[How to] Install a blow-off valve

WarTowels

Meurz said both 8mm and 4mm were needed, but didn't state just how long the length ares of each. I don't beleive the BOV I ordered comes with any hoses, so I was going to order matching silicone ones but they sell it by the foot.

-Towels

BriinumsBo

hm, i installed HKS SQV (i guess the older version).
1)in last 5 days it stalled once. this is a problem since i very often put the gear into neutral, but if the revs are high (turbo has spooled high enough), it can stall due to overfueling. when it stalls, you cannot turn the steering wheel or press on brakes - imagine that on a fast corner!
2) when the cylinders are over fueled (AFR gauge reads absolutely LEAN btw, after i accelerate, it goes to rich :roll:) and i put it in gear, first miliseconds it doesnt burn, and then there is a massive HIT when it explodes, and I can really feel/hear how it wants to destroy my torsen :/ maybe i should replace the torsen bushing.. BUT another test for this without even attaching the gearbox is - rev up to some 4500rpm in some 2nd or 3rd, release gas pedal,clutch neutral and press gas pedal (probably at some 3k rpm) while the SQV is still open and letting the air through - its possible to notice that it doesnt burn the first cycles since the fuel is too much, but then it burns with a massive hit. maybe its just a backfire, but im really worried about the damage to the engine..
i have bad syncrhos so i cannot switch fast - a lot of fuel gets into cylinders. so when i accelerate hard and switch gears, i try to lightly press or tap on gas to burn and minimize the overfueling

aus jd 2703

BriinumsBo":1f6u035p said:
hm, i installed HKS SQV (i guess the older version).
1)in last 5 days it stalled once. this is a problem since i very often put the gear into neutral, but if the revs are high (turbo has spooled high enough), it can stall due to overfueling. when it stalls, you cannot turn the steering wheel or press on brakes - imagine that on a fast corner!
2) when the cylinders are over fueled (AFR gauge reads absolutely LEAN btw, after i accelerate, it goes to rich :roll:) and i put it in gear, first miliseconds it doesnt burn, and then there is a massive HIT when it explodes, and I can really feel/hear how it wants to destroy my torsen :/ maybe i should replace the torsen bushing.. BUT another test for this without even attaching the gearbox is - rev up to some 4500rpm in some 2nd or 3rd, release gas pedal,clutch neutral and press gas pedal (probably at some 3k rpm) while the SQV is still open and letting the air through - its possible to notice that it doesnt burn the first cycles since the fuel is too much, but then it burns with a massive hit. maybe its just a backfire, but im really worried about the damage to the engine..
i have bad syncrhos so i cannot switch fast - a lot of fuel gets into cylinders. so when i accelerate hard and switch gears, i try to lightly press or tap on gas to burn and minimize the overfueling
this is enough for me to stick with a plumb back system lol if i ever get my gt4 running :cry:

BriinumsBo

ok today i blocked off the vacuum line for sqv, and wow, i wont connect it back :D smooth gear changes are far more better than uncomfortable and scary ones but protecting turbo.. and i guess only SSQV can be recirculated not SQV, at least i see no way of removing the triangle insert and add a recirculation kit..

BriinumsBo

can anyone please confirm if the older HKS SQV (if i have it, no idea) can be routed back into intake? can you explain how the recirculating kit is attached? i guess its only for SSQV. maybe you have pictures of the kit? i cannot screw out the tri-star piece, it seems non-removable :/
here is a pic:

id really like to keep the blowoff, but the gearchange issue is way too bad..

