88 165 Project "Racetrac" had to sell and now dead :(

Talk about your project car here

Re: 88 165 Project "Racetrac" Body done, starting the fun pa

Postby TRDTurko » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:15 am

Time to update. I obviously missed the school since the car is still on jack stands in my shop but I am getting ahead of myself.

Brake and fuel lines re-plumbed. fuel filter is now attached instead of floating where there was supposed to be a bracket. front brake lines are t'd off and rear line goes through a aftermarket proportioning valve. I may run the line right to the valve and do away with the stock fittings altogether in the future since the valve takes the larger line size with adapters. I will probably move the front t higher as well to make it more accessible. I still have to take pics of the under side and rear of the car. Most of the lines now run down the middle instead of over to the side skirt for some dumb reason. I left the fuel return and vent lines stock since the were the only two in good shape. At the back of the car I was not able to get the abs brick out yet since the bolts holding it in are directly above the rear crossmember and covered in under coating. So I simply bypassed the brick and t'd off the lines to the rear calipers. I'll let you know how this system works.

Step 6: engine re-install and goodies!
With that taken care of and power steering lines and pump in the car after being absent for a few years, the engine went back in. I did not open up the engine to put in new oil and water pumps ect because of time constraints and doubt they need to be done at this point anyway. So just new plugs and the 160 degree trd thermostat atm. Didn't take any pics since its just reverse of coming out. Anyway, got a stock 185 turbo, manifold and custom back half 2.5" exhaust from a local guy for $300 which I thought was a screaming deal. So I popped the new pan and turbo on and installed the stainless oil and coolant lines and a turbo blanket.
and also wrapped my ebay dp and installed that
after that I poped on my intake pipe and tried to figure out how to plumb in the 205 intercooler since it sits about 1" to the right on a 185. ended up cutting off the turbo pipe.
Ended up in two sections for both the turbo pipe and the bpv and looks like crap but I'm pretty sure I am going to a front mount next season anyway so just has to function for now.
You can also see in this pick that I had to reroute the clutch line because it was leaking at the stock fitting behind the engine. Stupidly I rushed putting the engine in before testing the brake lines because of time and I had a buddy helping for the specific reason of putting the engine in. Because of the location I had to use a long screw driver and a hammer to break the hard line and chisel open the fitting to get it out and move the hard line over to under the brake cylinder where it is much more accessible. And of course the brake lines leaked at the stock fitting as well as the proportioning valve because I used the wrong fittings so I had to put some adapters into the valve and kinda pull the front t from behind the engine to tighten that. I thought I had it all done but there was still a leak somewhere and I found bubbles coming from the bottom of the cylinder where it meets the booster. turned out the bottom bolt was stripped and two attempts to re-thread the bolt coming out of the booster failed becuase the material was too weak. so I ended up grinding off the bolt and putting a self taping screw in to create a good seal. :bangshead: All the leaks probably cost me 10 hours to resolve when taking half an hour to test before putting the engine in would have saved so much headache and time. #lessonlearned lol

ok back to the fun stuff. Installed a nice overflow can for the rad. which of course leaked out of the sight tube when I put coolant in. quickly fixed by pushing the tube in properly.

oil catch can with breather

and manual boost controler.

threw in the alternator, put a thermal sock on the oil filter and made a heat shield from header wrap and heat tape then added the rest of the fluids. Just need to install exhaust and she is ready to fire up.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
88 Celica GTS - RIP
87 Corolla - RIP(sold for parts)
93 Honda Civic - RIP
88 Celica AWD Turbo - Current Project "Racetrac"
85 Honda Civic - Sold
91 Honda Civic - Sold to ice racer
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
88 Celica Alltrac - RIP(sold then writen off)
TRDTurko
Club Member

Postby TRDTurko » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:50 pm

ok exhaust is in so here are the promised pics of the underside
I goofed a bit bending the rear section of fuel line so I just connected it with a piece of rubber line to get the car running until I make a new hard line later. The shiny new flange is where my old 2.5" exhaust from my black car meets the "new" 2.5" I got with the turbo. His front section still had a stock bend in it so I used mine. my old rear section looked like a high school shop project with am actual 90 angle weld in it instead of a bend.
Next year the 3" is going back on and this exhaust is going back onto my black car so it will get a proper flange welded on and the cannon style muffler will get replaced with my old dual tip which I like the look and sound of much better.

here you can see where the old and new lines diverge
Its hard to see in this pic but the cat is very close to the drive shaft and might actually be rubbing a bit. I didn't have that issue in the other car so maybe its the placement of the dp on the 2nd gen engine that is causing the clearance issues. The 3" flex pipe was rubbing on the u joint so I will have to address that at some point.

I finally got my clear cam cover in so I installed that and I changed the header heat shield because the tape I used couldn't handle the heat and started melting after the running the car for a few minutes.

and I installed a few gauges into the pillar pod I have had sitting around for ever. the car used to have one but did not come with the car when I bought it so it was lucky I bought one for my other car years ago. Top one is wide band. I have a egt for the middle hole but forgot to drill and tap the manifold before putting it on the engine so I will install that on next years set up.
88 Celica GTS - RIP
93 Honda Civic - RIP
85 Honda Civic - Sold
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
TRDTurko
Club Member

Postby TRDTurko » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 pm

break issues urrrggh! At this point the car should be drivable but of course my new braking system has issues. :bangshead:
Almost everything on the car is new except for the booster and the rear calipers which I took off my other car that was sitting for years but were not causing issues when the car was parked.
I found 3 more leaks and fixed those and the brakes seemed to bleed fine with all the air finally seeming to be out of the system and no more leaks that I can see but the pedal is still spongy and you only get pressure if you pump but then it goes away again right away. the seal between the master cylinder and the booster was still leaking so I put more gasket maker on that and it seems to be sealed. I can't hear the tell tale hiss anymore after the engine is shut off anyway. While I was waiting for that to dry I set the ride height so that there is about an inch gap above the tires and set the toe using the string method.
So the only thing I can think to try now is different rear calipers and see if those are causing the problem unless there is a leak I have not found yet.

