Bringing a ST185 back from the dead one last time

awdmofo

Il_Barone":3w2zooz1 said:
Did you build the engine (crankshaft, pistons, rings, bearings...) by yourself or it was done by someone else?

Sorry Barone for the late response, I have the head/block back from the machine shop. Haven't put it together yet, im going to try and do it myself, if I get stuck im paying a trusted Toyota tech who owns his own shop local to me here in southern California. With my dad passing away in Jan, and my gf's mom passing away early march, this year has been a nightmare for my family. I moved home to take care of my mom, lucky for the all-trac I have half of a garage to finally get this engine put back together and get her on the road. Working full time, taking college part time coupled with having a girl friend and looking after my mom, the all-trac is my therapy :twisted: . Bought a 2013 Camaro V6 6speed manual a few weeks ago as a daily driver to replace my 07 RS 3.0 scion TC :D . Now its time to get back to the "fun."

Attachments

• camaro.jpg
    camaro.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 4,574

awdmofo

Finally got her home, now to clean out the engine bay remove the steering rack to be rebuilt and get some new engine mounts!!! :D :D

Ur52eQnl.jpg

awdmofo

Its been a rough year, basically the hardest year of my life. Working full time, college part time at night online, my dad passed away at the age of 65 in January and I moved home for most of the year to take of my mom. All that said, my dad was into cars at a young age, rebuilding engines and buying/selling cars often like me when I was a little younger. The beast has sat too long, its time to get this engine put back together, install a lightweight flywheel and strong clutch, replace the engine mounts, lines, hoses radiator and install an external oil cooler. This baby must be driving soon!!

I will reload all the pictures from my past post this xmas break, stupid photobucket :shoots: :nono:

Got her up on the stand, ready for some degreasing and pipe cleaning for those coolant passages...

9XRIQD1.jpg

ooF7XGn.jpg

gBb2jaL.jpg

crackerjack

IMG_1527.JPGI found mine in June and very close to your story and it is a 91 altrac in white.
Guy did say blown head gasket but sat there for 2 years so the entire engine needed
to be rebuilt.

Now, it is running!!!
Did all the work myself, still have a few things left to do, Its christmas, taking a break and
enjoying the ride.

awdmofo

crackerjack":2kcn4pca said:
I found mine in June and very close to your story and it is a 91 altrac in white.
Guy did say blown head gasket but sat there for 2 years so the entire engine needed
to be rebuilt.

Now, it is running!!!
Did all the work myself, still have a few things left to do, Its christmas, taking a break and
enjoying the ride.

Sweet ride!! Where you located? I could use some experienced advice because Im about to pay a local shop in ontario to finish the engine rebuild. I'm low on time but finally got a raise at work so you know what that means... MORE CAR PARTS :rofl:!!! I'm suppose to bring the block, head and pistons to my guys shop this saturday 3/31/18. I need to clean the engine bay, remove the rack to get rebuilt, buy all new vacuum lines and what not and get the starter/alt rebuilt. So much fun stuff :roll: .

crackerjack

Located in Calgary, Alberta.

Since there aren't that many alltrac in Canada, less than 1000(LHD). I suggest going to Rockauto for parts.

I go to Discount toyota parts that is located in Toronto for OEM parts like turbo drain hose, valve shims, timing belt...etc.

Thinks like water pump i would go to Rockauto as they have really good pricing to Canada. Believe it or not, OEM piston are no longer available through Toyota so I go Ebay for replacement 3SGTE piston 86.5mm
If yours is a 91, then highly recormend you buy complete engine overhaul gasket. There is someone in the UK that
makes a complete kit that includes timing cover gasket(this is the hardest to find). They are all on ebay. Also,
you should buy the cometic Metal head gasket as they don't stock it(made to order). There is a set of OEM TTY bolts in Toronto but its $289.00. Mine are ARP Head studs at $180.00
also, pay attention to your power steering pump, if that leaks, its a pain to get it out(thats my issue right now).

Alternator and starter are on top so its easy to get to.

Good luck..... :D

awdmofo

crackerjack, sick ride and good to hear another rebuild story! A lots happened in the last 3 years, finished my B.S. degree, my father passed away 2.5 years ago so that put a damper on my project cars :( . But after all that I'm finally putting the pieces back together!!! New pics to come and updates so stay tuned!!! :D

I hand cleaned the pistons, removed the old rings and sent it to the shop with my fresh rebuild stock 2nd gen head. Crossing my fingers they put it all together asap. I'm hoping to have it running and driving safely this winter.

