need to know EGR removal

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

need to know EGR removal

Postby syko says » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:24 am

okay, so ive done a search on how to remove this thing... all 48 pages of them (43 pages of "EGR removal" and all 5 pages of "EGR"). i probably missed it somewhere (if there were any) but i am NOT willing to look back lol. so since my car's on stands right now (waiting for new top hats) im just going to start on my engine bay clean up project). and removing the EGR is one of them. anyone know the know hows in removing these things?

just a couple notes:

- there are no emissions in hawaii, so i dont have to worry about that.
- i also know that i will need block off plates. anyone reccomend anything? ive read people using ebay specials and saying they work well. so is there really a difference between the KO Racing block off plates vs. the ebay ones?

thanks for your replies in advance! :D
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Aloha,
Evan

RedCelicaTRD wrote:I've got my eye on you wise guy :|
syko says
Established Member

Postby //Zee-Roh// » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:09 am

take an aluminum can......fold it where it's really thick, and stick it in there...works just fine...LOL If you're a cheap-ass like me...and you can't even see the block, so you'd never notice it was blocked..BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA
'88 All-trac ST165
-Joel
//Zee-Roh//
Club Member

Postby toayoztan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:26 am

Length of Time - ~ 30-45 minutes
Difficulty of Mod ~ Easy to Moderate, depends if you have trouble with getting the EGR bolts to break loose.

I am bored so i decided to do a mini write up for you all.

Okay, here's why I removed mine. It sounded like a valvetrain making all these ticking noises. Turns out it was this sucker:

First, dealing with the vac/vsv crap. Follow the directions on the picture. Note: Take off that mounting bolt last, after you get the plug and two vac lines off. Don't forget to get a vac cap to cap off the TB where you removed the vac line from:

There after, remove these two bolts here:

If you strip one of the alan bolts, get yourself a set of these:

Put it on like this, and get a big socket to use on the "sprial socket":

And your result is a removed stripped alan bolt like shown:

There after, remove these two bolts here:

And you should be removing what looks like this as one assembly:

Then get yourself some block off plates like these. These were off ebay, stainless steel (not mild steel), and works perfectly fine. I actually reused a PART of the old gasket too, I get no leaks. You WILL need shorter bolts from Ace Hardware or wherever, as the stock bolts are too long (they were for my plates anyway). I just bought some SS bolts:

One block off plate goes here WITH a gasket:

The other goes here, and i used FIPG as a gasket to seal on the intake manifold:

And here's your finished product!

Hope this was helpful!

Bryan
Last edited by toayoztan on Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby syko says » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:42 am

@ bryan

MAN that was insightful! :D thanks so much. and you were bored.. thank you for being bored and dealing with a newb like me. haha.

anyway :notworthy: i am most certainly not worthy :D

ps. i like the stripped alan bolts part. you actually went out of your way to explain that part as well! :twisted:
Aloha,
Evan

syko says
Established Member

Postby hacker_720 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:25 am

I didn't want to wait for block off plates. So I just made some with some 22AGW sheet metal and that cork-gasket stuff, they work well. If you are going for the "clean engine bay" look. I'm going to do a full write up next weekend. there is a lot of stuff you can remove.
hacker_720
Established Member

Postby grip addict » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:11 pm

i'm with bryan, egr is worthless :smokes:
i also had a bitch of a time getting those damn bolts off, the stuff was heat welded on. still not nearly as bad as taking the egr off the ra64 celica i'm working on though lol

i need to warn everyone-
ATSAaron wrote:You specifically told Matt that "some kid dumped sand into my motor."

don't let some kid dump sand into your motor.
grip addict
Established Member

Postby //Zee-Roh// » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:20 pm

Wow my engine was a breeze. just popped those suckers right out. Thank god I haven't had any nightmares with my engine........(knocks on wood) *shudder*
'88 All-trac ST165
-Joel
//Zee-Roh//
Club Member

Postby justjoe » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Don't forget to get a vacuum line cap and cap off the line from the EGR to the throttle body!

