1991 AllTrac Camry - Beater Turned Project

91SV25

Hi everyone! As I mentioned in my intro thread, I am from Toyota nation and had a running project thread there:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/102-1 ... owner.html

Short summary:
-My 93 Corolla died, so I wanted a new toy/beater. Had no luck finding a 7th gen, a 6th gen AllTrac Corolla in a local yard was too far gone to save, and all the Accords and Civics in my area were some combination of over priced, poorly modified, or abused. Fluked my way into this car at a local shop

-Go to buy it, car barely runs but looks alright. Should have run away but guy promised to get it running. He does with a new battery and dizzy cap. $1200 later it's mine.

348qdrn.jpg

- Drive it for a bit. A few minor flaws but overall not bad. Then I start noticing various leaks in the driveway... after a month it's leaking AT fluid, engine oil, and rear differential oil

-Had a couple minor little issues mechanically, so I take it to my mechanic for a full inspection. It's a basket case. Rear differential has a leaking axle seal, sub frame is badly rusted at the mounting points, and they couldn't even get the drain plug out. Brake lines are trashed, struts are leaking, exhaust is leaking, tires are dry rotted out, but hey at least it runs decent :| In the meantime, beginning to fix rust and replace damaged parts while I save funds.

11t94w9.jpg

-A few thousand dollars later and against my better judgement, I get all the mechanicals fixed and splurged a bit for some extras. Note my rear end wasn't on this yet when this picture was taken, about midway through the process.

99e90p.jpg

-Now that it is in good running order, the rust is more or less repaired, and I have equipment left over from my last car, I plastidipped it! (image too big to post here, check my profile)

So that is how it sits! Thus far, on the mod list, I had the rear end replaced with one from an ST205 complete with LSD and wide track, put ST185 struts in place of the unattainable SV25 rears, had the worn out/damaged two way catalytic converter system replaced with a single high flow three way, and while I was at it had the manifold replaced with one off eBay, removed the factory resonator box on the air intake, and had newer, wider 15" wheels fitted. Other non performance stuff put on includes KYB front struts, handful of new sensors and other misc emissions parts on the engine, and a Kenwood/JL Audio sound system.

It only has a few outstanding issues now: Front main/oil pump seal is probably leaking, AC is giving me fits, and I need one or two minor cosmetic parts in the interior, which is actually pretty nice. Future plans include a possible Phantom electric super charger if I determine the A/T can take it, and I'd like to get the upholstery/vinyl in the interior refinished/redyed at some point, along with adding a sub to the trunk.

So while this build is kinda sorta finished for now, I thought I'd throw a build thread here and get some feedback on the car. Go ahead, tell it's cool, I'm stupid for pouring that money in it, whatever haha

91SV25

underscore":3ghrk54o said:
Looks cool! You had me until you mentioned an electric supercharger though.
The Phantom is quite interesting, unlike the hair driers used in a lot of scams that build no pressure and lack the speed to do it. It takes a centrifugal supercharger and mounts a very high powered, high speed motor on it that runs on a dedicated 24 volt battery system. It good for about 4psi for 30 seconds at WOT, at which point the system needs to recharge. It's more like an electric nitrous shot that is used on demand than a true super charger, which runs all the time. It works best with OBDI systems, but I am unsure if the internals of the 3SFE can take even that little boost for that short of a time, and if the transmission could handle the extra torque. The dyno charts and stories I've seen are quite interesting, but I think it's best for older cars and used with the system limitations in mind. And for the cost I could do a swap, but I'd hate to pull a perfectly good engine.

phattyduck

The 3s-fe can take plenty of boost just fine (I ran 7psi for a long time). The Camry Alltrac auto trans is basically the V6 transmission, not the 4-cylinder trans, so you are good there too.

But yeah, no electric superchargers. Go for a 3s-gte exhaust/turbo setup and you'll be much happier. Keep the boost at 7psi (factory wastegate).

-Charlie

91SV25

phattyduck":z17gvc6v said:
The 3s-fe can take plenty of boost just fine (I ran 7psi for a long time). The Camry Alltrac auto trans is basically the V6 transmission, not the 4-cylinder trans, so you are good there too.

But yeah, no electric superchargers. Go for a 3s-gte exhaust/turbo setup and you'll be much happier. Keep the boost at 7psi (factory wastegate).

-Charlie
The one thing about that is I could probably do it for as much as a Phantom ($1500~), though it'd suck for me to ditch my header I had put on in a year. It's not any time soon though... right now the car is driving awesome. Took it on some local roads that are all dirt/gravel and it is a joy to drive. Much heavier than my old Corolla but the steering is so much more responsive than the EPS in my 2012, as is the suspension (and the latter isn't a knock on the SE). Right now it's loaned to my brother in exchange for his truck to haul stuff, but when I get it back I'll be painting the brake calipers black, performing an all new under coating job, and pinpointing an obnoxious bottom end oil leak (still leaning towards front main) with some UV dye.