need to know EGR removal

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

Postby yjkalltrac » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:07 am

toayoztan wrote:First, dealing with the vac/vsv crap. Follow the directions on the picture. Note: Take off that mounting bolt last, after you get the plug and two vac lines off. Don't forget to get a vac cap to cap off the TB where you removed the vac line from:

Image

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but what do you do to the VSV?
You leave it unplugged and let it dangle? Will it throw any codes
if I leave it unplugged?

yjk
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
User avatar
yjkalltrac
Club Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:16 am
Location: Hawaii, USA

Postby syko says » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:18 am

if your car was originally from california, then it will leave a code. if not, then no. there is a way to get rid of the code (say if your car WAS from cali) but i am unsure how to do it. i know i read it somewhere on here though.
Aloha,
Evan

RedCelicaTRD wrote:I've got my eye on you wise guy :|
User avatar
syko says
Established Member
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:27 pm
Location: Waipahu, Hawaii

Postby toayoztan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:19 am

Yeah, just let it dangle, unless you want to snip it off, but it's the same effect either way.

It won't throw any codes either.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby yjkalltrac » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:57 am

Oops, maybe I should've been more detailed.
So I unplug it and let it dangle, right?
If I don't unplug it, the least I should do is to plug up to two holes
the two hoses connect to, right?
User avatar
yjkalltrac
Club Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:16 am
Location: Hawaii, USA

Postby toayoztan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:42 am

Yeah I supposed, but why would you leave just that sensor there? May as well go the full 9 yards, and rip it all out. The only thing you really can't just "rip out" is that brown plug, unless you snip them off the harness.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby WarTowels » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Good writeup, this should be stickied and put in the How To section.

My ebay block off plates... only included the one plate, and not the manifold one. :cry:

Now I need to fab something up... arg.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
User avatar
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God
 
Posts: 6443
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:30 am
Location: I live in a garage.

Postby alltracman78 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:12 pm

RedCelicaTRD wrote:Only the California ecu needs to be fooled with a resistor.


There is no CA ECU for our cars, they're all the same.
All have the potential for the EGR code.
The CA spec cars have a temp sender in the EGR valve.
All other cars have a resistor in the connector for the temp sender.


yjkalltrac wrote:Sorry to reply to an old thread, but what do you do to the VSV?
You leave it unplugged and let it dangle? Will it throw any codes
if I leave it unplugged?

syko says wrote:if your car was originally from california, then it will leave a code. if not, then no. there is a way to get rid of the code (say if your car WAS from cali) but i am unsure how to do it. i know i read it somewhere on here though.


Just to clarify, and hopefully help at least someone understand better, unplugging the EGR VSV wont' automatically cause an EGR code.
The code comes from the temp sender mentioned above.
Unplugging the VSV [without removing any of the EGR stuff], will cause the code in a CA spec car, because the temp sender won't see high temps.
However, removing all the EGR stuff and leaving that VSV plugged in will also cause the code on a CA spec car.
On a non CA spec car you won't get a code unless you remove the resistor from the connector, or the resistor goes bad.
Image
User avatar
alltracman78
GTFour God
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:04 am
Location: Ma

Postby EasternBandit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:10 pm

What size resistor do you need? I've heard people say 1ohm and others 1k ohm.
chaos_cascade wrote:
Heh, you should prolly change your siggy Putting best foot forward and all.

May I suggest-

Black '93 ST185 - 1 of 81, CS Hood, CS Front, essence of cool
EasternBandit
Club Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:57 pm
Location: Newport, Oregon

Postby LegacyofDan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:26 pm

alltracman78 wrote:
RedCelicaTRD wrote:Only the California ecu needs to be fooled with a resistor.


There is no CA ECU for our cars, they're all the same.
All have the potential for the EGR code.
The CA spec cars have a temp sender in the EGR valve.
All other cars have a resistor in the connector for the temp sender.


yjkalltrac wrote:Sorry to reply to an old thread, but what do you do to the VSV?
You leave it unplugged and let it dangle? Will it throw any codes
if I leave it unplugged?

syko says wrote:if your car was originally from california, then it will leave a code. if not, then no. there is a way to get rid of the code (say if your car WAS from cali) but i am unsure how to do it. i know i read it somewhere on here though.


Just to clarify, and hopefully help at least someone understand better, unplugging the EGR VSV wont' automatically cause an EGR code.
The code comes from the temp sender mentioned above.
Unplugging the VSV [without removing any of the EGR stuff], will cause the code in a CA spec car, because the temp sender won't see high temps.
However, removing all the EGR stuff and leaving that VSV plugged in will also cause the code on a CA spec car.
On a non CA spec car you won't get a code unless you remove the resistor from the connector, or the resistor goes bad.




well that sorta helps me out...i'm throwing two codes...5-1 and 2-2...one of them is a temp sensor or something with the temp i dont remember...but i did remove the EGR, is that where my temp code is coming from?
User avatar
LegacyofDan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3640
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby 05christj » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:22 pm

what is the advantage to removing the EGR
1988 ST165 Blue (sold)
1988 ST165 White (sold)
05christj
Club Member
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Killeen Tx.

Postby LegacyofDan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:29 pm

-less clutter
-colder air, rather than spitting hot exhaust back into the intake manifold
User avatar
LegacyofDan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3640
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby toayoztan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:50 pm

I moved this to the How To section. I will fix the first picture also that shows an X when i get the time.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
User avatar
toayoztan
GTFour God
 
Posts: 6734
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 am
Location: Oklahoma

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby WarTowels » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:25 pm

05christj wrote:what is the advantage to removing the EGR


EGR failure can also cause running problems, which is why I removed mine.

It is illegal to remove it in some states because it is an emissions part, so check out the local laws before pulling it.

Also I've heard it yields a tiny performance gain.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
User avatar
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God
 
Posts: 6443
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:30 am
Location: I live in a garage.

Postby bridge47 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:18 pm

I'll post an article I have about the disadvantages to removing EGR. Not sure if it applies to Alltracs but some ECUs will advance timing big time when EGR is in operation b/c of slower burn rate of fuel charge. Helps economy as well as emissions. Pumping losses are reduced as well. When EGR was first required circa 1973 it was primitive and could hurt performance. Not so on modern vehicles.

That being said, I ran my 90 ST185 for 50K miles w/o EGR and never noticed any detonation. But I was at 7000ft.

I would suggest keeping a sharp eye on audible pinging since EGR won't be operating but ECU is counting on the flow.
Yet another black 93 ST185.....

Facts are stubborn things.
bridge47
Club Member
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Postby WarTowels » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:29 am

Or run a JDM ECU like me. 8)

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
User avatar
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God
 
Posts: 6443
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:30 am
Location: I live in a garage.

PreviousNext

Return to How To

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest