project 3 for 1

Locker

Figured I might as well start a project thread as I'm sure I'm going to run into some tough spots through out this build!!! Also sorry in advance for the long initial post.

So in the grand scheme of things I'm taking 2 GT4's and a Turbo 4wd (Canadian Car) and making 1. I'll be using the body of the red 92 and converting it to LHD using all the required parts including the firewall of the white 90. Interior will be half from the red car and half from the white. Then for the engine I'll be using the 94 engine, tranny and rear end with 1990 wiring hooked up to my AEM EMS.

I've owned the white car now almost 5 years. I've done a few things here and there (Suspension, EMS, side feed manifold etc) but the body has always been rough. It looked OK from the outside but the floor and even getting into the frame was rotting away. I had no front sway bar because the mount rotted away. I've always debated whether to spend a shit load fixing the rust or just buying a Southern shell or something.
2 years ago a local guy wrote off his 94 so jumped on that as I wanted that rear end as well as the drivetrain and those Wheels!! Sold a few things off it and the rest now sits in my shed.
Well a little over a month ago a member on this site blew the engine on their JDM car and needed the body gone. We worked out a fair deal and I went and picked it up. Only issue its RHD.... so here we go.

As you can see I've got most of the interior out of the red car and still half the engine left in the engine bay.... then disassemble of white car... then firewall swap and paint. then put it all back together

underscore

It's pretty sad when a damaged bumper and hood make a car a write off these days. Why are you going through the work of converting to LHD?

phattyduck

Any reason not to keep the one GT4 RHD? Seems like the easiest way to go.

Otherwise, good luck with the project! It looks like you have plenty of room and parts to work with, so now its time to execute!

-Charlie

Locker

The 94 was also smashed up in the rear end as well. Technically it could have been saved but I just wanted the drivetrain.

As for the LHD conversion. It just has to be LHD. For a bunch of little reasons I just wouldn't want to own and drive a RHD car.
The shell was at the right price and with my rotten car beside it I have everything I need to convert it so why not try right :D

phattyduck

It looks like a great opportunity to make one car 100% the way you want it from three cars that were never going to be that way. Keep the updates coming!

-Charlie

Locker

I haven't had a chance to update this in a while. Been busy with Family and helping a friend finish his MR2 project. The JDM car is almost bare. All that is left to do is remove the sunroof and the body wiring harness as well as the rear end then onto stripping the white car. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get the body sent out for paint before summer but time will tell.
Unfortunately winter wont leave Ontario so its tough to want to go outside when its -20 Celsius. We got a foot of snow just yesterday :(

Locker

So I figured it was about time for me to update this thread as its been a few months.
Progress has been slow but steady and I'm at least relatively close to the timeline I was hoping for.

The chassy is ready for media blasting and will be sent out next week! (I still have to drop the tank, fuel/brake lines) once back from media blasting the firewall will get replaced and on to the reconstruction. Tones of work left but it's starting feel like I'm making forward progress now. The tear down of both cars, labeling all the harnesses, and trying to keep 2 cars worth of parts even somewhat organized has proved to a fun and time consuming challenge.

Here are a few pics of the progress.

This is the pile of parts in my basement (the crawl space is also full

Bare floors in the gta

Bare interior of the gta. The rear hatch isn't going for blasting as my original white one is perfect with zero rust so I didn't want to worry about having to replace the rear glass

Wiring harnesses from both cars

2 of my 3 rear sub frames.

Once it's back from blasting the real work begins, I can't wait

Locker

Well played andrew.
Actually one kinda neat thing I'm getting out of this is both LH&RH seats are 'drivers seats' so both have lumber and the seat bottom adjustments

Locker

quick update:
Super excited as right now the JDM car is sitting on a flat bed in my driveway and tonight will be taken for media blasting.
The project has finally hit the tipping point from deconstructions to reconstruction.
After media blasting its off to my buddies shop where the conversion to LHD will be done as well as all the body work to get ready for paint.
Time to pick the white I'm going to paint the car!

athousandleaves

I feel like pearl white paints look weird on the alltrac, not era appropriate... Super White 040 when done right looks REALLY good.

Locker

Andrew are you referring to the super white that came stock on our cars.
I'm going to pick a 'true white' I don't want too much if any pearl.

MWP

Try 079. Lexus Whitest White, as used on the LFA.
Ive just started painting my GT4 in it, looks great.
It's a very clean cool white.