how to upgrade 165 turbo/ic to 2 gen turbo/205ic ** UPDATED*

saved_1992

parts needed, write up and pics:

PARTS LIST
2gen turbo and manifold (7 bolt)
205ic *
ats throttle inlet or http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1726 (BayAreaAT's)*
throttle inlet gasket #17376-88380 *
inlet connector hose (mr2) #17862-88381 *
gaskets for the turbo oil and coolant lines #15526-88380,#15471-88341
(2) #16347-88340
turbo exhaust gaskets
exhaust flange/longer studs http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html
(for studs if not avaliable try long bolts and cut the heads off or a threaded rod to make your own studs)
(2) 165 exhaust manifold gaskets #17173-88380 if use the flange 1 if not
heater hose adapters (2)
down pipe
recc straight intake (not absolutley needed)
bov
oil return rubber hose(that goes to the oil pan)#15491-88380 NOTE DO NOT USE SCREW TYPE CLAMP ON THIS HOSE, IT WILL CUT IT
REMOVE
radiator fan assem
battery
air filter box and tubes
throttle cable and bracket on the throttle body
intercooler and support brackets
turbo,manifold assem and support brackets
pcv tube
START OF INSTALLATION
swap the oil cooler and antifreeze lines from the 165 turbo to the 2 gen turbo using new gaskets. note the supporting brackets on the lines will have to be removed. this will help with adjusting the lines to fit the new position of the turbo. assem the turbo on the 2 gen manifold. install longer exhaust studs if using the flange.

CHECK THIS POST IF LOOKING TO DO BRAIDED OIL LINES VERY NICE
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=

TEST FIT ASSEM
install one exhaust gasket, flange, exhaust gasket, then the turbo manifold assem with the oil and cooler lines on(secure with only a couple of nuts will be taking manifold/turbo assem back off back off). using the flange will set the turbo assem back farther to allow the actuator to clear the bolt at the oil filter. double check the fitment at the actuator to make sure it will clear also check fitment of the actuator at the steel heater hose lines. with assem on, check the fitment of the oil and coolant lines. oil return line will have to be shortened and other lines adjusted to fit. becarefull bending the lines only as needed, and make sure you do not kink the oil pressure line. NOTE: I MODIFIED THE ACUATOR ARM TO UNDER THE LEVER AND ALSO HAD TO GRIND ON THE TURBO ASSEM (see pics) TO GET ROOM TO CLEAR THE BOLT AT THE OIL FILTER. USING THE FLANGE WOULD BE AN EASIER MODIFICATION TO DO (thought of this too late to help me).
now test fit the radiator fan assem (note some material will have to be removed from the metal shroud see pic). you might have to remove the turbo assem during this test fit, very tight. test fit the manifold heat shield i had to drill one extra hole at the turbo to bolt on (i am using a ct20b).
once everything is fitting properly fully install the turbo assem, fan assem and the oil/coolant lines. if installing a mbc install now.
TEST FIT 205IC
swap the coolant level sensor (plug is different), test fit the 205ic. notice how much the inlet will have to be bent over and if any length will have to be cut off. check how close the ic water lines are to the oil sensor, if want more room can use a different (smaller) sensor off a newer toyota model. to help the ic to fit i cut 2 out of the 3 support brackets off. if using a thermal wrap on the ic install now. test fit the ATS throttle inlet (or similar product) with the 205ic measure how much will have to be cut off. NOTE i cut the inlet long to fit inside the ic to help the fitment and to be more secure. also will have to trim the rubber coupler to fit as well. to adjust the inlet of the ic over to line up with the turbo, i used a pipe that fit over the ic inlet. i found using a pipe to bend the inlet was easier than heating it up and then bending (almost burned through the inlet). once you have the throttle inlet and coupler cut to fit and the ic inlet adjusted over, cut extra length off the ic inlet (i had to cut off approx. 1.5"). remove the ic and reinstall the pcv tube,test fit the ic again and adjust the pcv tube as needed. once the pcv is adjusted, install the throttle inlet gasket and fully secure the ic on. note the angle of the ic to the throttle inlet did not line up perfectly this is another reason i cut the inlet longer to fit inside the ic. secure the inlet and outlet hoses, the ic should have very little movement if any at all. i did not use any other support on the ic assem. once secured the ic will be resting very close to the valve cover. gently close the hood and watch the clearance. i did remove the hood insulation because it was falling apart. install the heater hose adapters and hose to the ic. reinstall the throttle cable and bracket. install bov of you choice i used a turboX h34 and routed back into the intake. if you are going to run the ic pump constantly check this mod out,
http://www.gtfours.co.uk/how_to/ic_cons ... nstant.htm
works great and no check engine light (note my wire was green/red not green/black). install overflow tank on far back drivers side ic bracket, fill up intercooler check for leaks oil/ coolant.
install the air inlet tubes and the air box, and rest of hoses note i did have to cut off the bottom of the air box because it would not bolt up, kept the lip where the clamps are so now it is a open fresh air box (running a trd filter). start car warm up check for leaks, check ic to be full.

ENJOY :D :D

do this mod at you own risk i can not be held responsible for any damage, just letting you know how i installed the 2gen turbo and 205ic on a 165. :shrug:

if anybody has any questions just let me know 8) or any ideas to make this swap or write up better

again ENJOY

205intercooleron165.jpg

205intercooleron165004.jpg

205intercooleron165002.jpg

205intercooleron165008.jpg

205intercooleron165009.jpg

205intercooleron165013.jpg

205intercooleron165023.jpg

205intercooleron165016.jpg

205intercooleron165011.jpg

205intercooleron1650012.jpg

205intercooleron1650021.jpg

http://www.atsracing.net/ats_racing_thr ... _inlet.htm
12 UPDATE 165 rubber inlet stretched to fit
9.jpg

8.jpg

NOTE this will help for some more room at the intake (from Chris Dittrick)

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI: an ST185 throttle body will give you an extra 1/8" to work with.

88 165 w/ 185 eng
www.gtfour.ca

there is another option write up in progress see link
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=

saved_1992

update dropped the motor to install better clutch assem and a mhg and studs.

have test fitted a 165 rubber coupler to the 205ic stretched to fit, will update on how performs and will get some pics (fits better)

pics added will update on how performs

saved_1992

killer_siller":2x6ytpn5 said:
any idea on a rough price for it?

finally someone posted other than me :roll:

what do you mean on your question? 2 gen manifolds/ct26 stuff is pretty easy to find and maybe under 300.00 depending on the turbo :shrug:

should be under 100.00 for the gaskets, if you want to try this upgrade with using the flanges let me know.

killer_siller

so around $400?

what about the 205ic and all that jazz?

i know those are REALLY hard to come by.

what about the 205 heat exchanger? did you have any problems fitting that? where did you get yours?

saved_1992

the 205 ic is expensive, anywhere from 400-600 i have seen being sold, i do not have a 205 heat exchanger, i used an ac condensor that is 12x27x1 that was for an older toyota truck 81-86. the condensor i got for free.

acylon

So, if you use the 1/2" spacer on the exh manifold you wouldn't have to moddify the 185 turbo?

Where do you get that spacer?

saved_1992

from my measurements 3/8 should work also, the ones in the pics i bought on ebay, the skinner of the 2 was 35.00 and thicker one was 65.00 but is was much better in quality. just sold the flanges to 91alltrac.

yes no mods needed

ps i will try to track down the place i bought them from

sorry no luck but now i do remember (read old posts) the 3/8 came from ebay the 1/2 inch came from a link on this site (i think Gary posted it up).