Attachments

• 0714181742c.jpg
    0714181742c.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 3,164
  • 0714181848.jpg
    0714181848.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 3,164
  • 0714181848_HDR.jpg
    0714181848_HDR.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 3,164

awdmofo

Cleaned up the CT20b, painted my stock exhaust manifold black with high temp paint and will be arranging parts in anticipation for my engine/trans to come back from the shop with a new clutch/flywheel installed as one large piece I can throw into the engine bay. Currently looking to rebuild or buy an aftermarket steering rack, rebuild the alternator, starter and powersteering pump. Also need to clean up the engine bay, paint some of the areas that are scratched with touch up paint and source some new engine/trans mounts. Any suggestion on where to get white spray paint that matches the stock color? Any suggestions on the engine mounts? :notworthy:

Attachments

• 0904191536.jpg
    0904191536.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 3,164
  • 0907191517.jpg
    0907191517.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 3,164

sefiroxx

I have had local automotive paint suppliers make up rattle cans for me for quick touch up to hold things until a full paint job. Check with them

awdmofo

sefiroxx":1jnhefgz said:
I have had local automotive paint suppliers make up rattle cans for me for quick touch up to hold things until a full paint job. Check with them

Paint shops can do that? Do you know of any near the LA or OC area here in California? Any pointers on where to sorce the specific color/color code? Thanks.

alltrac801

I know there is a company that sells through amazon that does aerosol paint cans for factory colors. I haven't used them before but maybe someone on here has. I bought a little touch up pin on amazon and it was a great match.

awdmofo

alltrac801":220igf7r said:
I know there is a company that sells through amazon that does aerosol paint cans for factory colors. I haven't used them before but maybe someone on here has. I bought a little touch up pin on amazon and it was a great match.

Thanks! I'll look into it. I was at autozone the other day buying more engine degreaser and brake clean and they said they sell cans of touch up for my color "toyota super white" (Dupli- color PN#BTY1556) for $10.49 but they were out and the only store near had 1 can that was like 8oz i believe. I'll need 2 at least to do the engine bay.

awdmofo

Finally removed the A/C condenser and lines and also crawled up under to manually lower the headlight. I think I know why the motor went back on the headlight... Notice the picture of the alignment of the fender to the headlight :? . Also barely tugged on the side marker light and it broke in my hands like 30 year old plastic :doh: . I guess its time for clear JDM lights?? ANywhoo more pictures!!!

8X8C4KYl.jpg

2yJFXICl.jpg

AgaxX9Ul.jpg

awdmofo

Thanks to http://www.imgur.com I now have updated all the original links for my pics on Page 1-3 so I hope it helps if anyone is following me from the beginning :D . So I got my power steering pump rebuilt and got a new sensor on it, got the starter rebuilt and picked up a nice replica GT4 front bumper from some cool local company (http://www.vicrez.com). Now if I can only talk them into making GT4 hoods because i can't find one anywhere and I wanna install this 205 water to air intercooler asap.

**shameless plug of my 3sgte part out and full interior post** Help me afford to get this guy up and running!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53399

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53417

HqKP6xcl.jpg

ZPuScMrl.jpg

underscore

I've been tempted to get one of those front bumpers just to have a spare on hand. Let us know how the fitment is.

awdmofo

underscore":39f16t4m said:
I've been tempted to get one of those front bumpers just to have a spare on hand. Let us know how the fitment is.

I'll be fitting it this week and let you know. The shop i got it from told me they sell a ton of these. If thats true i'd assume they fit great. They told me to let tem know if I have any problems or issues at all. I hope i can get a list of people willing to buy the GT4 hood soon, they should be able to make it out of fiberglass or carbon fiber. I will allow them to use my stock hood for measurement... for a discounted price :p .

awdmofo

Got a rebuilt OEM steering rack for $150!! :D My BRD steering rack bushings came in along with the BRD shifter bushings. Ordered some Kirkosaurus front and rear engine mount inserts, they will hopefully make this a solid feel once i get it running.

My stock blown steering rack bushing and tie rod ends...
4Y5emCpl.jpg

LOOK MOM NEW PARTS!! :shoots:
xB03MPel.jpg