project 3 for 1

Talk about your project car here

Re: project 3 for 1

Postby Locker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:31 pm

I wish I could give you the full details but I wasn't there for everything. There were a number of panels that had to be removed before they could access the firewall. Terrible explanation I know..
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby CSAlltrac » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Locker wrote:they didn't actually cut anything. it was meticulously disassembled by drilling out all of the pinch welds then reassembled as if it was from factory.
I'm pumped about the final result but it would have been much cheaper and easier to import a mint southern car. What I'm excited about with this car is that it is quite literally going to be a brand new 1990 celica once completed. Though I'm a very long way away from that day.

This is awesome to see that the swap was done correctly! Ive seen way to many builds with hacked up firewalls for the conversion.
I love your build so far, very professional and thorough. Cant wait for the finished result, keep the pictures coming.
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby Locker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Thx man. My goal with this car is to get everything done once. After owning a Celica or at one point just an engine for the past 14 years I figured I might as well start from scratch and build it right.
I can't wait to share pictures of the body once here and start putting it back together.
90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby Locker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:37 am

Quick update.
This weekend was spend cleaning and painting a few parts in anticipation of the shell arriving. progress was slow but the gas tank, drive shaft and few random parts are now painted with POR 15 and looking pretty good.
rear subframe should be out for sand blasting and painting before weeks end and ready for the shell when it arrives in the next 2 weeks.
I have lots of little things that take way more time than you think they should to take care of along with cleaning to make room for the car. I can't tell you how much I want the car to get here just so I can get things off the ground and attached to something!

90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby Locker » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Today was the big day! The car is home!!!!!! The paint looks amazing! There is still a bit of work to do to clean up the engine bay but that is going to be left until the rest of the car is put back together.

Here are a few pics.

ImageImage
90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby Locker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Quick Update.

The car came home on Sunday and so the rebuild has officially begun. Its a slow process as almost all the work is done after my daughter goes to bed so I basically get a couple of hours here and there.
I decided the best place to start was laying out the wiring harnesses. I haven't tied them down as of yet as I want to make sure everything is laid out correctly as well as I know I'll need play in the dash harness to get everything in. One big reason to start with the harness was they took up a large amount of space in the garage and its something I'm quite short on.

I know this doesn't seem like major progress but its nice to know its moving in the right direction. From here I'm going to start at the back of the car and move forward. I'm hoping to have the hatch put together by the end of the weekend as well as a few other small items like the door trim etc.

90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby UtahSleeper » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Great work so far. Love seeing these things come back together.
80 Corolla Hatchback - Power (In Progress) http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3208
88 Alltrac - Snow (Waiting for the garage) http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43482

Cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/id/chris52580
UtahSleeper
Established Member

Postby Locker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:59 pm

So a big but boring night in the garage yesterday. My rear subframe, sway bars and hub's got back from sand blasting and did the 1st coat of POR15 on everything.
Also stage 1 of sound deadening happens on Wednesday. My body guy is coming by and we are going to seamseal the floor as well as in the rear quarter's behind the speakers
90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby athousandleaves » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 am

Is that the stock rear sway bar I spy?
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
1992 White turbo4WD
athousandleaves
Established Member

Postby Locker » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Yep sure is. Both front and rear are still stock.
90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby Locker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Its been a couple of months since I last updated this and progress has been slow! I basically didn't work on it the entire month of February but I'm back at and have made some decent progress as of late.

I've got all of the wiring harnesses run. everything under the dash has been installed as well as window's sunroof and the hatch.

The hatch proved to be a bit difficult to get done as I wanted both the rear wiper and the squirter shaved off. The guys ended up being able to remove the rear glass so they could fill the squirter and then making a customer moulding to seal it all up. I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results.

90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby Insanity-74 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:33 am

Locker wrote:Image

Is it my eyes playing tricks on me, or is that middle suspension arm bent?
Follow my GT4 rebuild on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/EONRacing/
Insanity-74
Club Member

Postby Locker » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:51 am

Unfortunately your right. I didn't notice it until after it was painted :(
90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby Locker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:34 pm

I terrible at keeping this updated.
I've been busy working on the rebuild and have just finished the tedious part of putting the interior back together. This took me a lot longer than I anticipated. Lots of wiring to get laid out. getting everything under the dash installed etc was quite time consuming until one evening boom. Everything just went in.
The seats and center console aren't bolted down as I still have to tighten the ebrake cable and install the lower dash cover on the drivers side and the glove box unit on the passenger. They will go on once I install the doors so I can finish wiring up the power folding mirrors.

here is a quick pictorial

90 ST185
Locker
Club Member

Postby Corey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:23 pm

Incredible project! I really like that colour.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to My Project