MR2 Bypass valve install, recirculated. A couple questions..

maxaud

I didn't feel like messing with my intake system any more then I would have to. I touched it to much in the past week. I actually got away with changing the plugs without unhooking the water lines. I just pull'd it forward. and snuck in behind it. The samco T hose is very tight though and it was the hardest part to slide back down onto the turbo.

88st165

here are some....

DSCN2728.jpg

DSCN2729.jpg

-the hose that goes from the bpv to the intake is just a molded heater hose that i had laying around and it had a curve in it which worked out perfect.

edit: just remember that my turbo is located farther away from the head because of the twin entry swap....

maxaud

looks clean. I used a molded piece for mine also. It's the only hose I could find in my small town that was big enough.

maxaud

no problems here. I get about 19mpg rather then 20-21mpg as I used to. No real complaints.

built2run

i have my GFB mach 1 BOV vented to the atmosphere and it doesn't hesitate too bad, i did have a recirculating bosch unit from a gti and it made no noise at all but if you rev it up hard at idle with your hand on the t/b and put your head near it you can hear it do something. the next recirculating setup i will have will be directed back into the exh. manifold and let it go rich...... :evil:

maxaud

built2run":21gzxdvd said:
... the next recirculating setup i will have will be directed back into the exh. manifold and let it go rich...... :evil:
What would be the benefit of this?

built2run

citroen, toyota, ferrari, peugeot and others did this on their race turbo engines along with the backing off of timing to add to the extra air and fuel as a very aggressive form of ALS, the st205 wrc exh. manifold is what i will try to mimic. some call it air anti-lag.

CMS-GT4

Very nice install. Not sure how different the 3rd gen vavle is, but I can hear mine very well, and I could hear my frIends on his mr2 (3rd gen swap).

maxaud

built2run":90tekeqs said:
citroen, toyota, ferrari, peugeot and others did this on their race turbo engines along with the backing off of timing to add to the extra air and fuel as a very aggressive form of ALS, the st205 wrc exh. manifold is what i will try to mimic. some call it air anti-lag.

ok, I see. I don't know why I didn't think of that as a reason to do that.
Let me know how it works out.

built2run

well i won't do the backing off of timing just yet but the richness and turbo air will be done right after the t3/t04,its not "full ALS" but it should get me about 5-8 psi even after decel as low as 2500 rpm. its gonna be on a separate system switched on by a vsv of some sort so it won't be on all the time and my turbo will last a little longer. the backing off of timing i'll do once i save up for the ball bearing CHRA for the t3/t04. = full boost all the time!

Gary ST165

quick question: did all the rev1&2 sw20 turbos have a recirc dump valve, or is this just a later addition to the rev3 sw20 and st205?

BriinumsBo

where do i get a bpv from mr2?
still i`m concerned about circulating the air through the turbo without being cooled down through the intercooler in first place :/

so you get 19mpg instead of 21? shouldnt a better air access increase mileage? :/ of course it doesnt matter as this is a fun car :)

BriinumsBo

well i`ve spent 120% of my last 5 salaries on the car, 2400eur for engine rebuild (rings, bearings, gaskets), just because of overboosting/maybe detonation.. anyways i want to make sure my engine runs healthy :) :) :)

do you know any place where to get an MR2 bpv online? I doubt i can get any in my country.. there are maybe five MR2`s in the whole nation :D