Pipedreams ST205, 5S-GTE BEAMS

gunt

IM USING AN ALTEZZA BLOCK FOR OUR FIRST ONE WITH THE 5S CRANK , HOPE IT HOLDS UP BUT IT WILL NEVER BE NEAR THE FIGURE YOUR TALKING , AR YOU CONSIDERING USING A LINER NEXT TIME ROUND

sleeper

Pipedreams":27gw1ojn said:
Found a crack in cyl 2 also :) In the same spot. So the next block will get a good block filler treatment.

So you are going for a filler and not new sleeves?
Maybe go for a small fill, and sleeves? should be bullet proof.

btw: do you have a dyno graph with some more info on it now? ( would be fun to see what data the chart you posted was based on, ( corrections,temps,gear ratio and so on.. )
Also: why didn`t you rev it past 7300rpm?

Pipedreams

I feel that it's to much money for sleeves. And they still break if a piston or rod goes. So I'd rather just get a new cheap block.
I haven't had time to look for more info on the dyno. I've been abroad for work the last two months.
They were a bit careful at the dyno and didn’t want to put to much strain on the engine with longer pulls and higher revs than that. It was reved to 7500 and I have the limiter at 8000.

abraxxa

Why did you go for the single-VVTi head instead of the Altezza Beams Dual-VVTi?
I'm running a Gen 4 3S-GTE with BC stroker and EFR7064 and like to make it spool better, currently 1.8bar @~4000rpm.
Love to know if a Altezza head would fit the 3S-GTE Gen 4 block from the Caldina ST215 (which had sleeves from the factory :shrug: ).

abraxxa

Hi Hic!
Any more infos?
I'd use a Haltech Elite 1500 to control it, so electronics shouldn't be a problem

abraxxa

That doesn't help me. What is needed to make it work? Mechanical incompatibilities? Water and oil passages?

sleeper

abraxxa":zf578oht said:
I'm running a Gen 4 3S-GTE with BC stroker and EFR7064 and like to make it spool better, currently 1.8bar @~4000rpm.
Love to know if a Altezza head would fit the 3S-GTE Gen 4 block from the Caldina ST215 (which had sleeves from the factory :shrug: ).

No 3s block had sleves...

Hic

Alex, just search mr2oc, guy tried with limited success. There is an engine mount that you need to rework, plus some extra stuff, I can't remember. Use the search.

fussellbug

This thread explains what is needed to make the Blacktop Beams head (RWD, upright motor) work on a Redtop Beams FWD, motor tilted). Aside from making the head ready for use with the motor tilted, there is still the issue of how the passages on the head would line up with the 4th Gen GTE block.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/93957-Adapting-Blacktop-head-to-Redtop-block

BTW: The guy who was working on this project decided it wasn't worth the extra money and effort to use the Blacktop head instead of the original head on his Redtop Beams. The gains for a turbo application may be slightly better than the redtop head, but there are probably easier/less expensive ways to reach the same goals.

abraxxa

sleeper":3im39bqq said:
abraxxa":3im39bqq said:

No 3s block had sleves...

I know, but my Gen 4 has sleeves. I doubt that the previous Caldina owner had installed them so they must be OEM. My guess is Toyota used some weak Gen 3 blocks and installed sleeves instead of throwing them away. :shrug:

@Pipedreams: awesome! Did you fix the engine? New block?