I am in the process of removing my EGR now because my EGR was not working right and throwing a CEL (check engine light)

And unless you are using a JDM ECU, you have to trick the ECU with a 1 ohm resistor, but I don't have to worry about that. Because I have a JDM ECU :D

As far as the block off pates, I went ahead and bought the KO Racing blockoff plates because they come with NEW allen head bolts, washers and gaskets.. making it soo much easier. I had to polish the plates just a hair, because everything needs to be perfect. :twisted:

Enjoy a cleaner engine bay =)
justjoe
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop SC Swap <-- w00t!
90 ST185 Celica All-Trac
99 Camry Grocery getter..
justjoe
Club Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:55 pm

Only the California ecu needs to be fooled with a resistor.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby toayoztan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:35 pm

//Zee-Roh// wrote:Wow my engine was a breeze. just popped those suckers right out. Thank god I haven't had any nightmares with my engine........(knocks on wood) *shudder*

I'll be doing a cold start removal write up and Charcoal Canister write up soon. Both are very easy to do. Cold start removal i wouldn't recommend to those in cold weather I guess :shrug:

What I have removed on my car is cruise control, egr, cold start inj, and charcoal canister. Really, the only thing left I can think of is AC, for me.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby syko says » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:46 pm

toayoztan wrote:I'll be doing a cold start removal write up and Charcoal Canister write up soon. Both are very easy to do. Cold start removal i wouldn't recommend to those in cold weather I guess :shrug:

great, i'll be looking forward to this :D

toayoztan wrote:What I have removed on my car is cruise control, egr, cold start inj, and charcoal canister. Really, the only thing left I can think of is AC, for me.

mmm not looking forward to removing the AC for me. it kind of gets too hot here and i sweat in my car in traffic at times.. i dont like sweaty cars :doh: :(
Aloha,
Evan

syko says
Established Member

Postby justjoe » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:48 pm

Boy, I cannot even think about removing the A/C.. I live in Texas.. and well when it is 90 at night.. and 104 in the day.. well, I don't exactly want to get rid of the cold =)..

BTW, what would removing the Cold Start buy you.. if anything?
justjoe
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop SC Swap <-- w00t!
90 ST185 Celica All-Trac
99 Camry Grocery getter..
justjoe
Club Member

Postby toayoztan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:37 am

justjoe wrote:Boy, I cannot even think about removing the A/C.. I live in Texas.. and well when it is 90 at night.. and 104 in the day.. well, I don't exactly want to get rid of the cold =)..

BTW, what would removing the Cold Start buy you.. if anything?

If your cold start inj was leaking or went bad. And saves me those little ounces of gas everytime I turn the car on lol. I removed it because mine was leaking, and I didn't really need it here in Oklahoma. So i took it off and made my own block off plates.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby theUNYTEDone » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:01 am

toayoztan wrote:
//Zee-Roh// wrote:Wow my engine was a breeze. just popped those suckers right out. Thank god I haven't had any nightmares with my engine........(knocks on wood) *shudder*

I'll be doing a cold start removal write up and Charcoal Canister write up soon. Both are very easy to do. Cold start removal i wouldn't recommend to those in cold weather I guess :shrug:

What I have removed on my car is cruise control, egr, cold start inj, and charcoal canister. Really, the only thing left I can think of is AC, for me.

Bryan

Hey bryan:

about the charcoal canister, i plan on leaving mine out. it was "temporarily removed" to get to my fuel filter, but if able to, i'd like to leave it out to save at least SOME weight.

what of the two lines? i'm assuming they are in/out lines...can they be capped?
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God

Postby toayoztan » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:01 am

theUNYTEDone wrote:
toayoztan wrote:

Bryan

Hey bryan:

about the charcoal canister, i plan on leaving mine out. it was "temporarily removed" to get to my fuel filter, but if able to, i'd like to leave it out to save at least SOME weight.

what of the two lines? i'm assuming they are in/out lines...can they be capped?

I made a thread about removing the charcoal canister in this forum just now. Hope it helps!

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Next