Twin Turbo V6 1993 Alltrac Project

fhalperformance

Decided to keep my 93 instead of selling it as I have different tastes then the people who were interested in buying it. I still have some parts to collect to make it work but for now I figured Id get started.

Have:
1 x spare complete ST185 to fab swap in before taking 205 swap out of 93
2 x Borg Warner S366 turbos (wasn't planning on using them but came across a deal I couldn't resist)
2 x Nascar dash 5vz TRD build cylinder heads with TRD cams (never released to public)
1 x Brand new 5vz OEM block (2 spare complete running 5vz's for parts if needed)
1 x used steering rack for a conversion im working on (awaiting engine removal to test fit)
2 x cometic MLS head gaskets (came with cylinder heads)
1 x new factory water pump (this may need attention although it came with cylinder heads so it should be fine)
1 x Motec Standalone with Ignition Expander & wide band
4 x 18 x 9.75 inch rims

Need:
+ Custom Pistons (Arias made the sea2sky ones and still have the information on file)
+ Connecting rods (ICE has some available but Im going where people don't usually go)
+ Custom flywheel/Twin-Disc Clutch (clutchmasters says they can make me something but wont give me any more details via the internet. I have a 9.5lb chromoly one piece v6 flywheel I can use if it will work)
+ Individual Throttle Bodies with custom plenum (
+ Intercooler setup (haven't finalized the direction on this yet prob will be ATA)
+ 275 tires x 4 for new rims with body work to make them fit
+ Sell Tacoma to finish funding build lol

CMS-GT4

After seeing the new evora I have also considered the base v6 they used as something in the future for my project.

fhalperformance

For my lofty horsepower goals there is really only one Toyota option: the 3.4L 5VZ. The 2GR in the lotus is a good option but it wont work for my goals. I prefer the 2GR for NA given its construction and the variable cam timing complexities.

Now before anyone starts dismissing the motor with the regurgitated misinformation on the internet here are a couple of things:
1) dominated the NASCAR dash series that in NA carbureted form made almost 400hp.
2) had commercially available 1000 horsepower twin turbo built motors available until about 5 years ago when the company who made them closed their doors.
3) can and has been revved past 9000 rpm reliably by factory backed teams under racing conditions.
4) only Toyota V6 that I know of that has been built by TRD for a racing. May have been used in off road truck racing but I never really looked into that.

MWP

I cant understand why anyone would do an engine swap like this with a iron block.
Lead tipped arrow much? :doh:
Turbos arent light either, and you are using two of them.

There are plenty of good alloy block options.
If i were doing this (it might be my next engine build when the 5SGTE is dead), a 3MZ with a big single over the gearbox would be my plan.
The 2GR would be the best choice, but as said, its rather complex and would make for quite an expensive build.

fhalperformance

The goal is 2500 lbs with more hp then an aluminum block Toyota has ever made. The 5vz isn't that much heavier I have an industrial scale and have weighed it at 396 completely factory with all accessories harness and computer. as it sits I'll be closing in on 2700 lbs this next round of weight reduction.

I have an rc trans, st205, st185 rebuilt, and a st185 untouched trans haven't decided which to use yet. The rc trans will be coming apart for internal upgrades either way for one of the tracs.

MWP

So what are you going to do with this car?
Track/circuit, autocross, 1/4 mile, dyno queen, etc?

The "more hp then an aluminum block Toyota has ever made" is a pretty silly statement to make :roll:
Are you really aiming at 1200HP+? Unless you are you wont beat the alloy block goal.
If you are looking at that much power... good luck finding a gearbox to cope with it.

fhalperformance

I race circuit track with it Watkins glen mostly right now. I wouldn't have gotten two 78 lb/min turbos if I was going for 3 digit numbers. Granted I didn't select them as my turbo of choice just happened to get a crazy deal. Ill will need different turbos to get to the numbers I want because that 78 lb/min requires boost pressure higher then I was planning on running.

Aluminum just adds complexity and durability issues. Theres a reason why good 2GR's are so expensive and 2GR's that have been overheated are so cheap: they aren't fixable without special repair gaskets that aren't advertised like you think they would be. Id rather have something tougher that I wont have to worry about head bolt threads pulling out of the block (common aluminum block problems) for almost no extra weight. Plus it has a lot more aftermarket support and shared parts with other motors in the same family that can make for some fun combinations.

Transmission is the least of my concerns at the moment but I do have a backup plan I know will work although its fabrication heavy. I will have to see how it holds up and go from there. The motor was originally going to go in my mr2 but space/intercooler/twice as much horsepower through each wheel just kind of seems like it would be more fun/reliable in the alltrac.

-2gr - 359 lbs (mr2oc.com-383 lb service weight)
-5vz - 399 (weighed myself) complete with oil & factory flywheel. Will weigh it when I finish dropped unnecessary weight off the motor & finish intake manifold
-3sgte - 421 lbs (mr2oc.com-without)

s366 turbo - 24 lbs

fhalperformance

test fitting the motor to the transmission hopefully tomorrow. I gota pull the rest of the motor out of the mock up chassis so I can mess with the steering rack conversion idea see if that is going to work. I am hoping to make some progress on the car here next weekend depending on whether or not I pull the v6 out of my mr2 to use as its setup for a factory computer and can make this thing run and drive for now.

fhalperformance

Manual steering with a quicker ratio rack hopefully. If it works I'll get a decent drop in weight and complexity. I've been unsuccessful in curing my power steering leak and the lines on a st185 are a bear to replace for me at least.

MWP

What rack are you going to use?
I couldnt find one short enough (i didnt look a huge amount though).

Take a look at my build and EPS. It works very well.

underscore

I know someone on here posted up about using a rack out of certain Corollas or Camrys or something, that fit our cars but had a quicker ratio and I believe was available as a manual rack.