Any other suggestions?
88 Celica GTS - RIP
93 Honda Civic - RIP
85 Honda Civic - Sold
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
TRDTurko
Club Member

Re: 88 165 Project "Racetrac" Running! but with break issues

Postby TRDTurko » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:39 pm

I know I have been gone a long time but finally back for an update!

first off, brakes... I figured out my issue was fairly simple and kind of a dumb mistake. I finally realized that the bleeders for the front calipers were facing downward and I had them on the the opposite side they should be on. Once I got them switched left and right and the bleeders facing up, they bleed fine and now the brakes work great.

Once I figured that out I started on the body again, put the front end back together and started making wide body front fenders to fit over my 17x9s.

the car now sits like this

I tried going for a drive with my sports car club last fall and didn't even make it to the meet up spot before steam started coming from the hood. Of course it was the HFH. Can't believe I forgot to change that while the engine was out. That stupid stock oil cooler is getting replaced by a rad style cooler next year so I can eliminate that damn hose.

I took it to a AutoX test and tune at the beginning of summer and found some issues that need to be addressed. Biggest was I had damaged the wiring to the fans when I took the rad out to fix the hfh. Next was a big dead spot in the steering that made going through slaloms interesting as the wheel would kind of jerk in quick direction changes as you turned it through center. I know the tie rods and ball joints were not in great shape so I ordered some new ones and hopefully that will help. If I still don't like the steering after I might have to upgrade to a more modern rack. Also I have at least one rear wheel bearing that needs to be replaced and I ordered two of those with seals. Lastly I have concluded my front coil overs are in major need of some helper springs as any small bump makes a loud crashing sound from the front suspension. I measured how much slack there was in the springs at full droop and there is a full two inches that the spring can move when the suspension is unloaded. So I ordered some 250lb Swift assist springs to compliment my 550lb front springs. I am hoping that they will help soften the ride on the street a bit and should be completely compressed during hard cornering so that the main springs will be working. Hopefully the inch of adjustment I have left on my front perches will be enough so that I will not have to lower the perch with the extra 2 inches of spring. But that should be mostly compressed so I think it will be ok. I will take pics when I install all this.
88 Celica GTS - RIP
93 Honda Civic - RIP
85 Honda Civic - Sold
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
TRDTurko
Club Member

Re: 88 165 Project "Racetrac" almost ready for the track!

Postby TRDTurko » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:36 pm

VERY sad update!

So in order for my wife and I to buy a house I needed to sell the car. So I sold it to my buddy Quentin after taking off as many of my race parts as possible in the short time that we had. Sadly only a couple months later the car was hit while it was sitting on the side of the highway.

:cry:
88 Celica GTS - RIP
93 Honda Civic - RIP
85 Honda Civic - Sold
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
TRDTurko
Club Member

Re: 88 165 Project "Racetrac" had to sell and now dead :(

Postby quieter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:17 pm

NOOOOOOOOO
1990 toyota ST185 with st205 goodies (scrapped)
2011 BMW 535xi M pack (daily)

-Simon
quieter
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 pm

That sucks.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby ReDRuM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:53 am

OMG! I'm actually tearing up. What a journey and such a sad ending.
Im just slowly building up me 88 Alltrac. Just sorting out basic suspension ... KYB AGX ... You did an amzing job . Certainly a labour of love
ReDRuM
Club Member

Postby TRDTurko » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:58 pm

luckily I have another shell which I will be starting to work on this winter and it will get pretty much every speed part this car had and then some.
88 Celica GTS - RIP
93 Honda Civic - RIP
85 Honda Civic - Sold
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
TRDTurko
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:01 am

How did you like those NS wheels? I almost picked up a couple as spares. They looked pretty close to the 050. I was wondering the weight on them.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby TRDTurko » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:36 am

CMS-GT4 wrote:How did you like those NS wheels? I almost picked up a couple as spares. They looked pretty close to the 050. I was wondering the weight on them.

I mainly got them because they were the only wheels in the style I wanted in the size and offset I needed that you didn't have to sell your left nut to buy. they have way more room to the calipers than I need because the spokes are curved and they could pretty much be dead straight. I think they were a bit heavier when I weighed them than the sales rep quoted me. I got something like 21lbs a piece so I wish they were lighter but that's why they don't cost so much. Otherwise they work for me but I think I will eventually get a set of 16 in race wheels made. sucks that the 165 needs such a low offset to clear the rear struts. a 10 in wheel would have to be a 0 :twisted:
88 Celica GTS - RIP
93 Honda Civic - RIP
85 Honda Civic - Sold
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
TRDTurko
Club Member

Postby 88gt4DE » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:30 pm

OMG ... this is terrible ... all that body work ...
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby TRDTurko » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:51 pm

88gt4DE wrote:OMG ... this is terrible ... all that body work ...

you nailed my thoughts exactly when I heard.
88 Celica GTS - RIP
93 Honda Civic - RIP
85 Honda Civic - Sold
08 Mazda 3 - Daily
TRDTurko
Club Member

Postby gearhead313 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:37 pm

Wow, feeling nostalgic and come to find this. Sorry to hear that man.
ST165 counter:
#2597 - fail
#3193 - fail
#xxxx - sold
#4598 - sold to Canada eh
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/gearhead313/turbosticker.jpg[/img]
gearhead313
Established Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Previous

Return to My Project