88 Alltrac - Restore

88gt4DE

Gently pull out on the axle like your using a slider hammer on them. Sometimes they will come out that way. You have have to move it around in quarter turns as you pulling outward to make it pop out ...

phattyduck

zaluss":2yr88gsx said:
I thought they popped out too but man they wouldn't budge. Maybe I'll give it more force.
You can use an extra clutch fork and a hammer to pop them out pretty quickly/easily... You need to find something thank can 'grab' the axle and put force on it directly outward from the transmission.

-Charlie

zaluss

Upon further examining the cylinder head for my 2nd gen 3SGTE I've seen several gouges along the cylinder head and marks along the cams. I'm not sure if the marks on the cams are normal though.

Cylinder head damage

88gt4DE

I'm not sure those spots are damage or just casting ... Planning on a machine shop check on it ?

Chuck.hudson

Ive got brand new hks cams in mine and if I remember correctly they have the same marks on them. I just assumed that they were some kind of tooling marks maybe from whatever held the cam while the lobes were being milled or whatever they do to them.

zaluss

Started to disassemble front suspension.

Steering rack removed. Dirty engine bay.

Pile o' suspension/steering

Broke whatever this was connected to the drivers side hub.

Started to clean all the dirt off. The engine bay is unusually pink.

Mmmm rusty brake booster.

88gt4DE

Broken ABS sensor ... deleted mine and pulled the fuse and bulb .... don't need that old crap system. Steering Rack looks wet on one side ...

zaluss

88gt4DE":2hamooj3 said:
Broken ABS sensor ... deleted mine and pulled the fuse and bulb .... don't need that old crap system. Steering Rack looks wet on one side ...

Ah well thats useless. The whole ABS system wasn't there anyway. The steering rack looks wet? It'll be replaced with a reman anyway.

88gt4DE

zaluss":1sb3z9u7 said:
88gt4DE":1sb3z9u7 said:

Ah well thats useless. The whole ABS system wasn't there anyway. The steering rack looks wet? It'll be replaced with a reman anyway.

The right side boot looks wet which means the seal on that side is prol seeping. Mine the boots were gone .. so I replaced them and then they filled up with fluid over time till I recently replaced it .... What parts of the ABS are missing ? The big actuator in the car ?

zaluss

88gt4DE":32u35yp7 said:
zaluss":32u35yp7 said:
88gt4DE":32u35yp7 said:

The right side boot looks wet which means the seal on that side is prol seeping. Mine the boots were gone .. so I replaced them and then they filled up with fluid over time till I recently replaced it .... What parts of the ABS are missing ? The big actuator in the car ?

The actuator and all the lines associated.

zaluss

So I didn't realize that the ABS unit itself was in the rear of the car unlike the FWD models. The ABS is complete and everything looks good except the broken ABS sensor which at this point I may want to find.

Removed a few more bits from the engine bay. Power steering lines, brake booster lines, intercooler pump, etc.

Removed the passenger fender and discovered the radiator support was welded on.

Interior cleaned up a bit, rotting carpet removed, dash removed.

Well kind of cleaned up. The rear passenger area/hatch still has a ton of leftover parts I need to sort through.

Oh and the top of the car storage.

88gt4DE

Whew ... yeah the ABS unit is in the back. I can't wait to dump that brick but a full re-line will be in order since I already have one patch in the lines due to access to that area. Those sensors in most cases ( mine too) wont come out of the knuckle so short of finding a new one. Used ones will most likely be useless ...

zaluss

Pulled the heater core out today. What a pain in the ass.

Mmmmm tasty.

Also got the dirty trans off the dirty 1st gen. Gotta throw it up on craigslist after I pull the wiring harness!

ktulu

I just removed my abs and ran all new lines with an adjustable p-valve. It was a giant pain, but way easier than running all the lines for the ABS