Stock St165, where would you start?

Talk about your project car here

Re: Stock St165, where would you start?

Postby 88gt4DE » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:19 pm

Just don't depend on it as a daily ... I know there is people that do but its alot easier to say oh well its messed up today and jump in yer daily and get to it whenever. Parts are a huge problem also these days and in half the cases discontinued so you have to put repair plans together. But like my brother said (97JZA80 ) when it runs , its alot of fun ...
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby ChrisD » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:23 pm

To be honest, the advice from every single person in this thread is really good and sound. Everyone wants the best for each person here. You'll find the community around these cars is rather great.

Here's my perspective, I have the ST165 pictured above - which although was commented on looking stock outside (which I love!), also is capable of 11's - mind you I haven't been to the 1/4 mile in ages as there isn't one very close. I also have my ST205, which I do daily drive and have for the past 6 years. It's great too.

I divide them out into one being the project - the 165, and my daily driver. For me that works, and helps me not be frustrated when something breaks on the 165. It's a project, right! It also means the goals for my ST205 are very different. With that, I'm happy with something nice and quick, but try to keep it reliable. So for that, I'm using its stock gen 3 engine and not much more than an exhaust, boost controller, and suspension upgrades. And it's a blast to drive. The stock ct20b turbo is very responsive and perfect for around the city. It will probably do mid 13's. Maybe low. Not sure really. But the main focus is keeping up with maintenance the best I can. It's my daily, so I try to keep it in good working order. It's got a great base, the fundamentals are kept in good order. In the 5 years, really the big items were suspension, and a clutch I had to replace. The clutch job is a great example that if you can do it yourself, will save potentially hundreds and even into the thousands and can be done in a weekend if you're well equipped. But overall, that car has been incredibly reliable and is a blast to drive. I've put 50,000kms on it in 6 years.

The 165 I have more freedom with. I try to time it so that I can drive it in the summer, and do the work on it in the winter, but the car doesn't always cooperate. I will say that when you start to make more and more power, you have to expect things to break sometimes. But the plus is, you'll learn a lot through the process, and I actually love the problem solving and creative process anyway. I've just started building a new engine for it as well as the previous one has had a failure that perhaps I could have avoided had I thought really carefully about my goals, and also took my time. The last one I took a block that wasn't quite optimal, but did so because I was crunched for time trying to build in time for an event. This car I've driven 50,000kms in 14 years.

So that's what people say when they say take your time with things and plan out your goals. Then you can start taking steps, one at a time, towards achieving them. It's a fun process anyway! I've got 2 cars with 2 different goals, so I plan things out quite differently with them. I love it. :)
1988 ST165
1994 ST205 WRC
ChrisD
Established Member

Postby BlackDragon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:57 am

I wound up ordering a focus RS, so now I'm on the fence as to what to do. Sell it or build it. When the focus arrives I'll have 3 cars with only room for two. So it's either build the mustang or build the alltrac.
BlackDragon
Club Member

Postby ChrisD » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:34 pm

Perhaps conduct a poll here and let the community decide which one to keep. I'm pretty sure the results would be fair and unbiased. :D
1988 ST165
1994 ST205 WRC
ChrisD
Established Member

Previous

Return to My Project