Stock St165, where would you start?

Talk about your project car here

Re: Stock St165, where would you start?

Postby BlackDragon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:40 pm

I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.

The car is currently being shipped, so I was hoping to have the wheels on the ground when she got here. :(
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
BlackDragon
Club Member

Postby BlackDragon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:41 pm

Finally got it, just started digging in
Attachments
image.jpg
BlackDragon
Club Member

Postby BlackDragon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Interior is real nice all considering. Steering wheel needs a rewrap, shifter knob is from autozone, the radio is terrible and the wiring behind it is even worse. Other than that, it's golden.
Attachments
image.jpg
BlackDragon
Club Member

Postby ChrisD » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:44 am

Hey, there's my car. ;) How's progress going?
1988 ST165
1994 ST205 WRC
ChrisD
Established Member

Postby GT4times2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:02 am

Looks good. Take it a step at a time. Make sure all maintenance is done first, before modding. Check for brittle harness and electrical issues, then go for BPUs (intake, exhaust, DP, MBC).

11s? Hmm. Totally do-able. Just put your plans on paper. Speak to those that are there now, or have been there. Saves lots of headaches and money. If you have DSM buddies, you can ask them about their mods (They have endless resources and are budget minded racers overall). The DSMs cars are not as stout as Alltracs (driveline issues, crank walk issues), but you have endless DMSs (1st and 2nd Gens) in the 11s and 10s.

Most importantly, have a daily driver. All Tracs, once they become projects spend time in the garage. Unless you live in a city like NYC, you'll need another car to take you to work. Experience talking.... Ask to see how many All Trac owners have another car on this forum. Most (if not all) do.
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE (The Daily Pacifier)
05 Toyota Avalon XLS
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member

Postby BlackDragon » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:20 pm

I've parked the car and left it for a bit. It has a lot of issues and every time I fix something, something else pops. It's been more than a little frustrating, so I'm taking a break from it.
BlackDragon
Club Member

Postby GT4times2 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:45 am

BlackDragon wrote:I've parked the car and left it for a bit. It has a lot of issues and every time I fix something, something else pops. It's been more than a little frustrating, so I'm taking a break from it.

Already? Too early to feel overwhelmed. Put your plans on paper, and do your research. Lots of people start off with big plans for All Tracs only to see them in the Marketplace section (on the forum) or Craigslist months down the line. Take it easy, save for quality parts, and labor for your work (if you don't feel confident doing the work yourself) and take your time.

1. Make sure you have a great running engine (If not, get the parts for a proper build up)
2. Make sure you pick the right turbo, EMS, fuel set up for you goals.
3. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and share what you learn along the way.
4. I've learned not to care to do everything myself (Save time and headaches). Pay the best when you want the best (engine building/Wiring/Welding work etc). If you're great at everything, by all means DIY.

OR at this point, get a 3rd or 4th Gen 3SGTE and do a BPU set up on it, and call it a day. Lower mileage motors, modern, cleaner wiring (big plus for me), and decent aftermarket parts for both generations.

Better to build a running, (powerful enough) All Trac (320-350whp) that may run back to back low 13s- high 12s all day, and being able to drive them often, than having a fast car you can barely enjoy most of the time. (Terrible lag, always breaking down and the list can go on). I'm past that with 2 out of 3 All Tracs. :D

If I haven't lost my mind with these cars (9 Alltracs, in 15 years), I think you'll be ok.

Best of Luck!! :)
Frantz
05 Toyota Avalon XLS
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
GT4times2
Established Member

Postby 97JZA80 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 am

BlackDragon wrote:I've parked the car and left it for a bit. It has a lot of issues and every time I fix something, something else pops. It's been more than a little frustrating, so I'm taking a break from it.

I do this annually. Try not to get frustrated its fun when it runs.
Mike

88 Alltrac-Light Duty
92 Pickup-Hauling Duty
97 Supra-Dust Collection Testing Device
98 GS400-Wifey
07 GX470-Daily
97JZA80
Club Member

Postby 88st165 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Ah the trials and tribulations of owning these rare machines. I agree like the others have said, the ones who really love these cars stick it out for some reason. Imagine owning multiple cars. To give you an idea I have owned my white 165 for 5yrs and driven it a total of 3 months. I have owned my red 165 for 10yrs and driven it a total of a little over 10k miles. Most of these cars are parked more than they are driven and the ones who get to daily drive theirs I am jealous of haha. Keep up the good work, there is nothing wrong with taking a break. 8)
Red st165 - Garage Queen turned wannabe track rat
White st165 - slapping back together and hoping for the best
Black st165 - gone
2011 FA5 - Family Truckster
88st165
Established Member

Postby Awesome-Trac » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:32 pm

Lol Alltracs require pretty much 100% of your attention, I've owned mine for about three years now and every month it's something new! Doesn't stop me from loving it even tho it's a pain in the ass
-1988 Celica Alltrac (white) Sold
-1988 Celica Alltrac (black) new project
-1990 Corolla sedan (sky blue) totalled by my brother :(
-1990 Celica GT-S hatchback (sky blue) daily driver

•Daniel
Awesome-Trac
Established Member

Postby ___Scott___ » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:56 pm

There is a lot of negativity on these cars in this thread. It is possible to have an All-Trac as a daily driver. I've driven one "daily" since I bought my first one in '96. Like any other car, things can happen to knock it off the road for a bit but as long as you keep the maintenance up and don't beat on them I've found them to be pretty reliable transportation.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby Awesome-Trac » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:19 am

___Scott___ wrote:There is a lot of negativity on these cars in this thread. It is possible to have an All-Trac as a daily driver. I've driven one "daily" since I bought my first one in '96. Like any other car, things can happen to knock it off the road for a bit but as long as you keep the maintenance up and don't beat on them I've found them to be pretty reliable transportation.

I daily mine everyday Since I bought it. I even drove it with 3rd and 4th gear out! That's how much I love it as a daily lol
-1988 Celica Alltrac (white) Sold
-1988 Celica Alltrac (black) new project
-1990 Corolla sedan (sky blue) totalled by my brother :(
-1990 Celica GT-S hatchback (sky blue) daily driver

•Daniel
Awesome-Trac
Established Member

Postby GT4times2 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:39 am

___Scott___ wrote:There is a lot of negativity on these cars in this thread. It is possible to have an All-Trac as a daily driver. I've driven one "daily" since I bought my first one in '96. Like any other car, things can happen to knock it off the road for a bit but as long as you keep the maintenance up and don't beat on them I've found them to be pretty reliable transportation.

I wouldn't consider what we're saying negativity. They're 20+ year old turbo cars. Most of the time, they end up being projects. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but the numbers don't lie. No one is saying they're not reliable. They're old cars that need TLC, and most people that buy them, do so to enjoy them as second cars/projects. Many are/were neglected and require plenty of attention. If we were to survey most owners on this forum, a good percentage would tell us their cars are not driven daily. Many are going thru a restoration process, or engine swap/rebuild/upgrades etc. Just saying.
Frantz
05 Toyota Avalon XLS
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
GT4times2
Established Member

Postby underscore » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:28 am

If you buy one that was well maintained and isn't significantly modified I don't see why it couldn't be driven every day. But if you buy one that has been neglected, as most older turbo cars are, you have to either catch up on the maintenance up front or be prepared for it to be a bit less reliable than a more typical car.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby ___Scott___ » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:28 pm

I should say that I'm not disagreeing with any of the advice given, just trying to balance the discussion a little.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project