What to do with my car. Ideas?

toybota

Okay here we go.

I was looking at buying an Alltrac but they always seemed out of my price range(9500+ CAD) So i began looking at MK3 Supra's (4000 CAD) and one day I searched, in vain, for AllTracs again and voila! A 1000 Dollar LHD Turbo 4WD that was a 20 minute drive away. So I went to look at the car and it was in rough shape. Rust everywhere and it didn't start, but it cranked and caught on ether. So long story short I bought it.

I got it home tossed it in the garage. So I started tearing the car down to fix the rust. Shortly after tear down began I contacted a family friend who used to build formula ford cars back in the 90's and now he is helping me.

But this is my dilemma. :shrug: Do I restore it to stock or do I build it fully with a custom cage and everything(mudflaps of course).

I would be doing everything myself and money is not an issue.

Opinions, thoughts?

underscore

It depends on what you want to do with it. Bear in mind that a full cage is dangerous and in most places illegal on the street, so if you have any plans of daily driving this car I'd scratch that idea off the list.

toybota

I was reading about the legality of cages in Ontario and they are only illegal if they obscure the windshield or driver and passenger windows. When you say they are dangerous I assume you are referring to hitting your head on a tube in an accident? If I did cage it I would 100% run DOT approved harnesses and buck seats, so assuming the seat doesn't detach from the floor I'd be okay. But I know what you mean. So what do you think if it is legal and done safely?

underscore

Do they even make DOT harnesses? What are your plans for the car? Will it be raced at all? If so you'll need to look into what requirements the governing body for said racing has, and see if things like a cage would affect the class you end up in. If it isn't going to be raced at all IMO cage/seats/harnesses are a big waste of money.

toybota

My goal is to make this a track day car that I use for everything except commuting to work. That's why I would like to go the cage route for added safety. And the back seats in the Celicas are pretty well useless so having a bare floor would serve for holding things just as fine

TheNubkins

I vote in favor of restoring it to stock with MINOR upgrades like exhaust, wheels, suspension and handling tidbits. Make it purrdy!!!