Q's 88 st165 Daily driver

91Atrac

Hey everyone, new member as 91atrac, old member as celigts

Bought the car fully race ready but the seller wanted to keep his rare parts. So we have so far swapped out the front suspension setup as he had custom ground control on camber/caster pillow mounts.

Next is rear suspension and rear sway bar. Then she's done for my ownership.

At this point tho we have a charge or idle problem.

Parts list:
-Gen2 3sgte engine with gen1 Water to air intercooler
-Catch can
-Smaller coolant overflow reservoir
-2.5" down pipe to 2.5" full exhaust with Apex'i N1 muffler
-Upgraded front swaybar with poly mounts
-Poly rear swaybar bushings
-Nylon rear subframe bushing kit with poly diff mount

zaluss

91Atrac":1uw1b4dn said:

Bought the car fully race ready but the seller wanted to keep his rare parts. So we have so far swapped out the front suspension setup as he had custom ground control on camber/caster pillow mounts.

Damn! Want to put me in touch with that seller so I can buy those parts? :D

91Atrac

zaluss":12etivav said:
91Atrac":12etivav said:

Damn! Want to put me in touch with that seller so I can buy those parts? :D

Haha! He won't sell for sure! Like he's keeping the rear white line adjustable sway bar, front white line swaybar with poly mounts, rear strut tower bar, mr2 twin entry turbo, ground control suspension.

91Atrac

Great progress so far. Fixed the alternator charging issue. Turned out to be the alt fuse being obliterated in it's harness.

On a new note tho, my rad fan is weak sauce and having trouble keeping the engine cool. I've wrapped the down pipe which has helped out a lot but the fan is just so weak I wanna cry haha! Going to be ordering one asap tho.

91Atrac

Update.
Front wheel bearings are replaced, rear caliper problem fixed, boost issue still the same and over boosting to 14psi between 4-6k rpm.

Also found the part I'll be in need to replace. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439689978.087018.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1439690001.974707.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1439690022.947264.jpg

91Atrac

Update.
Front wheel bearings are replaced, rear caliper problem fixed, boost issue still the same and over boosting to 14psi between 4-6k rpm.

Also found the part I'll be in need to replace on the driveshaft

mkernz22

I've heard that whiteline front swaybar is super rare!
I'm just happy I have a rear one for mine though :)
Good progress so far!

91Atrac

Well the car has overheating issues atm so managed to find a new daily driver for now until it gets resolved. I have ordered two mishimoto slim electric fans for the rad. If that doesn't work then I'll also be replacing the thermostat and rad cap. I will also be cleaning my heater core to see if that helps.

Fingers crossed it's something along those lines

Awesome-Trac

91Atrac":6vfqnt2a said:
Well the car has overheating issues atm so managed to find a new daily driver for now until it gets resolved. I have ordered two mishimoto slim electric fans for the rad. If that doesn't work then I'll also be replacing the thermostat and rad cap. I will also be cleaning my heater core to see if that helps.

I'm having the same issues so I just replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump but ended up being the fans

warracer

91Atrac":230ggvxo said:

Air in the system? T-Stat should help, but my guess is on the Water-Pump...

91Atrac

K so installed the new fans to the stock switch and it didn't engage so I'm thinking the fuse/relay is toast. Anyone know how to test and see if it's the fuse? And where do I check the engine code.... I completely forget how and where to find which code it is.

underscore

For the fan just check under the cover and see which fuse is for the fan, same deal for the relay. When hooking up aftermarket fans make sure they're wired correctly so they aren't blowing the wrong way.

underscore

Make sure it's burped correctly, pull the thermostat out temporarily and replace the rad cap are the cheap/easy things I'd check first.