J'sAlltrac

i dont mean to ask silly questions but i really need to find this one out., so i bought my friend's bov yesterday and im ready to put it on to my 165. i have searched and found a lil bit of info. i know how to put it on already but i just need to know how to recirculate the air.

in this thread, the explanation is for 185 which tells the exact procedure. none is for 165. so if any1 have done this (i know for sure there is) please help. thanks! :cry:

on some thread about hooking up a boost gauge, they use the vacuum located at the back of the intake manifold.
DSC06414.jpg

but i look at it... and if you hook it up there, this line will be open??
DSC06409.jpg

idk guys im really confused. :shrug: there is a lot of vacuum lines here and im afraid to open one for the bov recirculation cuz i might mess the whole entire vacuum system..
DSC06412.jpg

any help for the noob?!????? :p

thanks guys!

J'sAlltrac

ohh! :oops: thought of that for a sec! lool but the line that i marked on the picture, is the where im suppose to make a t? or is there some other place too?

tnx tnx tnx for all the answers! :D

BriinumsBo

anywhere where you see a vacuum line coming out of intake manifold. try to find a line that connects to some non-vital part. e.g. if you connect to the line that goes to fuel pump pressure sensor, you might get a slower fuel pump switch (from low to high mode, if st165 has it). its not that connecting something to the vacuum line makes a difference in other parts of the system, but it might if you give too much room in the vacuum hose :)

PatmanBBE

I am installing a GReddy BOV it has two lines coming out. I think one is supposed to tie into my wastegate actuator connecting it to the BOV and the other is vacuum. I just dont know which is the actuator connector and which is the vacuum.

Where should I connect the hose to recirculate the pressure? I have too many cops in my city to vent into the atmo. Also what can I use to recirculate it? I have some turbo tubing that fits onto the BOV but its not very flexible.

Also can I install my BOV after the FMIC or does it need to go on after the turbo and before the FMIC?

BriinumsBo

PatmanBBE":2wnrjfno said:
I am installing a GReddy BOV it has two lines coming out. I think one is supposed to tie into my wastegate actuator connecting it to the BOV and the other is vacuum. I just dont know which is the actuator connector and which is the vacuum.

Where should I connect the hose to recirculate the pressure? I have too many cops in my city to vent into the atmo. Also what can I use to recirculate it? I have some turbo tubing that fits onto the BOV but its not very flexible.

Also can I install my BOV after the FMIC or does it need to go on after the turbo and before the FMIC?

BOV hose for wastegate actuator? why would you do that? the only solution i have ever thought about is if some mechanism put vacuum on wastegate so that the turbine wheel isn`t stopped by vacuum between exhaust ports and turbo.. but i dont think a BOV could fulfill this.

recirculation must go back somewhere between air filter and turbo.

BOV can and SHOULD be after intercooler! in this way air is circulated throughout the intercooler and kept cool!

post your setup pic

05christj

The top nipple is for vaccum (off your intake manifold) and the lower nipple is for pressure (off your IC pipe) however only the vacume line is needed. the pressure nipple is just there to help open up the BOV faster.

you can see how it would work here
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... %26hl%3Den

the red part is the valve that releses the air you can see how vaccum from the top nipple would pull it up and how pressure building in the bottom (after the throttle plate closes) would help push the valve up to let air out

PatmanBBE

Ok kewl. I get it now. I am taking the car to get it smogged on monday. I hope it passes I set the timing back to almost stock settings, It makes the car drive like shit, but it should help me pass smog. Once I pass Im installing my BOV. Thanks guys for the help.

05christj

let me know how it works out. I'll be following the build of this car and handing out any tips I might have. but it seems like you have a game plann good luck

kingcobb

does anyone know where to buy the samco silicon t-piece, speedfactor in winnipeg, which is a performance store don't sell them, and i'm really in need of one.

Sheng

Just wondering what PSI should you set the BOV at, mine is adjustable so i was just wondering approximately what psi should i set the bov to open.

Sheng

SuperWhite92

Sheng":3h4xge2b said:
Just wondering what PSI should you set the BOV at, mine is adjustable so i was just wondering approximately what psi should i set the bov to open.

Sheng

You don't set a BOV to open at a PSI. You set it so it doesn't leak at whatever PSI you're already set at.