HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

Talk about your project car here

Re: HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

Postby FC Zach » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:23 am

The car looks great!

hoys wrote:Its nearly impossible to find the proper size tire for 15"s any more.

This very reason is why I almost considered replacing the wheels on my RX7, luckily I was able to order the size I needed. I was under the impression from the tire dealer I go to that the size I needed wasn't made by anyone, later I found that there were plenty of options but they had to be ordered.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby hoys » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:03 pm

FC Zach wrote:The car looks great!

hoys wrote:Its nearly impossible to find the proper size tire for 15"s any more.

This very reason is why I almost considered replacing the wheels on my RX7, luckily I was able to order the size I needed. I was under the impression from the tire dealer I go to that the size I needed wasn't made by anyone, later I found that there were plenty of options but they had to be ordered.

I've searched just about every tire distributor out there. I think they don't exist :(
hoys
Club Member

Postby hoys » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Changed the timing belt and all related components except oil pump last night. The noise around 1500 RPM was the tensioner smacking against the hydraulic tensioner. Hydraulic tensioner half failed while sitting for so long. All of the idler bearings were also trash.

Boy I've changed timing belts on a lot of cars and had a lot of pain with ones like Subaru DOHC twin AVCS cars, but the 3S is certainly the worst I've ever had to do. Absolutely no wiggle room. Ended up using the intake cam to tighten the belt two teeth, put the belt on the exhaust cam, then leveraged the lower idler to provide the final tension and then tighten the bolt.

Flushed the cooling system and changed the oil. The water pump had no signs of corrosion so the coolant that was in the car hadn't gone too bad. Oil looked fine. Will most likely change the oil again in 100 miles or so.

Only issues that persist now are the seatbelt won't retract fully, I need some rear trunk lift struts, and then fix the tear in the drivers seat cushion.
hoys
Club Member

Postby hoys » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Vehicle is inspected, titled, and on the road!

A few little issues remain. The car most definitely needs some suspension work. I'll be putting on new tires to evaluate what needs to be done as the tires currently on the car are rather old already.

The AdvanceAutoParts branded battery (35-2) was an improper fit for the battery hold down bracket because of the fill holes on the top. While driving I noticed sparks coming from the drivers headlight area. This was caused by the battery cable touching the bracket. Friend at the parts store helped me exchange for an AGM battery. Perfect fit and no fill ports! :)
hoys
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:50 am

hoys wrote:Who knows how to reset the SEC (urity?) error on the radio?

Do you have this issue resolved yet? If not, I can help you.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby hoys » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:42 am

93celicaconv wrote:
hoys wrote:Who knows how to reset the SEC (urity?) error on the radio?

Do you have this issue resolved yet? If not, I can help you.

I was able to get it working. I think the owners manual instructions for the radio I have is actually wrong.
hoys
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:58 pm

hoys wrote:I was able to get it working. I think the owners manual instructions for the radio I have is actually wrong.

Glad you got it working. Hope the system is working well for you. The door woofers, if original, likely have the foam suspension for the cones broken away (typical for those woofers). There is a place I sent these door woofers to in order to get new foam suspension put back on. When you get to this stage, if you find you need/want to do that, let me know, I can provide you the source I found that did (4) pairs of those speakers for me and did a very nice job on them all.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby mx6er2587 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:35 pm

93celicaconv wrote:
hoys wrote:I was able to get it working. I think the owners manual instructions for the radio I have is actually wrong.

Glad you got it working. Hope the system is working well for you. The door woofers, if original, likely have the foam suspension for the cones broken away (typical for those woofers). There is a place I sent these door woofers to in order to get new foam suspension put back on. When you get to this stage, if you find you need/want to do that, let me know, I can provide you the source I found that did (4) pairs of those speakers for me and did a very nice job on them all.

I recently reformed the woofers myself. It's pretty simple. I have pictures in my build thread.
mx6er2587
Established Member

Postby Mr Alltrac » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Pretty much my dream car you got there. Absolutely love that color! Excited to see it evolve.
Mr Alltrac
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project