First RallyX with the 165

Jason88AllTrac

Figured I would also post this here as well as not everyone will check the project forum:

This weekend I did my first rallycross with the new alltrac. I think I mentioned before, RallyX and Ice racing are among the main reasons I bought this car. I am impressed with how nimble it is despite the weight and how it feels very much at-home on dirt. It was very easy to get the car to rotate, perhaps too easy as off-throttle oversteer was an issue in some spots of the track. I wish I had installed some better tires to run on though, as the old dry-rotted firehawks were less than spectacular in the dirt. Next event it will be time for some snow tires so I can be a little more competitive and stay in stock class (for now).

Oddly enough, the car got some attention because very few people had seen a 165 before. It was kind of a nice feeling parking next to a *yawn* STi and having people pay attention to the Celica instead. I actually had a few people ask me if it was AWD, despite the obvious all-trac decal on the back and SA (Stock AWD) class on the window. Overall I did alright... This was a very well set-up coarse IMO, just a few wet/rutted spots that were easy to mess up if you got off the line. Later in the day the coarse is run backwards, and it was MUCH faster. It was a 3 hour drive for me so I left before the trophies, but based on comparing times I beat a couple of the WRX's, a DSM and an STi (by 2+ seconds) that were also in the stock AWD class. I could say it was because I had better equipment :wink: 8)

jason1.jpg

jason2.jpg

jason3.jpg

jason4.jpg

I'm actually very much sideways in this pic:

jason5.jpg

jason6.jpg