this one. Not bad for being my first body job. I have about 95% of the body work done. After I get all the sheet metal done I will be welding in the 3 drop section supports. I'm thinking about going over every main support of the car and welding full beads acrossed all the spot welded seams. We will see maybe.
Here's a picture of the rocker supports I'm just test fitting.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby Shaggz00 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:30 am

I really admire your dedication! You're doing a great job, keep it up. Here I am thinking to myself 'How in the hell am I going to fix this rear wheel lip?', and you're replacing whole rockers! Really makes me wish I had the chance to cut out the entire quarter panel from an 89 I saw at the junkyard. Anyways, looks good! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...
-Avi-
'88 ST-165(Black) - Sitting... Waiting... Quietly... in the garage under 2 inches of dust...
'88 ST-165(grey) - gone to rusty Celica heaven
'91 MKIII Supra - 98% completion!
Shaggz00
Gold Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:48 am

Shaggz00 wrote:I really admire your dedication! You're doing a great job, keep it up. Here I am thinking to myself 'How in the hell am I going to fix this rear wheel lip?', and you're replacing whole rockers! Really makes me wish I had the chance to cut out the entire quarter panel from an 89 I saw at the junkyard. Anyways, looks good! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...

Thanks is nice to hear good job on a project I'm so dedicated to. Most people don't understand why I'm doing repairs on a car that is just a rusted out celica.... ? They say. But thing is its a piece of history and not many where made. I do it for that reason and basically I don't want what every one else has. It's a lot of work but the 185 is just disappearing. I can't let it go to waste. But about your wheel lip. If I was you I would cut out the whole inner fender with the lip still attached off your donor car. That way it's one solid piece so you can over lap the inner fender with the donor piece. Then cut your lip in to your quarter. Easiest things to fallow as a templet are your spot welds. Spot welds and seam sealer are your best friend when doing stuff like this.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby Shaggz00 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Yeah, my donor car was at a junkyard, so it was half in the mud. I just took a sawzall to it, and got a section of inner fender and a section of outer skin. I'm a welder by profession, and I do it all, but for some reason automotive sheet metal intimidates me, haha.

Truthfully I really need a whole left quarter, because the back corner has been repaired before (and not well I might add). best thing for me would be to buy a cheap donor car, bring it home, do the sheet metal swap, and junk the rest of the car. I just don't have the time to dedicate at a junkyard removing a whole quarter.

Did you buy one of those special spot weld drill bits?
-Avi-
'88 ST-165(Black) - Sitting... Waiting... Quietly... in the garage under 2 inches of dust...
'88 ST-165(grey) - gone to rusty Celica heaven
'91 MKIII Supra - 98% completion!
Shaggz00
Gold Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Shaggz00 wrote:Yeah, my donor car was at a junkyard, so it was half in the mud. I just took a sawzall to it, and got a section of inner fender and a section of outer skin. I'm a welder by profession, and I do it all, but for some reason automotive sheet metal intimidates me, haha.

Truthfully I really need a whole left quarter, because the back corner has been repaired before (and not well I might add). best thing for me would be to buy a cheap donor car, bring it home, do the sheet metal swap, and junk the rest of the car. I just don't have the time to dedicate at a junkyard removing a whole quarter.

Did you buy one of those special spot weld drill bits?

Trust me once you start taking it apart by drilling spot welds it's easy. It's pretty hard to mess up when all your doing is lining up spot welds by counting them. Make sure you have way more than enoff to work with on you donor piece. As for the out side goes. Cut a nice enven peice of your quarter and do the same with your good quarter. Only making the good peice an inch or so over just to be safe. That's what I plan on doing with mine. Then my plan is to line it up perfectly an run tape along the top of my good peice onto the bad section. Then I will just cut the tape with a razor riding the razor along the top of the good piece. I will then remove the good piece and cut along the bottom the tape on the bad section with a angle grinder. But before I cut the whole thing I'm going to line up the quarters again to be on the safe side. I'm only doing that so I can make sure I have a small enoff gap for my welds. Once you start taking sections apart and cutting out your old stuff u will relize it's simple. I'm 25 run crane at a steel mill haha and I'm doing ok I think? You should have way more than enoff skills since your a welder to pull off that body work. I've never done body work in my life untill about a week ago. I helped do my driver side but the passenger side was all me. But anyway your best bet is to get a whole parts car. I got a whole st for $200 got what I needed scraped it and made my money back. Them drill bits I got at a local welding and paint store. There nothing really special it's basically a 3/8s" hole saw with a sharp point on a spring so it stays centered. They are so nice. I used a punch and hit dead center of the spot welds before I use that bit. Once that bit jumps off the area you are drilling it snaps fairly easy. So yeah use a punch. They stay sharp so I'm sure that's cause they are high carbon steel that's y they break easy. Can't get the best of both worlds I guess.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:09 am

Just started welding up brackets and prepping the main rocker so I can get that welded up. Here's some pics of last nights work.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:58 am

Just finished boxing in the area where the car should be jacked up! Not the middle of the rocker like I seem some people do.. :doh: Anyway here's the finished product of that.
Here's the lip I made to come off the floor to connect the rocker.
I started the inner rocker then ran out of Aragon.
I busted my ass today but she's looking good!!!! 8) Round 2 starting this afternoon.
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:22 pm

I haven't posted anything latly. I've been pretty busy working 12s. But ya the rocker is pretty much done tho! Inside the rocker is all painted floor patched and everything is all sealed up. All I have left really is small patch work on the rear iner fender and more spot welding the rocker in. With that all said here's some pictures!
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

Postby AtracYota91 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Here's some of the stuff I have left to finish..
Well that is about it for that rocker! Not to bad for a 25 year old that never done body work before ehhh?
Ron

AtracYota91
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project